New umbrella cockatoo owner (change in droppings!)

UmbrellaMiguel

Feb 24, 2023
Parrots
Umbrella cockatoo, Indian ring neck parrots
Hi! My umbrella cockatoo is 2 years old and we got home almost 3 weeks ago. We didn’t think much of his behavior until we thought he was not eating enough. Sometimes he’ll be relay quiet for most of the day then very social later on when we are all home. He sometimes stands on one leg and seems to be shaking, so I thought he was cold and we fixed that. About 3 days ago we began to feed him banana which he loves, his droppings are now light green with some white urine but less than before. Should I be worried and take him to the vet? Or is he adjusting to the new environment and food?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 37
OP
U

UmbrellaMiguel

Feb 24, 2023
Parrots
Hi! My umbrella cockatoo is 2 years old and we got home almost 3 weeks ago. We didn’t think much of his behavior until we thought he was not eating enough. Sometimes he’ll be relay quiet for most of the day then very social later on when we are all home. He sometimes stands on one leg and seems to be shaking, so I thought he was cold and we fixed that. About 3 days ago we began to feed him banana which he loves, his droppings are now light green with some white urine but less than before. Should I be worried and take him to the vet? Or is he adjusting to the new environment and food?
He’ll also sometimes cry softly instead of his normal voice, I don’t know if I should take that as a sign because later he’ll go back to communicating clearly

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
At 3 weeks he is still settling in. A change in poop appearance is normal with a change in diet. Try feeding him some red beets! You will think he is bleeding to death ( but dont worry). For really keeping track of health, get a cheap kitchen scale and a small free standing perch and start weighing him every few days and keep a record. Dropping weight is one sign of a sick parrot that they can't hide. A loss of more then 2-3% - get thee to a Certified Avian Vet.

OP
U

UmbrellaMiguel

Feb 24, 2023
Parrots
At 3 weeks he is still settling in. A change in poop appearance is normal with a change in diet. Try feeding him some red beets! You will think he is bleeding to death ( but dont worry). For really keeping track of health, get a cheap kitchen scale and a small free standing perch and start weighing him every few days and keep a record. Dropping weight is one sign of a sick parrot that they can't hide. A loss of more than 2-3% - get thee to a Certified Avian Vet.
Today I also noticed he is pooping more than usual, I’m about an hour he has pooped 4 times, is that also okay?

Most Reactions