Nightmares continue

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
my pair have a room of there , it truly has Improved there temperament. I think all who suggested this . for about a year now I notice night time noises , after some investigation while I suspect it’s her and not him I can’t confirm . it’s always low volume but is noises they make . How much at a given time is usually one noise and that’s it , but it is a few times a night . Happens after a few hours of roosting . It’s not noises they make if scared or fighting with each other. It’s like a low muttering . they do this in both homes too. I am at times a very light sleeper I hear noises I think most would not. I have had birds who mutter while going to sleep , but not once a sleep. the noises are done while there heads are reversed . What I have seen and they do this during the while they are taking a nap. but there heads are not reversed , sorry if there is a name for this please post it. I have 3 vets and no one says it’s an issue but no one acts like they have had birds that do it late at night. There room here in New York has no windows and a door . Down south it’s a gated place so no trucks or ghetto blaster cars. any ideas or do I let it be.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Do you have any tents/huts in there? That could cause weird/undesirable hormonal behaviors (including vocalizations). Make sure you have no nesty spaces or shadowy spaces in their cage. I would also provide separate food/water access for both, in the event that there is any competition. Some birds do make some noise when falling asleep (but mainly beak grinding etc).

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My Sun Conure sometimes talks in her sleep. Well, I should say "vocalizes," as, so far she doesn't actually "talk," nor make any sounds that sound like speech. But when awake she does make intentionally representative noises.

Sometimes her nighttime vocalizations seem to be commentary on a nighttime sound that has or has not occurred. (I put sleep videos on youtube at night, or a fan, etc., which she will imitate.) But occasionally she will make other "daytime" sounds as well. If I check on her, she will usually appear to be asleep.

My Sunnie likes to sleep in pitch-dark, and, wants to go to sleep an hour or two Before sunset. In Pitch Dark. I recently got new, "total blackout" curtains for her cage and am a slight bit worried, as the label says they will muffle sounds also. I am slightly concerned I might not hear her, now, when she vocalizes softly.

Normally when she vocalizes, I will wake up a little and sing a phrase or two of her good night song, since I figure she could possibly be having a bad dream, and I want to reassure her. If she makes any sound other than, like, complaining that the sleep-video sound has stopped, I will give the soothing "It's okaayy" that I use frequently with the birds whenever something startles them, so they know that, well, it's okay. :) So I want to be able to continue to hear, and thus reassure her, at nighttime.

Anyway all this to say, based on my experience with my Sunny, I believe that "talking" in sleep is not generally any more alarming in birds than in humans.

I would suspect, it might be more rare, as they are more generations closer to wild, and in the wild it might be a non-survival trait. As it might reveal birds' location to nighttime Predators. So I think -possibly?- sleep-talking Might occur much Less-frequently in birds. But at least based on my own Sunny, I don't think it's any kind of problem. She has done it all along.

Iyanden

Feb 9, 2021
Bay area
Parrots
Female eclectus (Celeste, ~3 yrs old)
My female eclectus sleeps in a covered cage, but I've heard her make sounds occasionally in the middle of the night. The sounds are quite different from the sounds she makes during the day. Sometimes, it feels like it's a response to sounds she hears, like if we use the bathroom or from the garbage truck, but not always.

OP
A

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
I can add this , the room is about 12 by 12 the cage is in close proximity to middle for night . During the day it’s more to one side . they sleep side by side almost touching . I have tried two water cups day or night . The result usbthey use only one . In fact I put two bowels on top of the cage , one water and 9ne food . Rarely do they use the water on top. the top gas a big tray I keep paper on top and put fresh each day . I have tried removing the tray . They both get spooked I assume it’s been there the whole time so I’ll take credit for creating this behavior. there is no toys or boxes in there cage . I alt toys but mostly nothing inside . They are Loose from when I get up and feed them 530 am . I have learned put them to bed by 7pm . I leave pellets in the cage at times they eat and use the Water bowels to dip the pellets into the water . I do check the water 2 or three times before I turn in. I have a dim light I installed just for this. I use headphones to watch tv most times and my audio video room is loud enough to bother them. they scream in there room during the day while I’m playing music or surround tv . I will say the more they sleep the calmer they are even playing less stressful with toys. I never had a pair of birds and these guys are not like my others. they run to me when I go into there room her much faster. him less . But a seed or what ever and they love me like a dog happy to see you . I have decided to let them fly when there feathers come in . I big ty to all .

Most Reactions