No enough space for birdies

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia šŸ¤
Hi everyone

Weā€™re moving temporarily from our house to a small apartment (for 10 months) as we have house renovation work. There will be an empty room for my parrots, but itā€™s way smaller than the one theyā€™re in now (itā€™s only 2*2m) and thereā€™s no window. I spend 8hours daily outside home for work and this is worrying me. Theyā€™re used to fly in a large space (4*4m) in which there is a window for indirect sunlight. Birdies arenā€™t used to spend time inside the cage. The moment I lock its door, they get completely nervous. I really wish they donā€™t fear the harness so that I can take them out since the weather is being nice now!

I really need any tips that will make these 10 months easy and smooth and fun for me and my birdies and family.

Note: some of my family members fear birds .. so this is a big problem to me! If anyone can help me, I will really be glad

Thank you in advance

Sky_Hawk

Jul 13, 2022
Parrots
Hello! I have three birds, 2 budgies, and one baby-2-month-old dominant silver cockatiel. My cockatiel's name is Jasmine. The name of my budgies are Sky and Hawk.
Well, you could bird-proof your home and allow them to stay outside all day and allow them to fly in your whole house, and you could put them back in during the night. You could make your birds bond with other family members so that they won't have a problem letting your birds be around them. Another thing I would recommend not doing is making your bird wear harnesses as they can hurt your bird in the following ways:
1. The material of the harness damages your bird's feathers and irritated its skin.
2. They are not protected from other animals like cats and dogs.
3. If they fly too fast and exceed the length of the harness, they might fling back, hit something, and injure themselves badly.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Well, you could bird-proof your home and allow them to stay outside all day and allow them to fly in your whole house, and you could put them back in during the night. You could make your birds bond with other family members so that they won't have a problem letting your birds be around them. Another thing I would recommend not doing is making your bird wear harnesses as they can hurt your bird in the following ways:
1. The material of the harness damages your bird's feathers and irritated its skin.
3. If they fly too fast and exceed the length of the harness, they might fling back, hit something, and injure themselves badly.
I love the idea of giving parrots "full liberty" (whole-house freedom). I do it for my parrots. More accurately, I now live in an aviary. šŸ˜¬ If the OP is temporarily moving to a small apartment, I doubt it would be feasible, or even permissible, to make it bird-proof, as that typically involves some modifications that leases prohibit.

@eman, can you find someplace you can take your parrots for safe, indoor liberty, perhaps weekly? My local rescue has a nice outdoor aviary. My church has a nice big conference room that would be great for some indoor flight! Some pet stores even have space suitable for training animals.

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots

The problem is, lorikeets are very loud and they also mess up anywhere randomly. This is making it harder for some of the family members to allow them to fly around šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø .. I usually let them out to fly around the house when no one is at home, but this is rare šŸ˜¢. You know what? Itā€™s sad that my birdies arenā€™t loved by some family members šŸ’”..

When it comes to the harness, I didnā€™t thought about the fact that they may fly so fast and exceed the length ā€œthis might be really dangerousā€ especially for lorikeets as sometimes they become very hyper and go crazy

OP
eman

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
I
I love the idea of giving parrots "full liberty" (whole-house freedom). I do it for my parrots. More accurately, I now live in an aviary. šŸ˜¬ If the OP is temporarily moving to a small apartment, I doubt it would be feasible, or even permissible, to make it bird-proof, as that typically involves some modifications that leases prohibit.

@eman, can you find someplace you can take your parrots for safe, indoor liberty, perhaps weekly? My local rescue has a nice outdoor aviary. My church has a nice big conference room that would be great for some indoor flight! Some pet stores even have space suitable for training animals.
I would love to do this, and allow them to freely fly around the house. I pray that no one at home fear birdies or become annoyed from the their loud sounds ..

No, in Kuwait, I never heard about such places unfortunately ..

Even worse now, the new room has no windows šŸ˜¢ ..

So I need something alternative to sunlight. I rarely open the artificial lights in the current birdies room. I prefer to completely depend on the natural light so they wakeup with sunrise and sleep with sunset. Even when not at home during their bedtime, I never worry as the go inside their cage by themselves when its getting a bit darker..

Most Reactions

Latest posts