Not sure who needs the luck more....

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Hubby and I, Albie or my mother In law. We've set a date thatt she's going to stay in 2 weeks time and she's gonna stay every 2 weeks to help with Albie before we go to Scotland.

Our reasoning is so that albie is familiar with my mother in law and gets comfortable with her moving his food and water bowls, doing target training with him so she can let him out and get him back in his house with out being bitten (he can be a stubborn mite if he doesn't want to go to bed. And will bite me, albeit half heartedly, if he deems its not his bed time yet will settle immediately onto his sleep perch and yell if the light isn't off in a timely manner) and. Also gets used to him flying about and just wanting to chill and play with us in general.

She gets very freaked out when he flies at her (part of which I think he does for that exact reaction) and the only way we can get that to stop is for her to be around albie more.

I love her to bits, I really do, and I'm so so greatful that she sees albie as her feathered grand birb and is willing to do this for him. I don't know of many people who would do this.

It's going to be Interestimg to see how she deals with him during meal times, as I make bird safe food so albie can share with us, but it's not good enough on his plate, he has to take it off mine.

I forsee some very nasty bites and the cold wing when I get home though.... Any tips on winning back his lordships favor?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! I disagree with your approach! It may work out quite well, but it is putting a lot of pressure, and demands on your mom-in-law! Consider her as a caregiver roll!
My example: my wife, her house, her Bongo the Barbarian, a GCC! Bongo is extremely bonded to wifey and EVERYTHING in the house is his personal property. To be guarded!
I house sit him a lot and I have found there is much less stress if I totally avoid his normal routines! I used to struggle, and bleed, to get him into his sleep cage! Mornings were worse!
Now? I let him sleep in his day cage, and he’s quite good with that! I’m there alone, so lights out isn’t a problem! Especially with a parrot, working through a situation isn’t always the best approach! Avoid the situation, if possible!
He actually let me give him a beak rub this week! That’s after 12 years! Some things take time!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
When I have to go away for a number of days, I always tell Salty about it a few days before I go, and tell him how many days I will be gone. Used to go to China for 2 weeks at a time, and if I didn't do this, he would be very pissy about it when I got back. Use fingers to show how long you'll be gone.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I wouldn't expect your MIL to follow your routines. The expectation would be too high on both of them. She should be comfortable of course but my feeling is that she be confident enough to establish her own regimes. Albie will have more respect. It's really important that both of them be safe so I would concentrate on the don'ts as much as anything. As to his response on your return - well you might find that MIL is the new favourite! :)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I wouldn't expect your MIL to follow your routines. The expectation would be too high on both of them. She should be comfortable of course but my feeling is that she be confident enough to establish her own regimes. Albie will have more respect. It's really important that both of them be safe so I would concentrate on the don'ts as much as anything. As to his response on your return - well you might find that MIL is the new favourite! :)

I don't expect her to follow our routine for him, I just need her comfortable with him. He doesn't even have a firm bed time only that it's between 7 and 9 depening on how late I am from work.

I also need albie comfortable with some one other than hubby and I messing with his bowls as he does get pissy if some one else does it.

I will be focusing on his saftey A lot. She has a thing for areosole body sprays and deodorant, they are banned in my home. I ve no dangerous cook ware so it'll be more be mindful of him when he out, no windows or doors open while he's out that kinda thing. I just really hope that he doesn't rule the roost and she has issues trying to put him back away if she gets him out.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
I would let her make more use of S flower seeds to get him back in,or if hes anything like Connie use them for bribery,Im sure it wont do any harm occassionally. Rather have interest in SFHs than risk him biting her hard.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good thoughts above!
I applaud you for all the advance planning... very impressive. Sounds like you're trouble-shooting wisely and creatively. But of course, there's that psittacine sensitivity and snarkiness that always seems ready to throw a curve...
Keep doin' what you're doin', and just be prepared for a bit of payback upon return, and THEN be prepared to forgive your little darling, which I predict might take all of one nanosecond! You'll be so glad to see him...!!!
Good luck!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Well, albie has a new favorite seed.... Saff flower. So they will now be relagated for mil use only.

I just need it to go as smoothly as possible for every one, and I know full well he's going to "punish" me when i get back hahahahah

Albie is very sensitive to everything and he's so smart too, I know he's gonna run rings and manipulate my mil, which I really wish I could watch hahaha

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My birds always picked out safflower when given seed mix. They are small and ideal for portion-control treats!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Well, albie has a new favorite seed.... Saff flower. So they will now be relagated for mil use only.

I just need it to go as smoothly as possible for every one, and I know full well he's going to "punish" me when i get back hahahahah

Albie is very sensitive to everything and he's so smart too, I know he's gonna run rings and manipulate my mil, which I really wish I could watch hahaha

This made me smile. Your Mother in law will be well armed. Remind her that it will be like living with a 2 yr old toddler and she will be fine.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Eurgh.... This is going to be hard trying to educate her 🙄

I've received 3 nasty bites from albie due to being waaaay over stimulated. She won't stop baby talking to him in a super high pitched voice it getting on my nerves too! I've told her to stop and to leave him be and just let him do his thing. Repeatedly.

I'm worried it's not gonna work out.

I certainly expect blood to be drawn when I return home

Most Reactions