New User : Hi

galvan.235

Feb 19, 2021
Utah
Parrots
Pineapple Green-Cheeked Conure
:greenyellow: Hey,
My Name is Bianet but I go by BB, I have Pineapple Green Cheek Conure and he is 5 Months.
I decided to create an account on here because I don't know much about birds, I care about my little one (Copper_Cooper):greenyellow: and I hope this website helps me or at least can guide me to the right direction.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome to the forums, BB! Happy you found us. We have lots of conure folks around, and experienced, helpful friends in general. Always feel free to ask questions, we're here to help. Also, if you'd like to share, we love birdie pictures here :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome!! Congratulations on your GCC they are amazing.

This is a great article covers lots if behavior and body language, and even tips on unwanted behavior
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

I share this one as lots of good stuff in it. Good tips even your burd is not stressed. All birds like routines and rituals ect.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Also as I'm dealing with sick birds I want to stress the importance of checking your birds weight. Burds hide being duck until its almost or is to late. One of the tools fir catching a sick bird in the early stages is weight. Most burds will loose weight when sick , because bei g duck burns twice as many calories. So use a digital kitchen gram scale and check and record weight weekly. 3% weight-loss seek veterinarian care. To calculate % weight loss. Take weight lost divide by normal weight x 100 = % lost
So if your GCC is 64g and lost 4 grams
4÷64x 100 = 6.25% and that would be significant, snd an indication something is wrong.
As a still young bird you might still see a slow increase in weight as reaches maturity. Max weight usually at 1-2 years

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! Your best course of action - read, read, and read some more. Read from trusted sources, there is a lot of garbage on line, so be discerning. An excellent place to start are the stickies at the top of every subform here; Behavior, Diet, and so forth. There is a particularly thorough and detailed one in the Amazons subforum, entitled "I Love Amazons". It contains a HUGE amount of information that is applicable to all parrots, worth reading over several times. A good way to get your new conure used to you is to sit closely by his cage and read aloud to him in a soft voice. Parrot love being read to.

Also hugely important is to make the home parrot safe. Look up in the General Health subforum about Teflon and related substances - they are deadly to parrots. Many other household substances or common objects can harm them. Things like scented candles, perfume, Laundry additives, certain types of house plants all can kill your parrot.

As my good friend Laura stated, a good thing to get is an inexpensive kitchen weighing scale, one that displays grams and get in the habit of weighing your Conure and knowing what his average weight is. Birds in general hide illness very well ( the sick one gets eaten), so an excellent way to know if your bird is sick is to know what his "healthy" weight is. A drop of more than 3-5% is cause for alarm and a vet visit.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello BB, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

Great advice above. We're all looking forward to learning more about you and your pineapple green cheek. Peruse the forums, and post away with any questions you may have or stories you'd like to share. If you have questions or concerns about the forum itself, you can reach out to any of the mods. We're the ones in purple.

Congrats on the new member of your household!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard BB and Copper_Cooper! We all begin somewhere, thanks for joining! You'll find some superb advice from our many conure parronts!!

Most Reactions