Nibbling my finger

Jupiter1914

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus parrot named Kirby
I have a 4 month old eckie and I’ve so far have had fun for a little over 2 weeks. He has seemed to start opening up and showing behaviors that seem a bit weird? For one this morning he was acting like he just went nuts. Flapping wings preening fast, and darting his head. I assumed he was bored so I spent most of the day interacting with him. Then later on while I was playing with him, he used his foot to pull my finger in and gently nibble it. It didn’t hurt and just seemed like he was teething my finger or possibly preening it. But still he did put some pressure. I didn’t react an just squeezed his beak gently and wiggled it around until he let go. I’m just wondering if he’s warming up to me or if this is a bad sign that I’m doing something wrong. Any thing helps!

OP
Jupiter1914

Jupiter1914

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus parrot named Kirby
I have a 4 month old eckie and I’ve so far have had fun for a little over 2 weeks. He has seemed to start opening up and showing behaviors that seem a bit weird? For one this morning he was acting like he just went nuts. Flapping wings preening fast, and darting his head. I assumed he was bored so I spent most of the day interacting with him. Then later on while I was playing with him, he used his foot to pull my finger in and gently nibble it. It didn’t hurt and just seemed like he was teething my finger or possibly preening it. But still he did put some pressure. I didn’t react an just squeezed his beak gently and wiggled it around until he let go. I’m just wondering if he’s warming up to me or if this is a bad sign that I’m doing something wrong. Any thing helps!
Sorry I meant I’ve had “him” for 2 weeks

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi, I remember when my boy did this, he would suddenly start bobbing his head, flapping and growling at the air, jump a little just like shadow boxing. now he is a bit older he doesn’t do it quite so much. Though he did it yesterday with lots of running around too Lol. im pretty sure he is just playing and feeling joyous.
I Wouldn’t encourage the grabbing and nibbling though. I’d try to gently remove your finger or/and distract his beak away from you. Solo still does this to me (without the grabbing) and I’m still trying to train him to let go. A firm frown and a gentle no seems to work fairly well. in general we seem to have reached an understanding I don’t stroke his chest..he doesn’t bite me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts