Jc1

Sep 22, 2017
Proud new owner of a 3-6 year old senegal. Will be having a lot of questions.
Previous owner gave her to me because they said she squawked and cried all the time and talked all the time and was a biter. I've had her for 4 days and she hasn't squawked or cried a single time yet. So far she hasn't spoke but last night, if you fake a sneeze, she will sneeze and she meows when you come in the room. I haven't tried to touch her yet but so far I've hand fed her a treat and not been bit yet.

I've been reading that I need to try to change her to a mostly pellet diet. So far I've just been giving her the food that came with her. I figured it wasn't best to change her diet until she got settled into her new home and not stress her any more than necessary? The food that came with her is 3d Premium Parrot food with Vit. a, Omega 3&6 and probiotics. I'm assuming this is all she's ever had, looks mostly seed blends with some pellets in it. Is this stuff any good? If not, How long should I let her settle in before I start trying to change her to a better diet?
Thanks in advance.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello, welcome, congratulations!!!

I'm not personally familiar with Senegals but we have a great group of members who are. They will probably be along to answer your species specific questions. Sounds like you've adopted quite the little character there.

I've found when it comes to diet all parrots have their own ideas. I wouldn't try to force a new diet all at once, instead continue to offer healthy choices while reducing the total amount of seed. Vegetables, fruits and grains should be a big part of a parrot's daily diet. If vegetables have never been offered it may take a little longer but most parrots will come around. Seed is okay in moderation but pet parrots exercise less than their wild counterparts so long term a seed diet can be harmful to your parrot's health. Pellets are a better choice than an all seed diet but again, a daily bowl of fresh chop in addition to pellets and a little seed is a better choice. Variety and moderation is the key.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My usual 2 centavos...

Harrison's Bird Foods
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. 30-ish years ago, Harrison's was still a small company. My vet was actually able to talk to Dr. Harrison about my bird's species and status, and they decided on the High Potency. Some birds should be on Regular, so ask your avia vet. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff. My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
welcome and good job on taking her in!

She will be more quiet than usual in a new environment until settled, but it's a good opportunity to show you're a friend and she gets more fuss when she's more relaxed. Of course if she squawked and the previous owner came running flailing, shouting and whatever of course that'll encourage her (strange how birds, known for the vocalizations are noisy)

I'd do exactly as you have done and wait for her to chill before changing any food. The stuff she has now sounds better than what some get.

Just remember you need to show her us humanoids aren't all bad and earn her trust (treats are a good starting point). A senegal can pack a punch with the beak when they want but it's not often. I suspect the previous owner like many people think that any touch of the beak is a furious unrelenting attack. You'll know if you're getting bit by them by the extreme pain and blood trickling down haha

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I'm no expert on birds, but I have a Senegal who is a little sweetheart. She's also a garbage disposal. I would keep her on her current diet as not to stress her out like you said, but start offering fresh vegetables and a little fruit. Whatever you have on hand, my Senegal loves shredding Brussels sprouts, carrots, kale, broccoli and apples. Gradually start limiting the seeds and offering more pellets and fresh pieces of vegetables with some occasional fruits. There are of course some dangerous fruits and vegetables for birds like avacodo and onion so make sure you know the list.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Also you dont have to completely get rid of the seed, you just dont want it to be their main diet because the seeds are mostly fat content. Healthy fat, but in moderation.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
The seeds can be used as training treats, but make sure they aren't part of the main diet. Pet parrots should have a diet consisting of pellets, veggies, fruits, and grains, not just pellets. For pellets, I use a mixture of TOP's pellets, Harrison's, and some Roudybush.

OP
J

Jc1

Sep 22, 2017
Thanks for all the advice and comments. I live in a small town, maybe 150 people. Anyway, nearest pet store is about 30 miles away and the only pellets they had were a brand called Zupreme? Gave her those all day starting Saturday and then around 7:30 at night gave her the seed mix until bedtime around 9:30 or 10:00. She actually is eating the pellets pretty well. Some of them she drops in her water dish. Tried her on some mixed vegetables but she wouldn't touch them. Going to get here a check up and look for a larger cage. The cage that came with her is 20 inches high and 20x15. From what I've read on the net, that is too small.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Zupreme is a common brand of pellet. There is also Kaytee. They are not bad but there are others of higher quality as mentioned above. There are a few good online bird stores that you can get the really good stuff from. If your bird will eat them, try the natural versions without all the added coloring. Probably a little more bland in taste but overall I would rather do without making the pellets all colorful. That is more for human benefit than bird. Though I will say that my Blue Crown Tootsie will only eat the yellow Zupreme pellets. I have never gotten her to even nibble at any others. But since she came to me on a 100% seed diet and it took a long time to get her to eat any pellets at all, I consider it a win.

My Senegal is a little piggy bird too. And he has gained weight this summer without a change in the type of food he gets. I'm not happy with how much he has gained. Does not feel like fat but Senegals are such solid feeling birds compared to others it is hard to tell for sure. Pellets, fruits & veggies is mainly what he gets. He gnoshes them all down. I give him the occasional nut as a treat and less healthy human foods are off the menu. I will allow him to eat off a corner of my plate which I will put food suitable for him on. But, like any kid, he sure loves the inappropriate foods. I made the mistake of having him on the kitchen counter when I was making up a mini pizza for dinner. He snagged a pepperoni slice right out of my hand and was gone before I realized what happened. By the time I chased him down and got it away from him, the little brat had eaten over half of it.

You said your bird drops some of her pellets in her water dish. They actually like to soak them to make them softer and easier to eat. Some birds drop a lot of pellets in the water. You might hear that called "making soup". Be sure to change your bird's water at least twice a day if she is doing that. It is a rich environment for things to grow in. My other Blue Crown and, to a lesser extent, the Senegal both make soup. Rosco puts so many pellets in his water that if I work late the water can have a bit of an odor when I come home and change it out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts