Not Another POOP Question

VolcanoBakemeat

Jan 30, 2016
with my bird
Parrots
BIG MIKE! He's a 10 year old green cheeked conure. Loves chewing shoelaces, stealing, long walks on the beach
Hi all, this is my first time posting to this forum, but I'm glad to have made myself a member! So here's what's happening...

I have a green cheeked conure who always has green poops. A few days ago, I was admitted to the hospital, just a quick thing and I got back home the next day. When I took my bird out to let him exercise, he pooped first and I noticed it was brown. Not an alarming color for a bird's poop to be, I know which colors to look out for, and his poops HAVE gone back to normal. This is where I would close the book on this case, but with the stress and meds from my hospital stay, I want to ask for a second opinion.

My bird was looked after by my roommates for the day, his diet did not change, he couldn't have ingested something outside of his cage since my roommates are terrified of him chasing them (yeah he does that, maybe if they didn't yell and look so goofy he wouldn't wanna do that but cest la vie.) And there's nothing totally new in his room, either. So I'm wondering if there's a reason for the change in color? It was only about a day of brown poop and it went back to normal. I'm not worried, he seems totally comfortable, but I wanna rule anything out before I just forget about it.

Thanks, guys

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
What is his normal diet? Everything else in the poop look normal?

Probably nothing to worry about, especially if he's eating a variety of things that he can pick out that might affect the color. Very dark poops can be indicative of heavy metal poisoning and bloody stools indicative of liver troubles, but you would probably be seeing these symptoms for a bit longer than a day, and seeing other things too.

Big Mike - what a cute name :) very conure appropriate! Haha. The big boss here at my house is also fond of stealing. Anyway, welcome to you and Big Mike, and hope you are healing well yourself.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
A one or even a two off different poop is not normally something to worry about if that helps.is he behaving any differently? Inactive, not eating, overly reclusive and sleepy? If not then he's probably fine.

I would guess you feed your bird a mostly fresh diet with pellets on the side? Am I right or wrong?
Typically:
Green poop solids means the bird is eating mostly real food with greens in it;
Brown poop solids means they've eating a bunch of pellets.

These are both normal shades of poop solid.

OP
VolcanoBakemeat

VolcanoBakemeat

Jan 30, 2016
with my bird
Parrots
BIG MIKE! He's a 10 year old green cheeked conure. Loves chewing shoelaces, stealing, long walks on the beach
Phew, thanks for some relief guys!
I switch up his food because he gets bored of the same mix after a while, but honestly there's never too big of a change, and I haven't even switched it out yet!
He's chatty, perky, and just as big of a trouble maker as usual. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eye on all his poops, it's not suspicious but I'm just trying to figure out what changed! He's picky, maybe he just realized he likes something in the mix after all this time?
Called an avian vet in town and I'm setting up a little checkup to be safe. Thanks guys!

OP
VolcanoBakemeat

VolcanoBakemeat

Jan 30, 2016
with my bird
Parrots
What is his normal diet? Everything else in the poop look normal?

Big Mike - what a cute name :) very conure appropriate! Haha. The big boss here at my house is also fond of stealing. Anyway, welcome to you and Big Mike, and hope you are healing well yourself.

Poop texture is normal, no air bubbles, it's not dark, his urine is normal, I just hope he DID eat something that changed it, and this is not a sign he's getting sick. He's been eating this particular seed mix for almost a month, and I like to get different kinds to keep him interested. But this one has sunflower, safflower, those... little black triangular ones that you step on in the middle of the night and scream, wheat, dried bananas/carrots/chili peppers, pressed corn, oats and peanuts. He won't eat pellets, he uses them to scratch his scalp, it's absolutely hilarious to watch. But! I try to make up for that with vitamins and other types of grains. I hand feed him greens and fruit juice on the side, his favorite part of the day, and I add vitamin drops to his water when he's feeling picky. He does like to eat whatever I'm eating! I got him to try some mashed warm yam, but he didn't want any, but ugh that would be a good reason for his poop color change. I wanted to list everything in case I'm missing something he should have or if I need to subtract, so sorry about the long reply!

My uncle who is ALSO called Mike suggested we call the bird Little Mike and my uncle Big Mike. Of course, my little green friend wouldn't have that and started yelling "I'M Big Mike!!" Now he screams that all day every day!

Most Reactions