Newly adopted Red Sun used to eat moldy seeds, help!

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I couldn't help but bought a 4 yrs old male red factor sun from a breeder who just quitted his hobby and selling all his birds.
He sold this red factor sun to me at nearly half the going price.
I hope my son won't mind. I know by heart nothing could replace my son.
I need a bird to take care of, so I can feel happy again.

The breeder told me that this sun was hand fed initially. He was friendly to human until he got a mate.
Sadly, his mate passed away due to eggs getting stuck.
And this red sun became aggressive towards human. The sun would bite anyone who tried to handle him, so he would put on gloves every time.

Red sun is not yet aggressive towards me and does not seem to be afraid of me.
I hand fed him some kiwi through the cage.
The breeder gave me some seeds that he fed the sun.

Guess what, the entire seed bag is plagued by a massive amount of green mold, and smells strong. The green mold is everywhere, in and outside peanuts, sunflower seeds and 10 other kinds of seed that I don't recognize.
I then discovered that the red sun also smells like mold and possibly has some green mold on his feathers.
It is extremely dangerous to feed a parrot such things, I instantly tossed that bag of moldy seed.

Now I'm worried.
The red sun appears fine though (not sick), should I take him to a vet?
His feathers are not as vibrant as my deceased son.
He would eat if I hand feed him through the cage, but he won't eat anything in the food and water bowls at the bottom of the cage.
He does not appear to be a fan of Tropican Lifetime Formula which I fed my son with.

IMG_8717.JPG

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would definitely take him to the vet and have bloodwork done and do some swabs to check for fungal infection. Probably start him on some anti fungal and probiotics. Even if he comes back clean I would start him on probiotics for a time being just to help with some healthy gut flora.

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I would definitely take him to the vet and have bloodwork done and do some swabs to check for fungal infection. Probably start him on some anti fungal and probiotics. Even if he comes back clean I would start him on probiotics for a time being just to help with some healthy gut flora.
Thanks, that's a good idea! Fungal infection can be lethal and it's definitely worth a vet visit.
I'm not sure if I can take him to the vet now since he might just bite everyone. Maybe wait for a few days till he settle down?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Thanks, that's a good idea! Fungal infection can be lethal and it's definitely worth a vet visit.
I'm not sure if I can take him to the vet now since he might just bite everyone. Maybe wait for a few days till he settle down?
No, i would definitely take him ASAP. It might stress him out and he won't like it but its for his own benefit. Fungal infections can turn deadly really fast and just because he seems okay right now doesn't mean he will be tomorrow. Vet clinics are trained to deal with "unruly" patients. Any one in an animal related field is. They'll be okay. This is definitely a case of a necessary evil.

OP
SunConureBaba

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
No, i would definitely take him ASAP. It might stress him out and he won't like it but its for his own benefit. Fungal infections can turn deadly really fast and just because he seems okay right now doesn't mean he will be tomorrow. Vet clinics are trained to deal with "unruly" patients. Any one in an animal related field is. They'll be okay. This is definitely a case of a necessary evil.
I see. I will make a few phone calls today and try to take him to a vet tomorrow. Also ordering some seed mix just in case he won't eat Tropican.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I once fed my birds moldy pellets without noticing.. I can't believe I didn't notice the green mold 😳 My birds are still okay now though... never managed to get them to a vet. I think it's still a good idea to be on the safe side.

Most Reactions