Newly-Hatched Cockatiel Complications! Help!

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
Hey guys!

So, we have a newly-hatched cockatiel- born just today, in fact! It keeps making a soft chirping noise in clusters every now and then. I was wondering whether this had any meaning, or if it's just like a 'hey! I'm alive!' kind of thing. It hasn't been under the wing of either the male or female cockatiel, but the temperature inside the box is perfect for the chick it seems. It's been 9 hours since it was born, although I don't know whether it has been fed or not. Do I need to do anything?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Aww! I think the chicks start talking to mom and dad while in the egg and getting ready to hatch. So now the baby is out and testing itā€™s lungs.

I think the chick has a bit of the yolk sac left over when they just hatch. Chickens and turkeys donā€™t need to eat for a day or two after they hatch. Maybe cockatiels are same way?

You donā€™t have to do anything. Mom or dad will start feeding the baby soon. Hungry baby chicks make a shrill (but cute) noise to let parents know theyā€™re hungryšŸ™‚

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
Aww! I think the chicks start talking to mom and dad while in the egg and getting ready to hatch. So now the baby is out and testing itā€™s lungs.

I think the chick has a bit of the yolk sac left over when they just hatch. Chickens and turkeys donā€™t need to eat for a day or two after they hatch. Maybe cockatiels are same way?

You donā€™t have to do anything. Mom or dad will start feeding the baby soon. Hungry baby chicks make a shrill (but cute) noise to let parents know theyā€™re hungryšŸ™‚
Ahh good! Thank you for letting me know! I was worrying a little but it seems like the chick has managed to make itā€™s way to momma and is now sleeping under her wing. His chirping is so cute and Iā€™m glad itā€™s nothing bad or abnormal!

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
Ah! The chick appears to have grown normally throughout the night, yet a black line is visible across his abdomen. Instinctively I don't feel like that's a good thing. Could it just be because of me shining my torchlight? The parents have been eating well and it looks like they did feed the baby (some yellow regurgitation has stained an egg and the momma's beak) so I'm unsure as to what could have caused this. They're eating vegetables and eggfood. This is the list of their veggies:

- Red Cabbage
- Carrot
- Sweetcorn
- Kale
- Basil
- Broccoli
- Cauliflower
- Red Pepper

Yesterday I added some chicken and pasta (a small amount for carbs and protein- no seasoning or anything!). Since I'm concerned, I've added a probiotic supplement to the food today along with making the eggfood a bit more watery. Should I do/undo anything else? The chick appears energetic, attempting to stand and moving its head around.

@Noahs_Birds @HeatherG Sorry for the pings! But it seems like you two would know about this

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Is the black line a vein? I have no idea what this is. I would just let mom and dad take care of him.

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
Is the black line a vein? I have no idea what this is. I would just let mom and dad take care of him.
I'm unsure- I've read that it may be internal haemorrhaging or an infection, but then.. Well, the internet is the internet! Since it's just a black line and the rest of the behaviours seem normal, it might be fine? The best course of treatment that they recommend is a probiotic and watery food fed to the parents- and then a visit to the vet. Unfortunately, I'd have to drive very far to an Avian vet which I wouldn't mind doing- except that the chick is so young and fragile. Hopefully it'll all work out and I'm just overreacting!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You can send a photo if you want. I might know what the ā€œlineā€ is. It may be normal anatomy. I couldnā€™t say now, though; canā€™t think of what this could be.

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
You can send a photo if you want. I might know what the ā€œlineā€ is. It may be normal anatomy. I couldnā€™t say now, though; canā€™t think of what this could be.
1649226759406.png

This was the best that I could get, unfortunately! My male cockatiel likes to charge so it's hard to get photos of the nest when he's in it. That line runs horizontally across the chick's entire abdomen, though.

Last edited:
OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei

The half-red egg was sealed by wax since Milo kicked it off of the box while charging at me while I was looking into the nest- he's very protective and I'm not worried about being bitten, but I am worried about him trampling the chick or breaking another egg. Fortunately, I was able to seal the egg within 5 minutes. It's continued to develop and has no bad smell or anything. It was close to hatching anyway so it might survive! I don't think it has any bacteria, but maybe that backstory can make you think of something.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That wax is a good way to seal an egg. In school, I used to give vaccines to chicken and turkey eggs. A cut or hole doesnā€™t automatically kill the chick. But his dad looks angry!

I canā€™t see the line very well. What I see looks like a dark organ towards the chickā€™s back, and what Iā€™m guessing is a vein. The chick is so tiny and curled up I canā€™t even quite tell what part of the torso Iā€™m looking at so I canā€™t guess what that organ is. But Iā€™m sure itā€™s supposed to be there! Itā€™s not an infection or hemorrhage.

I would just leave mom and dad and chicks alone. Feed and water them well and donā€™t mess with them. I see dad gets very upset when you look in the nest box. The chick looks a good color and is very very young. Itā€™s best to disturb birds with eggs or tiny chicks as little as possible. Parent birds can abandon or eat their babies if they feel the nest is in so much danger itā€™s not worth tending.

Youā€™re feeding them really well. Be patient and let things happen.

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
That wax is a good way to seal an egg. In school, I used to give vaccines to chicken and turkey eggs. A cut or hole doesnā€™t automatically kill the chick. But his dad looks angry!

I canā€™t see the line very well. What I see looks like a dark organ towards the chickā€™s back, and what Iā€™m guessing is a vein. The chick is so tiny and curled up I canā€™t even quite tell what part of the torso Iā€™m looking at so I canā€™t guess what that organ is. But Iā€™m sure itā€™s supposed to be there! Itā€™s not an infection or hemorrhage.

I would just leave mom and dad and chicks alone. Feed and water them well and donā€™t mess with them. I see dad gets very upset when you look in the nest box. The chick looks a good color and is very very young. Itā€™s best to disturb birds with eggs or tiny chicks as little as possible. Parent birds can abandon or eat their babies if they feel the nest is in so much danger itā€™s not worth tending.

Youā€™re feeding them really well. Be patient and let things happen.
Ah, I'm so glad to hear it! Thank you! I'll be sure to leave them alone. I usually check once in the morning and then before I go to bed- mum doesn't mind when I look in but the dad really hates it, even though he is the tamest outside of the nest! When my dad looked in during the incubation phase (without telling me :mad:) the birds abandoned the nest for a day. Fortunately, as you can see, the eggs were able to revive! I'm really glad that you think that the chick is fine :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ah, I'm so glad to hear it! Thank you! I'll be sure to leave them alone. I usually check once in the morning and then before I go to bed- mum doesn't mind when I look in but the dad really hates it, even though he is the tamest outside of the nest! When my dad looked in during the incubation phase (without telling me :mad:) the birds abandoned the nest for a day. Fortunately, as you can see, the eggs were able to revive! I'm really glad that you think that the chick is fine :)
If you must look in, could you block the entrance hole to the nest box so dad is not tearing around in there? It will tick him off but is better than another accident.

OP
Dozi

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
If you must look in, could you block the entrance hole to the nest box so dad is not tearing around in there? It will tick him off but is better than another accident.
Yep! Although in general I'd like to avoid opening the box while the dad is there. When he's outside of the box, I can distract him from entering with food and scritches- he's only a problem when he's inside. I should be able to block the entrance off with a spatula or something.

Most Reactions

Latest posts