Not the favored one...

foxmacaw

May 6, 2022
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold baby macaw
Our baby macaw is 6 months old, we've had it for about a week now. Waiting on gender DNA test for a name.

My husband is the primary fid parent. I have less time to work with the bird, so he's been feeding and working with baby bird. In the first few days baby bird would let me hold and pet the back of its head.

In the last 3-4 days it's grown progressively less inclined towards me. If I try to pet the back of its head, it squawks and lunges at my fingers. I've only had one or two painful bites. I've made a strong effort not to jerk away and just let it mouth my fingers. I feed it favored treats like mandarin slices and papaya. I make a point to talk to it multiple times a day and sing or whistle nearby.

Today I got it to step up on my arm and I pet the back of its head, but after a few moments it got quite testy and started thrashing around. I waited until it calmed down first and then placed it on the perch. My husband can walk it all around the house and cuddle with it.

I've tried to present an air of confidence, but to be honest, I'm not. :p I've never been around birds before (other than chickens in high school, haha.) I do feel a bit nervous and I'm sure that doesn't help. I'd really like to build trust. Am I rushing it by trying to hold the bird?

Separate question...
I am a piano teacher. People are always staring at my hands, so I like to keep my nails painted and wear several rings. How much does that complicate things? Is there a way to desensitize the bird to the colors?

Attachments

• 280042591_993807074856563_2209839444705483798_n.jpg
    280042591_993807074856563_2209839444705483798_n.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 69

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think that nail polish and rings are tempting for a bird to beak at and grab. I don’t think you can train out of it. I would guess that maybe they’d get used to seeing nail Polish but I think rings would always be interesting. (No, I don’t have any evidence to back that up, just my guess.)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
HI there! I would institute a nightly game of the Parrot version of hot potato. THe parrot is held for a few minutes, given a treat and some loviin' and then passed to other family members for the same. The more people the better. It may not reduce the tendency to have a favorite, but will get the parrot used to being held by other people with out freaking out. Bear in mind tho that the onset and going thru puberty often results in the 'favorite' now being rejected and a new one selected. In babies a favorite may be the substitute for the parent and during puberty, the parrot rejects that close relationship in favor of seeking a mate. The new Fav needs to make sure they are not encouraging any mating behaviors, like touching anywhere besides the head.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Oh the baby macaw is so cute (i don't have any experience with macaws) good luck i hope everything goes well

Most Reactions