Conureeees

Feb 16, 2023
Parrots
Fritz, Sun conure
Amigo, GCC
Sundown, Cockatiel
Oyster, Cockatiel
Thunder, Cockatiel
My new GCC, Amigo, is nipping me, even when Iā€™m not petting him, he is will find my fingers and bite them. I also have my Sun Conure, Fritz, out and he keeps on trying to bite my fingers when I pet Fritz and starts picking on Fritz for defending me as well as sometimes trying to bite Fritz or invade his space. Any tips? I got him not too long ago, he is clipped (not by my decision) and his tail feathers are messed up. I am laying on my bed and even though he is seemingly mad at my fingers and Fritz he doesnā€™t move away or anything and when I try to get him away from my fingers/Fritz he keeps coming back towards me. Any suggestions/ideas/things I am doing wrong? TIA

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm sounds like your new GCC may be jealous.
Perhaps, while heā€™s still ā€˜newā€™ maybe donā€™t let both birds out at the same time?
My GCC was very nippy when I first adopted him, as of almost 2 years since I brought him home, bites are very rare.
Avoid trying to pet him when heā€™s heightened, Iā€™ve established a question/answer system with my GCC and my Quaker.
As them if you can pet them, I offer my hand a few inches away, if Tom (GCC) wants a pet he comes over to my hand and cuddles, if not he ignores me.
With my Quaker, I ask to pet, if yes he fluffs up his head and neck if no he ignores my hand.
Same principal to stepping up too.
Hope this helps! šŸ˜Š

OP
Conureeees

Conureeees

Feb 16, 2023
Parrots
Fritz, Sun conure
Amigo, GCC
Sundown, Cockatiel
Oyster, Cockatiel
Thunder, Cockatiel
Hmm sounds like your new GCC may be jealous.
Perhaps, while heā€™s still ā€˜newā€™ maybe donā€™t let both birds out at the same time?
My GCC was very nippy when I first adopted him, as of almost 2 years since I brought him home, bites are very rare.
Avoid trying to pet him when heā€™s heightened, Iā€™ve established a question/answer system with my GCC and my Quaker.
As them if you can pet them, I offer my hand a few inches away, if Tom (GCC) wants a pet he comes over to my hand and cuddles, if not he ignores me.
With my Quaker, I ask to pet, if yes he fluffs up his head and neck if no he ignores my hand.
Same principal to stepping up too.
Hope this helps! šŸ˜Š
Thanks for the suggestions! I agree, I probably shouldnā€™t of had them both there at the same time, I just didnā€™t know he would be so nippy compared to my first gcc! Lol.

Most Reactions