New to these forums

Budgielover93

Mar 14, 2022
Parrots
1 Yellowface Budgie
1 Dilute Budgie
My name is Nathan and I have 2 Budgies. I just got them this week from PetSmart. One is named Avia and the other one I have not named yet because I just got the second parakeet yesterday. I did think about "Ice" at first but not sure yet for the second birds name. At first I just bought one but then i decided that I would rather have a pair because they do better as a pair. I know that there is different pros and cons vs paired and unpaired but im ok with that i did my research first. I chose these budgies for there magnificent colors. The first one named Avia is the one thats blue with a yellow face, i thought that is was different than just the average yellow and green parakeet or blue and white. And then the one that was supposed to be named Ice is white with a ice blue color to it and its wings have some grey to it so it has a winter look to it which i thought was very cool. I used to own a female cockatiel named Zoey like 8-10 years ago that I got already tamed and had a previous owner but it passed away. My grandfathers girlfriend has a parakeet of her own in her room that she has had for 3 years and i have held hers a couples times which made me remember my cockatiel. The past year it has been a decision between a parakeet or another turtle but i decided the parakeet was the better option for me. So here is a picture of my parakeets. I was actually talking to the new bird it was chirping and I was whistling back to it and it was chirping back to me and then the other one was chiming in. The white and ice blue one is more content than the other one. When i put the box in the cage and opened it up and tipped it over the bird did not run for the hills because i touch the boxed it just casually went to the side of the cage and climbed up to the top perch to sit with the other bird and that was it, the new bird was also standing on one leg sometimes. I read that standing on one leg is actually a good thing and that it means the bird is comfortable. The bird actually looked at me when i took the screen shot when it heard the shutter noise but it wasnt scared
20220318_164329.jpg

Attachments

• 20220318_212323.jpg
    20220318_212323.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My name is Nathan and I have 2 Budgies. I just got them this week from PetSmart. One is named Avia and the other one I have not named yet because I just got the second parakeet yesterday. I did think about "Ice" at first but not sure yet for the second birds name. At first I just bought one but then i decided that I would rather have a pair because they do better as a pair. I know that there is different pros and cons vs paired and unpaired but im ok with that i did my research first. I chose these budgies for there magnificent colors. The first one named Avia is the one thats blue with a yellow face, i thought that is was different than just the average yellow and green parakeet or blue and white. And then the one that was supposed to be named Ice is white with a ice blue color to it and its wings have some grey to it so it has a winter look to it which i thought was very cool. I used to own a female cockatiel named Zoey like 8-10 years ago that I got already tamed and had a previous owner but it passed away. My grandfathers girlfriend has a parakeet of her own in her room that she has had for 3 years and i have held hers a couples times which made me remember my cockatiel. The past year it has been a decision between a parakeet or another turtle but i decided the parakeet was the better option for me. So here is a picture of my parakeets. I was actually talking to the new bird it was chirping and I was whistling back to it and it was chirping back to me and then the other one was chiming in. The white and ice blue one is more content than the other one. When i put the box in the cage and opened it up and tipped it over the bird did not run for the hills because i touch the boxed it just casually went to the side of the cage and climbed up to the top perch to sit with the other bird and that was it, the new bird was also standing on one leg sometimes. I read that standing on one leg is actually a good thing and that it means the bird is comfortable. The bird actually looked at me when i took the screen shot when it heard the shutter noise but it wasnt scared
View attachment 37134
They're so cute! I hope you find all the info you need here. If you have any questions, you're more than welcome to post them :)

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Nathan,

Welcome! Your budgies are gorgeous. Can’t wait to see more pics and hear all the fun stories! How wonderful that they are so relaxed already!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome, Nathan! Your budgies are stunning :)

OP
Budgielover93

Budgielover93

Mar 14, 2022
Parrots
1 Yellowface Budgie
1 Dilute Budgie
Hi Nathan,

Welcome! Your budgies are gorgeous. Can’t wait to see more pics and hear all the fun stories! How wonderful that they are so relaxed already!

Hi Nathan,

I actually already have some stuff to share :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-J_LseN1sRlMAWKwQBbzXmf2GnRF59cK/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-51cXkIplhlsITgSdD18ml-seo6ter9i/view?usp=sharing

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
What is the cage size? What are they eating? PetSmart frequently gives incorrect care information.

Also, you don't have a 'Fancy' parakeet, and 'Rare' parakeet (meaning those aren't their mutations), you have a yellowface and what appears to be a dilute! Beautiful mutations!

Your budgies are awesome and look super happy, and we'll help with any questions you have! Welcome to the forums!

OP
Budgielover93

Budgielover93

Mar 14, 2022
Parrots
1 Yellowface Budgie
1 Dilute Budgie
What is the cage size? What are they eating? PetSmart frequently gives incorrect care information.

Also, you don't have a 'Fancy' parakeet, and 'Rare' parakeet (meaning those aren't their mutations), you have a yellowface and what appears to be a dilute! Beautiful mutations!

Your budgies are awesome and look super happy, and we'll help with any questions you have! Welcome to the forums!
My cage size is 25"L x 21"W x 29"H. I originally had the very small $30 dollar cage but I upgraded to the best one I could find at petsmart near me.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My cage size is 25"L x 21"W x 29"H. I originally had the very small $30 dollar cage but I upgraded to the best one I could find at petsmart near me.
Pretty good size! What's their diet? It should consist of seeds, veggies, and pellets. Transitioning them onto veggies and pellets can be hard. Thanks for being a Supporting Member to help keep this forum going!

OP
Budgielover93

Budgielover93

Mar 14, 2022
Parrots
1 Yellowface Budgie
1 Dilute Budgie
Pretty good size! What's their diet? It should consist of seeds, veggies, and pellets. Transitioning them onto veggies and pellets can be hard. Thanks for being a Supporting Member to help keep this forum going!
I have been looking into the diet. Right now i am feeding them kaytees fiesta parakeet food. But i am considering making my own seed mix with :

Organic Quinoa ½ lb
Rape Seed. ½ C
Millet. 1/2lb
Oat Groats 1 C
Hemp Seed 1 C
Whole Brown Flax Seed ½ C
Chia Seed 1 C
Rolled Oats 1 C

I want to take the millet out of the mix so that i can use the regular spray millet treats for training purposes since they love that so much. Thats what Birdtricks on youtube recommended. I do know about the veggie part. I am thinking about trying to see if i can get them to eat veggies already seeing how one of the parakeets is already very outgoing it may be a perfect time to start instead of waiting so maybe ill start that sooner than later.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum, Nathan! Your budgies are absolutely gorgeous.
I'm so happy you joined us and I look forward to watching your journey with them.
As Stormy mentioned thank you for becoming a Supporting Member! We truly appreciate that:)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hey! Welcome! You seem like OUR KINDA FOLKS. I see that our "budgie whisperers" are already embracing you. I am glad you found us. I don't know much about budgies, but... YOURS are BEAUTIFUL!
9lhIlM0.jpg

Plumhead44

May 21, 2013
Parrots
Plumhead Parrot-Raphael "Raf"
I have been looking into the diet. Right now i am feeding them kaytees fiesta parakeet food. But i am considering making my own seed mix with :

Organic Quinoa ½ lb
Rape Seed. ½ C
Millet. 1/2lb
Oat Groats 1 C
Hemp Seed 1 C
Whole Brown Flax Seed ½ C
Chia Seed 1 C
Rolled Oats 1 C

I want to take the millet out of the mix so that i can use the regular spray millet treats for training purposes since they love that so much. Thats what Birdtricks on youtube recommended. I do know about the veggie part. I am thinking about trying to see if i can get them to eat veggies already seeing how one of the parakeets is already very outgoing it may be a perfect time to start instead of waiting so maybe ill start that sooner than later.
Wow -good for you in being so knowledgeable about your new crew! That’s the first thing I did when we found a Plumhead parakeet at a hotel pool 15 yrs ago. I spent the whole weekend on the laptop learning everything I could about birds and plumheads in general. The birds are in such better hands with someone who truly cares about their needs to be healthy, and especially with their unique breathing system. They are beautiful and best wishes for a long happy life together!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
1) First read Reebs sticky post at the top of the budgie forum. I recently got 4 budgies as kind of a rescue....that my quaker took to and is now watching over. Then I got two more where the owner clipped their wings (both were craigslist). So kind of a rescue too. But they are younger and are helping me form a bridge with the others because I leave the cage open when I'm home so I have to go help them back up. DO NOT do this. A budgies only defense is flee. But they new babies sit on shoulder for a bit then I place an arm to the landing ramp of cage and they walk down. But they are funny and very chirpy. If they are chirpy they are happy.

Last edited:

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
View attachment 37134

Most Reactions

Latest posts