Nutrition changes during molting ? Advice please

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
My Ogy,..Rosella, has been quite nervous these 2 months, probably this is one of the first major molts. She is unusually timid and easily upset. Do I need enhanced nutrition during molting, please advice? I give mixed food for Australian birds, apple, orange, pineapple, cucumber, carrots and green things occasionally, and I notice that he also nibbles on the quail bone intensively. Every comment and advice is very welcomed

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'll let others with more experience chime in, but I was advised to give more protein when my ringneck had a hard molt. Sprouted lentils, a little scrambled egg (I did egg maybe once a week).

Reactions: OgY

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'll let others with more experience chime in, but I was advised to give more protein when my ringneck had a hard molt. Sprouted lentils, a little scrambled egg (I did egg maybe onc
I'll let others with more experience chime in, but I was advised to give more protein when my ringneck had a hard molt. Sprouted lentils, a little scrambled egg (I did egg maybe once a week).

It must take quite a bit of dietary protein and other nutrients for a bird to replace it's feathers during a major molt so I would think it prudent to either ensure adequate dietary intake or supplement with a CAV approved product.

Reactions: OgY

Most Reactions

Latest posts