New to the forums

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
Hi, my name is Mel and I just joined these forums. I will be adopting my mothers 15 year old blue and gold macaw this weekend as she can no longer take care of him. His name is Jacob and he is such a wonderful bird. I have lived with him for 11 years of my life while I still lived at home with my parents. I have lots of experience with him and also many other birds as my mom had a pet store in the house and she specialized in birds. I took part in helping hand raise baby birds, mostly birds like cockatiels and conures and other small parrots. For 11 years I've seen my mother care for Jacob and now it is my turn. I still visited him very often for the 4 years I've been moved out and the bird absolutely loves me. I know how high maintenance a macaw is and I am ready for the responsibilities entailed in taking care of a macaw. I am new at actually owning a macaw but with lots of experience so I expect the transition to go well and of course my mother will be helping me along the way.

PS: I love the cute parrot emojis on this site :blue1:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Welcome...I'm new at 'parronting' and I wish I had some of your experience already! Well done in taking on such a long-term love/companion commitment.

This forum is full of wonderful experienced people who have a great deal of knowledge and expertise. You will find sound advice and awesome support when needed. This 'community' has assisted myself and Ellie through her first clutch of eggs. I made a few boo boos that had to be corrected. Bah humbug! I will never be 'too old to learn new tricks' eh? Ha ha...

Plus... there's lots of fun stuff as well!!! Take a peek at 'so you know you're a parront when'...finding the listing will help you navigate through the site and get a belly full of laughs for your efforts. The 'game room' looks fun but I haven't had time to 'play' as yet!

Cheers for now,
Debbie

Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
Welcome to the forum!:D

You'll be sure to find lots of help from experienced bird owners

Also we would love to see the macaw, so make sure to post some pictures:)

oh and, what's his name?​

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Mel, you'll have a nice adventure with Jacob. Your early experiences will be of great benefit, as will your mom as she helps ease the transition.

We'll be here to assist with any questions along the way.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Hi Mel,

welcome here.
Wow this is a fun week, the macaw-people are flocking in!

We had quite a lot of ekkies and tiels lately and a few amazons and now 3 macaws+caretakers in a short period. I am so happy, now I can talk shop as well ;) - I only had mine for over a year so am looking forward to exchanging stories.

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
Welcome!

I've joined recently as well.
I used to have a macaw too. He was a lovely military macaw. They're such sweet and funny birds but mine was kind of over bonded to me.

You already know the bird so I hope the transition will go as smoothly as possible~

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Welcome welcome!!! How exciting for you! I'm sure you'll find lots of good advice and friends to share triumphs and challenges with.

Post pics of Jacob! I love B&G's... so much fun. :)

OP
Valyndris

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi, my name is Mel and I just joined these forums. I will be adopting my mothers 15 year old blue and gold macaw this weekend as she can no longer take care of him. His name is Jacob and he is such a wonderful bird. I have lived with him for 11 years of my life while I still lived at home with my parents. I have lots of experience with him and also many other birds as my mom had a pet store in the house and she specialized in birds. I took part in helping hand raise baby birds, mostly birds like cockatiels and conures and other small parrots. For 11 years I've seen my mother care for Jacob and now it is my turn. I still visited him very often for the 4 years I've been moved out and the bird absolutely loves me. I know how high maintenance a macaw is and I am ready for the responsibilities entailed in taking care of a macaw. I am new at actually owning a macaw but with lots of experience so I expect the transition to go well and of course my mother will be helping me along the way.

Hi Valyndris..how is the transition with Jacob? Maybe I should look at the Macaw section...just have you in my thoughts and thanks for participating in May photo of the month. It was good to see you there...:red1:

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"

I missed this post somehow in new members, but caught up with you in Photo of the month. Welcome to the Parrot Forum, You just explained how I got my start in Parrot's as well, with a Moluccan Cockatoo that belonged to my mom, that I adopted at her passing. So I can see we have a lot in common. Jacob is a beautiful B&G, and the skateboard photo is Awesome (Hilarious). Hope to continue to see you around Mel, theres so much great information both here and on the internet, and as long as we seek out to continue to learn, our babies prosper, and when we declare we know it all, is when our birds suffer the results of our decisions. I really can't wait to see more pictures of Jacob, because it describes his personality more than words ever could. :)

Most Reactions