Newby Conure Mom

Specialpk

Oct 1, 2021
Parrots
Blue crown conures & Indian Ringnecks
Hello everyone :green2: My name is Karen. My roommate and I own 3 beautiful Conures and 9 Indian Ringnecks. She is very knowledgeable but I am not. I'm here because I want to learn from everyone which I hope will make me a good mom to these babies I love so much.

For a couple of months, two of our Conures have had very smelly poop and I am very worried. They eat Tropican pellets and nothing's changed in terms of their diet. They are indoors now though we had them in an aviary outside for months which they enjoyed so much but for reasons I don't care to recount, we do not have that option anymore. But while outside they were well protected and nothing other than space and flight is different now.

Two of the three Conures are a couple and share a cage, but their poop is really smelly, I am so worried. They are active and playful and have great appetites. No discharge from their noses or eyes. Their plumage is beautiful as well and nothing is physically off. I need help, please.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, Specialpk and your flock!

Do your birds eat anything other than Tropican, like fresh or steamed vegetables? My budgie and cockatiel are on the slightly smaller variation, Tropimix, and do very well on it. The also get a variety of veg, mainly fresh leafy greens because they seem to prefer those. I've linked up our "Parrot Food, Diet & Recipes" sub-forum here. There are some stickies towards the top highlighted in (very pale) pink including ideas on chop recipes and how to get your birdies to eat healthier that might give you some inspiration :)

I am by no means an expert on all aspects of parrot health, but conure poop really should not smell. If you are concerned about this, a trip to an avian vet may be in order. Understanding there may be limits on availability wherever in the world you are located, but the link below may help you to find one if you are not already familiar with one...

Hoping that all is well with your babies, and thanks again for joining and reaching out! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts