nvm solved

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am not an Ekkie expert by any means, as I am more an Amazon Snob!
Sound more like an effort at driving away something from that general location. More, its mine, get away from it, NOW!
Could be based around the fear of Starvation Behavior!
Why now, haven't a clue, little things can set Parrots off, especially those that had any abuse. Relax your time lines and settle for tiny relationship improvements. As you implied time line is not an issue.

Last edited:
OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
I am not an Ekkie expert by any means, as I am more an Amazon Snob!
Sound more like an effort at driving away something from that general location. More, its mine, get away from it, NOW!
Could be based around the fear of Starvation Behavior!
Why now, haven't a clue, little things can set Parrots off, especially those that had any abuse. Relax your time lines and settle for tiny relationship improvements. As you implied time line is not an issue.
Wait the fear of starvation might be it, since it's usually only when he's really hungry in the morning. OMG.. THANK YOU sm that means that's not really something I should be too worried about (since he won't starve) but sometimes when I wake up late poor baby might've been really hungry... omggg this makes sm sense thank you again.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I had a similar situation with my bird, I got her when she was approximately 14 yrs old and I don't know much about her life before I got her.
She would scream and (for lack of a better description) panic, when I would take her food bowl away. Now almost 1 year later she is doing better but it still stresses her out when the dishes are removed.

What I did was simple I got 2 of the same style dish. I would then feed chop in the morning and pellets in the evening. With the 2 dishes I could switch them out to wash them. So she always had a dish in the same spot..
Now that we have made some progress I feed only as much pellets as she will eat that evening. So she is building a tolerance to the idea of being without food. (Only without food during the night)
Also foraging toys with small bits of millet helped.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you have an Ekkie, feeding pellets by the bowl is not a great idea as that can lead to an overload of minerals and other additives commonly found in pellets, but not in the natural range of Ekkie's. Remember that their natural range is much more barren than were near all other Parrots natural range. An overly rich diet can cause foot stomping /tapping and other medical issues. Work your way thru the Ekkie Forum looking for a recommended Ekkie diet.

Consider a third set of bowls to provide other wet foods thus allowing each group to dry between feedings and changing water. You should notice your Parrot become interested when you change-out bowls

FYI: We have an Amazon specific dry food diet available for our Amazon from early morning to late evening with pellets as only a supplement. Veggies and other wet foods as first morning meal and as part of mid afternoon meal.

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
I had a similar situation with my bird, I got her when she was approximately 14 yrs old and I don't know much about her life before I got her.
She would scream and (for lack of a better description) panic, when I would take her food bowl away. Now almost 1 year later she is doing better but it still stresses her out when the dishes are removed.

What I did was simple I got 2 of the same style dish. I would then feed chop in the morning and pellets in the evening. With the 2 dishes I could switch them out to wash them. So she always had a dish in the same spot..
Now that we have made some progress I feed only as much pellets as she will eat that evening. So she is building a tolerance to the idea of being without food. (Only without food during the night)
Also foraging toys with small bits of millet helped.
Thank you for this explanation. Aw I’m glad your bird is better now though, also the bowl thing is smart, except he ISNT attached to the bowl for some reason? He is just angry if i’m near the food but oddly not the bowl itself.

Thank you for your response :)

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
If you have an Ekkie, feeding pellets by the bowl is not a great idea as that can lead to an overload of minerals and other additives commonly found in pellets, but not in the natural range of Ekkie's. Remember that their natural range is much more barren than were near all other Parrots natural range. An overly rich diet can cause foot stomping /tapping and other medical issues. Work your way thru the Ekkie Forum looking for a recommended Ekkie diet.

Consider a third set of bowls to provide other wet foods thus allowing each group to dry between feedings and changing water. You should notice your Parrot become interested when you change-out bowls

FYI: We have an Amazon specific dry food diet available for our Amazon from early morning to late evening with pellets as only a supplement. Veggies and other wet foods as first morning meal and as part of mid afternoon meal.
Ofc, he is on all chop only diet. No pellets or extra mineral/vitamins whatsoever.

Three bowls? I might just be dumb, but I’m hanging trouble understanding. As in have two bowls containing food in his cage and one water and swap them out while he’s not on the bowl I’m trying to change? This actually might work well. I have six bowls for him in total for food that i swap out everyday (water dish i use same one but clean it every morning).

I will do some research on dry food, it sounds convenient. Haven’t given him any so far other than dried sweet potatoes (which he did not like..)

Thank you for the reply.

Most Reactions

Latest posts