OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico heard back from his vet. I made her aware that I had to start feeding him whatever he would eat as he went from 353g to 330g within 24 hours. I didn’t have a choice but to revert Nico temporarily back to his seed diet. He’s now back up to 352g. We are going to check back in with the vet after his meds are finished if he is still having respiratory issues.

I am trying to do research on humidity for parrots. I feel like if it’s too dry Nico is effected negatively, and if it’s too humid bacteria grows (infections).

I am also using the vet grade disinfectant for all parrot cleaning now. I’m hoping this will help with Nico’s infections.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh poor Nico, and poor you - it's such an emotional roller coaster when one of our babies is ill. Happy though that Nico is keeping his food down a little better now, hopefully giving his meds a much better chance of working. Hugs and prayers for you both! 🤗🤗🙏🙏

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Oh poor Nico, and poor you - it's such an emotional roller coaster when one of our babies is ill. Happy though that Nico is keeping his food down a little better now, hopefully giving his meds a much better chance of working. Hugs and prayers for you both! 🤗🤗🙏🙏
I’ve been kind of hesitant to talk about reverting Nico back to a seed diet temporarily. I know that there are strong opinions on a chop diet for Ekkie’s. I understand why that is. However I can’t let him not eat, and I’ll take even take him eating seeds as a win at this point.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Your instincts are spot on. Nico needs to eat, period. The best diet in the world is of no value if he won't eat it. I'd keep offering the good stuff, but make sure he's getting something that he does eat. I can't remember, have you tried supplementing with baby bird formula? Lots of calories and easily digestible if he'll take it.

Continued prayers for you and your handsome little man 🙏🙏🙏

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I hope Mr. Nico is eating something for you.

I just got a giant box of Cheerios and I’d forgotten how much parrots like them. That was one of the things I could always get Gonzo to eat. She also like human baby food, especially squash, with baby bird formula mixed in. But I think she mostly liked being spoon fed.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Nico is eating normal again. I just can’t add any sort of medication to his food. It has to be the syringe way unfortunately. He only has 8 more days of his medication left.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nico is eating normal again. I just can’t add any sort of medication to his food. It has to be the syringe way unfortunately. He only has 8 more days of his medication left.
Well, I’m glad he’ll eat if his food is prepared without medication. Birds have evolved to be ‘suspicious’ of food that tastes wrong or adulterated. It keeps them from getting poisoned.

I hope nico is feeling better after having meds for a little while and I REALLY HOPE they help with the enterobacter and aspergillosis. Aspergillosis is hard to get rid of. Can the vet check to see that it’s eliminated from his body? It’s a tough tough bug.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
E06B5F7D-8D01-4340-9DC6-13DAA7CEEB2F.jpeg

Nico is growing some of his nasal feathers back!! I hope this is a good sign that his infection is clearing up.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Nico is camping this weekend. He will post photos of his pontoon ride later. He decided to not eat. So I had to hand feed him. He loves being hand fed! I think I just created more issues 🤦‍♀️ What can one do? 😢

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh I hope Nico enjoys his camping trip, perhaps a trip to the great outdoors might be just the ticket to stimulate his appetite? 🙏🙏🙏 Looking forward to pics of his adventures on that pontoon ride too 💖

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh what a brave and handsome boy you are, Nico, and looking magnificent with the sun's rays on you too! :love: I hope the rest of your weekend is just as wonderful 🤗

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
85BD869B-D2D7-40EC-8467-DFB61ED71D2D.jpeg

Nico’s new stand that I got off Facebook marketplace. I had to disinfect it, but it was such a great deal. I hope he loves it.
B01BF011-F18D-4F2C-99D2-94A39771B3D9.jpeg

A6D9E545-3313-4FAA-B549-34DA662AD228.jpeg

This is Nico’s old stand. For whatever reason the legs started moving in, and it collapsed. Nico is fine, but it did scare him. My husband said the bolts basically go through a unthreaded hole, and it just holds up the stand this way which is why this happened.

Just thought I’d mention it encase someone else has this stand.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
View attachment 43484
He is just standing back there screaming… I am thinking Nico doesn’t deal well with change!
Peekaboo, Nico, I see you, lovely boy!! :love:

Gee now that I see Nico on that stand I realise how HUGE it is! I hope he gets accustomed to it - that is a thing of beauty!

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
82D32FA8-0846-41FE-AC61-B1B631CFB7E3.jpeg

I’ve been sick the past few weeks. I didn’t want to leave Nico in his over night room all day, or for a few days while I rest. So I brought him to my bedroom during the day while I rest. Needless to say Nico loves spending every single minute with me. Now when I put him back in his overnight room he screams repeatedly! Needless to say I’m pretty sure I just created behaviors 😢

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh kme, I'm so sorry to hear you have been ill lately :( Sending warmest feathered hugs, all positive wishes and healing energies your way, and I wish you a swift return to good health 🙏🙏🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts