Non Zinc Bird Perches

Jeynonymous

May 3, 2022
Parrots
Two conures named Nibbler and Spike
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion of some bird perches that don't have any hazardous materials like zinc hardware? I made the mistake of getting some perches from etsy where it seems no one will tell you upfront on their page. You have to specifically ask and, well, I personally find the whole thing sketchy if they won't put it on the listing including the risks. I don't want to take risks with their health like that. I just want to keep my buddies safe.
I also only recently found out how dangerous rope perches can be if they are chewed on. And well, guess what my little guys do to everything.
Sorry for the long post, I'm still upset about the whole thing. Please help if you can, I'm a little desperate for suggestions. I'd especially love to know if anyone knows where to buy a good stainless steel perch.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Stainless Steel fittings are your safe route around the problem. Commonly, it is the pricing that is an indicator. Why they will not list the material as part of their ad defines the kind of individual they are and what is important in their mind, The Money!

The Buyer is left to the very old position of: Buyer Beware!!

DYI perches is the best direction, especially with active crewers.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
100%, Don’t apologize for your anger! So much of the stuff out there is a death waiting to happen!
Just look at the industry for children‘s toys! As obvious as it is to us, WHAT? Your crayons contain lead?!?
So if you are talking, "just birds", well you get the idea!

OP
J

Jeynonymous

May 3, 2022
Parrots
Stainless Steel fittings are your safe route around the problem. Commonly, it is the pricing that is an indicator. Why they will not list the material as part of their ad defines the kind of individual they are and what is important in their mind, The Money!

The Buyer is left to the very old position of: Buyer Beware!!

DYI perches is the best direction, especially with active crewers.
Couldn't agree more. This is why finding stuff is such a nightmare. I still remember back when I found out they put petroleum in food as flavor additives. *Sigh*, at least I'm used to going over everything with a microscope because of my own health issues.
Is there any place you could recommend to buy materials for DYI?

OP
J

Jeynonymous

May 3, 2022
Parrots
100%, Don’t apologize for your anger! So much of the stuff out there is a death waiting to happen!
Just look at the industry for children‘s toys! As obvious as it is to us, WHAT? Your crayons contain lead?!?
So if you are talking, "just birds", well you get the idea
It's more that I tend to get nervous posting online and am a 'spontaneous apologizer' when I'm nervous, but thank you for your kindness. I am honestly constantly driven nuts by the insane safety standards of nearly everything. From researching safe food due to my own health problems to the horrific standards of things for animals as they are 'property'. It makes my blood boil and I figure if people don't get upset nothing ever changes. Just...yeah, get nervous and the 'sorry' comes out. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Couldn't agree more. This is why finding stuff is such a nightmare. I still remember back when I found out they put petroleum in food as flavor additives. *Sigh*, at least I'm used to going over everything with a microscope because of my own health issues.
Is there any place you could recommend to buy materials for DYI?
The best place to find Stainless Steel hardware is a Marine Store. They are also expensive. Most Big Box and near all small hardware stores will have a Stainless Steel section.
Ask for help!

OP
J

Jeynonymous

May 3, 2022
Parrots
The best place to find Stainless Steel hardware is a Marine Store. They are also expensive. Most Big Box and near all small hardware stores will have a Stainless Steel section.
Ask for help!
Thanks so much. Is there anywhere with safe quality wood to use that you would recommend?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You do not provide a general location in this huge World and that makes answering your question a bit difficult. Most hardwood trees provide excellent branches. Clearing is not that difficult as IMHO, one should remove the bark and then was the bare branch with hot clean water with Dawn original than rise with clean water and allow to dry in bright sun light. I avoid dead, dry wood as can be buggy.

You will be amazed what is in the short-cut barrel at your local Big Box or Lumber yard. Clearly you want to avoid the treated lumber!!

OP
J

Jeynonymous

May 3, 2022
Parrots
You do not provide a general location in this huge World and that makes answering your question a bit difficult. Most hardwood trees provide excellent branches. Clearing is not that difficult as IMHO, one should remove the bark and then was the bare branch with hot clean water with Dawn original than rise with clean water and allow to dry in bright sun light. I avoid dead, dry wood as can be buggy.

You will be amazed what is in the short-cut barrel at your local Big Box or Lumber yard. Clearly you want to avoid the treated lumber!!
Thanks for the reply and the info. I figured I could just order any type of wood I might need online so I didn’t think a location was necessary.

Most Reactions

Latest posts