No Steps Backwards: Williams Story

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
William is my pineapple GCC who is about 7 years old.

I've had him since 11/18/19, but he came from a "family friend" who I had trusted him with while I dealt with my mental health where I couldn't have pets. I didn't think he would be treated so poorly in the time he was there, and when I visited they seemed to shape up.

It wasn't until I came back to bring him into my life again that I realized they hadn't been people I could trust with him.

Trigger warning for the next part in italics.

I found him in his cage in an unfinished room by a door. Away from everyone. His cage was empty minus the stands I had in there from when I gave him to them. No toys, or food. There was a water bowl, empty. Some millet and that was it.

His cage was disgusting. I had to take it to a car wash to pressure wash it clean, and it still didn't get everything off. I learned that he never liked them, never let them put food in his cage or touch them. They wore gloves when they would do anything because he would bite so hard they would shake him off.

He's always been my special boy... and at one point they had told me they were thinking of keeping him. We drifted apart. Until I got a message to "Come take this crazy bird"

I've never been one to think birds can be "crazy."

That's beside the point, I want this to be a place where I could document my story with William, who has clicked back into my life so well you'd think he'd never left.

There are some roadblocks, and we've both changed (Me for the better :) )

The next post will be about his improvements coming home.

OP
squirrlsong

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
Today we started clicker training.

"Touch" wait for him to grab the treat, and a click with my tongue.

He's done so well with it. Working for snow peas, apple, and other treats.

He enjoys: the praise, the treats, the work, being out of his cage.

He struggles with: getting out of his cage.

William has also come back into his colors. He was so dull when I got him, and he's starting to brighten up! He preens himself, and even bathed today!

He's such a curious boy, despite being afraid of some things he's willing to learn, and is learning about his own safety.

He loves my mom and sister, and me too.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How aweful! People you trusted!!!!
Sorry very glad he is back with you! Oh please never met him go again!!!
William I hope you learn the joy of life again, and continue to bloom

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Sounds like he is right back where he belongs - looking forward to hearing his story!

Most Reactions

Latest posts