Noise level of Cockatiels

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Sadly I had to rehome my sun conure due to noise complaints living in an apartment.
I am wondering the noise level of Cockatiels in relation to Conures. As in do they have a very loud flock call as Conures do.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cockatiels in general are much less loud than sun conures. I have two male cockatiels, and the noise level varies enormously even between them - Fang has always been relatively quiet whereas Jem can actually get quite loud when he wants to be, but nowhere near the level of a sun. Male cockatiels can get VERY repetitive though, Jem in particular will make the same call at top note over and over and over and over ā€¦ you get the picture. Female cockatiels are a measure quieter in comparison to males. Iā€™ve had two who were both very affectionate, pretty sassy and capable of a loud squawk when sufficiently motivated but certainly not what Iā€™d call noisy, but then again Iā€™ve never been in a situation where Iā€™ve had to deal with complaints from the neighbours.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I have only had a male tiel, but Iā€™ve been told the females are less loud. May just be hearsay though! Based only on pet store experience and not ownership experience cockatiels are nowhere near as loud as a sun conure on full blast. They do whistle a lot and can be repetitive; I was able to hear Cricket from upstairs when he and Kirby got into a ā€œconversationā€. This was mostly limited to evenings and first thing in the morning though.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have a Jenday as you know. I had a cockatiel as a kid. Cockatiels are no where near as loud as the suns/jendays. They also donā€™t flock call, or scream for fun.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Pipp makes very little noise. Her flock calls can be a bit loud, but I think it's because our house is big, which is good for keeping us cool in summer, but not good for noise. That's why Pedro our eclectus got rehomed, because the noise was too much and since I was 10 at the time, I'd much rather play video games then interact with the bird(I regret it...), and neither did anyone else give much attention, so now he lives with a friend.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say pipp is a 3. Bit loud, but not enough that someone will file a noise complaint. Unless they want zero noise. In which that case they probably shouldn't be living in an apartment.

Pippen's little "Wee-wee" cannot possibly bother someone. She sometimes goes "WEEEE" when she really wants me, but it's not that loud, and it happens occasionally, not constantly.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Quaker parrots from when I volunteered at a shelter were much less vocal then a conure, and when they do squawk itā€™s not as loud. I will also mention that I did get a male sun conure. He is considerably more vocal then my female Jenday. They are equally loud in decibels, but my male conure just likes to be heard a lot more often. So it could depend on the parrot itself as well.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Let's face it - parrots can be loud at times. Some all the time. And its not necessarily the size of the parrot. Cockies are not that loud, but man if they like to say something or whistle something, you are gonna hear it a hundred times a day. Neighbors with overly sensitive ears are gonna complain about almost any noise a parrot makes. I was in an apt. a long time ago and the downstairs neighbor was like that. Any sound, music, chairs scraping on the floor, parrot noise, TV, and yes even sounds from love-making always elicited a complaint to the landlord.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I had a downstairs neighbor in an inner city apartment who complained so much the management moved them, because she insisted we were running in our apartment at night (it was a 415 sqft studio and we somehow managed to live there with a 3yr old who went to bed at 8!!). People are nuts.

Your best bet may be to talk to your neighbor. A sun IS a louder bird than a tiel, but a tiel will still make noise. Perhaps you can reach a compromise.

Budgies are also quiet and charming little birds!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Been investigating Quaker parrots as of late. How load are they in relation to Conures?
I have a quaker and wow! When he wants to, he can scream and scream and scream!! I have never owned a sun conure but have had the chance to hear their calls.
I think a cockatiel would be a better choice than a quaker, my female cockatiel is so very quiet, hardly ever makes a peep. Out of my two males, the younger male Ryuk is quite loud but not to a suns level.
Agree with @ravvlet Budgies are very quiet in comparison to cockatiels, they warble pretty much constantly, but even the loudest budgie is still quiet.
Hope this helps, was a bit late šŸ˜…

Most Reactions