Obsessed with dog

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So lately Apollo has been obsessed with my service dog. She's constantly flying to the floor and going to my dog and thankfully my dog, being a service dog, is trained to not really be reactive. She'll watch Apollo kinda like "mom, the birds on the ground again" but otherwise does nothing. Apollo has become increasingly sneaky now that she has all her flight feathers and can easily hop to the ground and waddle over without my noticing. And then she will just clamber up onto my dog and chill there.

Now, I trust my dog wont do anything but I'm still avidly against dog/bird interactions because there's always a CHANCE something could happen. But I don't know how to fix this. Apollo has become very insistent lately :( Moment I notice she's on the ground I will put her back on her cage/play stand but she just keeps hopping down...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The terrible two's!
I have a tiny flag, it's my you be bad flag. I don't chase or touch them with the Scary Flag. I just pick it up, they know they are going to the cage when they see the flag. I don't know if you could try something like that, a visual signal that says you mad, they bad.....lol looks weird written down but really works for me, I just have to look at the flag now and everyone flys back to their cage...
Hope you find something that works,!!

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
The terrible two's!
I have a tiny flag, it's my you be bad flag. I don't chase or touch them with the Scary Flag. I just pick it up, they know they are going to the cage when they see the flag. I don't know if you could try something like that, a visual signal that says you mad, they bad.....lol looks weird written down but really works for me, I just have to look at the flag now and everyone flys back to their cage...
Hope you find something that works,!!
Omg! I love this! I'm going to have to try this with Bo.

It might work best with Apollo if you could figure out how to use something like this but as an early warning system... like when you notice her wanting to get on the floor. Show her the flag when you see her interest in getting on the floor as a way of saying "I know you want to, but if you do you'll be in trouble."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
You're not alone! Callum's flown down onto the floor to bite my dog, Danny, on the butt. Now, my dog's afraid of his own shadow, so he about peed himself when my bird snuck up and nipped him on the butt. And Callum didn't bite hard. It was more of a curious nibble. No one was hurt.

(I have a corgi, so Danny's butt is pretty close to the ground.)

I have something like the Scary Flag mentioned. Callum's afraid of a spray bottle and if he's sitting somewhere he's not supposed to or waddling over to bug my dog, I just touch the top of the spray bottle and say "Callum, are you supposed to be there?" and Callum will fly back to his cage or stand.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, still struggling with this but you can see she's learning. She flew to the ground just a moment ago and then looked at me like "oh s***" and once I stood up from my chair she just flew back on top of her cage LOL

riswelch

Banned
Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Virginia Ashburn
I would like also very much to have a pet but my parents can't afford it and that's very annoying.
All my friends have dogs or cats or other animals and I don't have that.
Well, at least one of my friends is next door to me and I always go to her and play with her dog. Recently I wanted to make him a present and I bought water additive for dogs teeth because he has some problems with it.
At first, I didn't know what to take but I found one. He's not my pet, but I've become so used to him that I can't imagine my life without him.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would like also very much to have a pet but my parents can't afford it and that's very annoying.
All my friends have dogs or cats or other animals and I don't have that.
Well, at least one of my friends is next door to me and I always go to her and play with her dog. Recently I wanted to make him a present and I bought water additive for dogs teeth because he has some problems with it.
At first, I didn't know what to take but I found one. He's not my pet, but I've become so used to him that I can't imagine my life without him.
That is a great way to get the pleasure of having a pet.

I would love to have a cat but since I have birds that is not an option. But I enjoy petting my neighbors cats and have been “adopted” by a cat who enjoyed extra attention.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As so well stated by the OP, such interaction are aways of concern! Service dogs are amazing and they commonly put-up with amazing stuff without reacting.
Hope that things have continued to work for you and yours!

Most Reactions

Latest posts