Not a pet - breeding purposes only

Truepacifist

Jan 28, 2023
Parrots
I don't have a parrot yet but I want to get one and learn about them first
An online friend of mine sent me this ad of an African grey she's considering buying in her country. The reasoning is the wording of the ad... I don't know much about parrots, but it feels really dehumanising to say a parrot is not a pet and for breeding purposes only. Says who?? Surely if she buys the parrot, it is then up to her whether she treats him as an individual who deserves respect or not... it just seems wrong with an animal who has the intelligence of a 5yo human.

Please tell me your thoughts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-213636_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230202-213636_Chrome.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20230202-213617_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230202-213617_Chrome.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 38

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
my assumption is that they worded it poorly or english isnt their first language. I think their objective is more to warn people that the bird isnt "pet material" aka is probably aggressive and not handle able without lots of training....

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They don't seem to be well informed, perhaps they think that once a breeder, always a breeder.
At least whoever brings him home will know that he isn't tame and that he will require more work.
Breeders can be tamed, my Justice (also a CAG) is tame now. It just took patience and time.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Not a pet! I've heard so many stories of people adopting 'breeder only' birds and then turned them into wonderful companions!
When I adopted Romeo, a 13 y/o cockatiel, the owner told me "He's a vampire bird, loves the taste of blood!' I've never been bitten by him in the 2 years I've owned him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts