Newbie Help

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
Hello thank you for having me.

I am a new conure parent; Edward Van Halen hatched in 03/2022. I have had him/her for 2 months. Eddie eats great and seems to thriving great.

I need help with a new development. Eddie is going through a biting stage. I am very usure how to handle this issue because I don't want to scare him or make it worse but he is hurting me?

Thank you for any pointers.

Lori

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

I think this is super common in this stage of their development. For a lot of parrot species, a big reaction is going to get them really excited about what they did to cause the reaction, so as much as you can, try to not react with a big "ow!" and instead just say "be gentle" or "no biting please" and move him away from you for a moment.

If he's doing this when you ask him for a step up, just turn around for a count of 2 - the goal each time is to withdraw attention when he's doing something you don't want.

If he's getting more bitey when he's on you, he'll need to re-earn shoulder privileges.

The good news is that from what I've read here, while GCC can be a little more nippy than some other species, but they also learn very quickly, so this phase should pass with a little work :)

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Also Eddie is doing something else that is very sweet.
When I lay on the couch at night to watch TV, I usually let him on with me.
He has been burrowing in between me and the couch and he will stay there for a long time. I'm hoping this is a bonding experience for him?
Thanks

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Got that right!....I appreciate it.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Yes. Of course, thank you.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
So I purchased a portable perch for Eddie. He seems to like it. But, he is doing something I've never seen him do before. He is making himself throw up and he is flicking it at me???
What should I make of that? Any idea what that means?

sandra1

Jan 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
sun conure
pineapple conure
I have a pineapple green cheek Bella and if I don't have a treat or toy in my hand when I ask her to step up, she will take a chunk out of me. She's almost 9 months old. I'm hoping one day very soon she'll grow out of that. I try to not to react but it hurts.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
I know it does hurt lol

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I am no expert in this department but I found this video pretty helpful!

If your bird is a foody I would give one of his favorite foods to him while he is around you. This way your bird will associate you with good things. I would also try to time your interactions with you bird... is he a morning bird or does he get cranky in the evening.

I noticed with Hope (GCC) she gets hungry and cranky rewards bed time . Before I interact with her I make sure she has eaten and not too late. I also noticed I can't take her out of the cage right away ... I have to let her do her own morning routine before she is ready to hang on the door for me to come retrieve her.

The video mentions that birds like babies and puppies taste their world so I have been doing a variety of different yummy foods.

Hope was extremely nippy in the pet store ... not the first day(I had her out for only a couple of minutes);
but the subsequent visits biting was all she did.... I personally thought this was because her environment was a not very nurturing including the one staff member (the only one I saw interact with her ... laughed at the nippy behavior and would kinda incourage it). I like to point out she wasn't mean about it but she demonstrated not know how to interact (she wanted to be petted but then would nail you and not let go... I had alot of indents)

Every day she is becoming less nippy and more of a nibblier because she enjoys tasting everything!!!

Hope this helps and please share photos!

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Thank you so much for sharing that video with me.
I work a lot so I was thinking I need to spend more time with him. Unfortunately, when I am home I have things to do on my computer and he just wasn't staying on my shoulder. So I got him this really cool perch to put on my desk top while I am on my computer and he really digs it.
I have also started to talk calmer and more smoothing when he becomes nippy and it seems to be helping.
I don't know what I'm doing but I'm trying different things lol

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
So my Eddie makes this purring sound....do you guys know what this means?

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Ok this is funny (I think). I was laying on the couch with Eddie and he started to grab my chin and putting his beak on my lip and licking me. Is this normal and what does it mean? I am so confused.

Thank you in advance for your help.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Hello thank you for having me.

I am a new conure parent; Edward Van Halen hatched in 03/2022. I have had him/her for 2 months. Eddie eats great and seems to thriving great.

I need help with a new development. Eddie is going through a biting stage. I am very usure how to handle this issue because I don't want to scare him or make it worse but he is hurting me?

Thank you for any pointers.

Lori
Eddie sounds like a character already. :]

This thread is similar and had some good replies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok this is funny (I think). I was laying on the couch with Eddie and he started to grab my chin and putting his beak on my lip and licking me. Is this normal and what does it mean? I am so confused.

Thank you in advance for your help.
He likes you and is grooming or kissing you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts