Nike on antibiotics

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I brought Nike for her annual wing clip and also nails and spurred on by Laura's questioning of her appearance I asked for a wellness checkup as well. The CAV thought she looked OK and was strong but he heard a little raspiness in her lungs. Because of her age he thought that worse case it might be an enlarged heart for which there isn't a good bird treatment for or it might just be seasonal. Anyway rather than having an xray done which would only rule out the heart issue, we decided on a course of Clavamox. We'll do the further investigation if the Clavamox doesn't help.

I'm really not too worried because she is especially rough with her tail feathers which was the genesis of Laura's comment and she acts totally normal including activity level and strength. As a matter of fact she's so strong that her normal clip isn't slowing her down at all and even with 5 flight feathers gone she's flying all over the house, a condition which normally only lets her gracefully fly to the floor.

Anyway, remembering the problems that Jim had getting meds into Amy I was mostly concerned about that process especially considering that Nike is a very picky eater.

But as you can see in this video, she readily takes the bubblegum smelling meds from the syringe. I load the syringe with a little more than she's supposed to get which is actually very little for this 195 gram bird and I just expel the fluid in about 3 squirts, allowing her to lap it up. I realize that this isn't as good as squirting the exact dose down her throat but it's way better that trying to give it in food.

I plan on extending her course about 5 days to get through the week and then we have to let it work for at least another week before they want to see her again. I'm pretty hopeful that this will do it. If it's the age related heart thing then I guess we'll investigate if meds can help or diet or whatever.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBOJM6CAaqE"]Nike Meds - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Great video, great job on getting meds in! I'm a big fan of your gorgeous parrot! Full of envy too!!@ you guys are great together. What a neat parrot!!@ love her vocalization too.

What is her weight? Any changes??

My CAV isn't a big fan if any if the antibiotics in the amoxicillin family, as documented to not be that effective in birds. She texted me a photo from her avian med book. ( don't have that still) I did research, and added some info in ornithology thread on this. Sorry to be a downer, I'm just sharing the information I have. If things don't change it might be that a different antibiotic like doxycycline might be more effective.

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Laura, her weight has been rock steady at 195 grams.

thanks for the med info.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That's great! Fits in with your observations, that might be more behavioral.

Hawkhead definitely #1 on my wishlist. Saw one for sale for 5, 000!!!@@

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Seems a wise course of action, Bill. Hopefully not heart related, but if so there are meds to help manage. Given Nike's activity, whatever the cause appears very early stage. I'm amazed to watch her easily take meds, she's one in a million!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Have dealt with Amazons with Heart problems.
It is my hope that Nike has a slight infection and the mediation is helpful.
Yup! Part of the Nike cheering team here, good friend!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Her weight is steady. I don't know if it's all in my head but to me she looks a little less disheveled.

Activity and eating continues to be normal.

Her activity level between 4 and 7 pm is just crazy, which again is normal. Lots of noises, raised feathers, running back and forth, front to back, and not letting my wife hear the news. It's 8 now and she hasn't wound down yet.

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Just came from the Vet and Nike got a clean bill of health. Her lungs were quiet so the clavamox did the trick, or it was something else, who really knows.

I'll do bloodwork at her scheduled annual in November.

All the vets are still curbside service and again the tech came out with her after the exam exclaiming how sweet and fun she was and how she was clamoring for attention and going from shoulder to shoulder. The tech would giggle and Nike would laugh causing more giggling.

There must have been some heavy petting going on in there because Nike was making her hormonal sounds all the way home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts