Not a beginner bird!

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel :)
I got a cockatiel while under the impression they're a good bird for first time bird owners. My friend who had only ever owned macaws made this recommendation since I initially wanted a CAG. So, I adopted an adult female cockatiel who was being rehomed by her previous owner as she didn't have time for her.

Now... if a cockatiel is an "easy" bird, I have no idea what mad world the owners of "expert" birds live in! My cockatiel came to me in a tiny cage, unable to play with toys or fly, on an all seed diet. Since then I have worked with her for hours daily to teach her how to forage for her food, fly, step up and target. She went from being terrified of hands to loving scritches and chilling on my fingers. And this all took SO much time and patience... simply sitting by her cage and reading to her, respecting her and going at HER pace, not mine.

It is daily effort to manage hormones, make sure she has enough enrichment and that I'm positively enforcing good behaviours and not accidentally teaching bad ones. She is so worth it but it is by no means easy, it's like having a small child and she is "just" a cockatiel. She requires tonnes of attention and one on one time, I have to clean up after her constantly, and she must be supervised when she's out of her cage at all times or she gets in all sorts of trouble somehow. Because she was never allowed to fly in her previous home, she is still crashing into everything when she tries, but I wouldn't dare clip her wings again just because having to supervise her is inconvenient to ME.

Basically just a massive rant. Any bird is a tonne of work if you're actually providing them a good quality of life.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I canā€™t disagree with anything in your post.
thatā€™s why ā€œbeginner birdā€ is misleading to say the least.
But.
you donā€™t have a bird that can send you to the emergency room for stitches.
If you miss read the body language of a macaw, Amazon, or African Grey you can be in for a world of hurt.
My Tiels can draw blood , even enough for a band Aid but stitches , no.

It sounds like you are doing everything right and giving your little friend a great life.

My CAG likes to spend time in the area where my Cockatiels are and while there is no direct contact they seem to get along as well as birds of different size can.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Amen to this! Any parrot, from budgies to macaws, is a handful to take good care of. The difference - the bigger parrots bite harder, eat and poop more, destroy toys faster, require bigger more expensive cages and maybe vet bills are higher. THey all require good diet, lots of toys, enrichment opportunities and time with their person and flock.

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
I canā€™t disagree with anything in your post.
thatā€™s why ā€œbeginner birdā€ is misleading to say the least.
But.
you donā€™t have a bird that can send you to the emergency room for stitches.
If you miss read the body language of a macaw, Amazon, or African Grey you can be in for a world of hurt.
My Tiels can draw blood , even enough for a band Aid but stitches , no.

It sounds like you are doing everything right and giving your little friend a great life.

My CAG likes to spend time in the area where my Cockatiels are and while there is no direct contact they seem to get along as well as birds of different size can.
Oh yeah, risk of injury is definitely a big one here. Also general space and size issues - bigger enclosures, more food, bigger toys which they go through faster. However I feel like these are just extra levels of difficulty on top of what the main issue with parrots is for non bird people which is related to having a "way" with birds. If you're a patient, caring and sensitive bird owner you're going to be limited by space and money and other people's noise tolerance in which species you can keep, I feel... but if you don't have the right mentality even the "easiest" bird will be miserable with you.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Now... if a cockatiel is an "easy" bird, I have no idea what mad world the owners of "expert" birds live in!
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ coming from a macaw owner, you have no idea just how mad of a world it can be!!! My friend that comes over refers to Pancho as "the rainbow terrorist". And he ain't even being bad, he's just being a bird! šŸ¤£

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
So donā€™t give up on your dream bird
I've realised since then I'm not in a financial position for 2 birds- my main concern is if both birds got sick at the same time. I have enough money for vet bills for one sick bird but not for 2... and I couldn't live with myself if I had to choose between them. Someday though for sure

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ coming from a macaw owner, you have no idea just how mad of a world it can be!!! My friend that comes over refers to Pancho as "the rainbow terrorist". And he ain't even being bad, he's just being a bird! šŸ¤£
Macaws honestly scare me a little! My friend has eight. She keeps them in 2 separate massive outdoor aviaries. One of them sent her to the hospital for stitches as he attacked her lip in the middle of a completely fun and good natured game of kisses which they'd always done. He didn't mean to actually hurt her but all it took was one over excited nip. Unfortunately she sort of looks down on smaller birds like cockatiels budgies lovebirds parakeets etc and sees them as unintelligent and a bit annoying.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Macaws honestly scare me a little! My friend has eight. She keeps them in 2 separate massive outdoor aviaries. One of them sent her to the hospital for stitches as he attacked her lip in the middle of a completely fun and good natured game of kisses which they'd always done. He didn't mean to actually hurt her but all it took was one over excited nip. Unfortunately she sort of looks down on smaller birds like cockatiels budgies lovebirds parakeets etc and sees them as unintelligent and a bit annoying.
First, welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined us:)

Ugh, I can't stand that mentality. I would hazard a guess that Disco the Budgie had a larger vocabulary than her macaws, I know he had a larger one than most of my birds.

I'm not sure why people think that way, it just doesn't make sense to me. I enjoy my finches as much as I enjoy my parrots, because I think they are amazing in their own way.

Cockatiels are great birds, and I'm so happy you brought this girl into your life. You changed her life in so many ways for the better, and when the time comes you are also going to be a wonderful with a grey.

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
First, welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined us:)

Ugh, I can't stand that mentality. I would hazard a guess that Disco the Budgie had a larger vocabulary than her macaws, I know he had a larger one than most of my birds.

I'm not sure why people think that way, it just doesn't make sense to me. I enjoy my finches as much as I enjoy my parrots, because I think they are amazing in their own way.

Cockatiels are great birds, and I'm so happy you brought this girl into your life. You changed her life in so many ways for the better, and when the time comes you are also going to be a wonderful with a grey.
Thank you :)

Since getting my girl (I've named her Odette), I've fallen in love with smaller birds. They have a tonne of personality in those little bodies. Odette is the sweetest thing who can be derpy and playful, curious and clever, as well as melt my heart with her sweet soft Chirps when she gets scritches or falls asleep on my shoulder.

She can be a handful but I wouldn't change a thing about her and every day she's with me more of her personality shines through. Her previous owner told me she never did anything and just sat on a perch all day, which was true for about a month when she first came her... she would hiss and even try and bite me when I changed her food/water bowl. This was FEAR, not her being a "bad" or aggressive bird, and certainly not because she is stupid. Given space and time and consistent attention, she spends all her waking hours being a busy bird!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you :)

Since getting my girl (I've named her Odette), I've fallen in love with smaller birds. They have a tonne of personality in those little bodies. Odette is the sweetest thing who can be derpy and playful, curious and clever, as well as melt my heart with her sweet soft Chirps when she gets scritches or falls asleep on my shoulder.

She can be a handful but I wouldn't change a thing about her and every day she's with me more of her personality shines through. Her previous owner told me she never did anything and just sat on a perch all day, which was true for about a month when she first came her... she would hiss and even try and bite me when I changed her food/water bowl. This was FEAR, not her being a "bad" or aggressive bird, and certainly not because she is stupid. Given space and time and consistent attention, she spends all her waking hours being a busy bird!

Smaller birds are full of personality! One of my favourite birds I've had was an older tiel named Spike. He would sit with me every evening for hours, I was lucky that he chose me as his person. He could whistle out of key and it was so precious! He died in his early thirties and I still hear that sweet offkey singing when I go into the little bird room.

By your kindness, patience and caring you are changing Odette's life day by day, and letting her be herself while doing so. I'm looking forward to reading more of your journey together!

Do you have any pictures of her? We love pictures around here:)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I've realised since then I'm not in a financial position for 2 birds- my main concern is if both birds got sick at the same time. I have enough money for vet bills for one sick bird but not for 2... and I couldn't live with myself if I had to choose between them. Someday though for sure
Yes illness is a huge cost.
all 3 of my amazons are sick and hopefully on the road to recovery.
last year had to have one of my Cockatiels wings amputated.

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
Smaller birds are full of personality! One of my favourite birds I've had was an older tiel named Spike. He would sit with me every evening for hours, I was lucky that he chose me as his person. He could whistle out of key and it was so precious! He died in his early thirties and I still hear that sweet offkey singing when I go into the little bird room.

By your kindness, patience and caring you are changing Odette's life day by day, and letting her be herself while doing so. I'm looking forward to reading more of your journey together!

Do you have any pictures of her? We love pictures around here:)

Attachments

• 20230126_085455.jpg
    20230126_085455.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230126_085451.jpg
    20230126_085451.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230123_105023.jpg
    20230123_105023.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
Yes illness is a huge cost.
all 3 of my amazons are sick and hopefully on the road to recovery.
last year had to have one of my Cockatiels wings amputated.
OMG. I cannot imagine. How is she without her wing? Best of luck for your poor amazons.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
About macaws: my sister bought a macaw years ago. Wanting to talk with the former owner about behavior problems, she found that they had CHANGED THEIR PHONE NUMBER and she could not reach them.

Her macaw was a tyrant and the moodiest big bird Iā€™ve met. It was a lot like having another human being jealous of me and very angry that I was visiting my sister. And I really tried to butter up this bird!

I am glad I like Quakers so much and feel they are so unique and special. Quakers are much more containable than a three foot long dinosaur with an enormous black tearing beak.

OP
I

ILoveTiels

Jan 26, 2023
Parrots
About macaws: my sister bought a macaw years ago. Wanting to talk with the former owner about behavior problems, she found that they had changed their number and she could not reach them.

Her macaw was a tyrant and the moodiest big bird Iā€™ve met. It was a lot like having another human being jealous of me and very angry that I was visiting my sister. And I really tried to butter up this bird!

I am glad I like Quakers so much and feel they are so unique and special. Quakers are much more containable than a three foot long dinosaur with an enormous black tearing beak.
My experience with my bird has made me think long and hard about adding more birds to my life... they are not a commitment to make lightly and I truly think of it like having a human child. That is if you actually care about ensuring your parrot is truly happy and healthy and not just existing. Parrots are fragile in many ways but also surprisingly resilient in situations of neglect.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
OMG. I cannot imagine. How is she without her wing? Best of luck for your poor amazons.
My Tiel Angel had 2/3 of her wing amputated due to a mass growing on it. It doesnā€™t look to bad except when she stretches but she is doing well.
the recovery was the worst part.
wearing the ā€œcone of shame ā€œ is extremely difficult for a bird because they need to use there beak for climbing.
She managed to get around the first cone and had to go back to the vets for a bigger one..
A15E9251-04B1-43D6-B264-CE51BA390D3B.jpeg

Last edited:

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
About macaws: my sister bought a macaw years ago. Wanting to talk with the former owner about behavior problems, she found that they had CHANGED THEIR PHONE NUMBER and she could not reach them.

I find that my macaw is kinda like a cranky old man. He's an a$$hole. He likes to give you a little crap. If you take it in good humor, and give him a hard time back, you'll get along great. But if he thinks he's got his bluff in, he will terrorize you relentlessly...all to satisfy his own sick sense of humor.
He really seems to appreciate someone who is willing to go toe to toe with him. Buttering up, Pancho sees right through that. He likes a little backbone, a little a$$hole behavior given right back to him. He really is a sarcastic, cranky old man šŸ¤£

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I find that my macaw is kinda like a cranky old man. He's an a$$hole. He likes to give you a little crap. If you take it in good humor, and give him a hard time back, you'll get along great. But if he thinks he's got his bluff in, he will terrorize you relentlessly...all to satisfy his own sick sense of humor.
He really seems to appreciate someone who is willing to go toe to toe with him. Buttering up, Pancho sees right through that. He likes a little backbone, a little a$$hole behavior given right back to him. He really is a sarcastic, cranky old man šŸ¤£
Sounds like someone I knew at work long time ago.
He ended up shot and killed by a worker on his ranch.
It pays to be polite.

Most Reactions

Latest posts