Odd coloration?!?!?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi everyone, Charlie my sun conure has some odd coloration. I tried to capture it in photos below. He has white tipped flight feathers? Has anyone came across this? Any concerns?

Also Charlie’s beak to me looks long when comparing him to my Jenday. Which Charlie is a Sun. He isn’t very into toys unless pop cycle sticks are involved. Does it look long to everyone else too? The last time I had it trimmed he didn’t come out of his cage for a week. I was hoping his somewhat chewing behavior would keep his beak growth at bay.
4FF987DD-DD39-408E-BBB7-3154F0500E91.jpeg
F22768EA-AC6B-43B9-855D-866382225D42.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Have Charlie's feathers always been that colour? I'd recommend having him tested just to rule out any illness. The colours are quite striking, I haven't seen anything like that before. He's a gorgeous boy:)

His beak does look a little long, but hopefully he will wear it down himself on the popsicle sticks. The best thing about a bird who likes popsicle sticks is that you can make his toys rather than buy them:)

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Have Charlie's feathers always been that colour? I'd recommend having him tested just to rule out any illness. The colours are quite striking, I haven't seen anything like that before. He's a gorgeous boy:)

His beak does look a little long, but hopefully he will wear it down himself on the popsicle sticks. The best thing about a bird who likes popsicle sticks is that you can make his toys rather than buy them:)
When I got Charlie he was only a 1 1/2 years old. He had the white in his tail (still does) when I first got him. The vet thought it was poop stains. He shedded those feathers & his flight feathers, and now there’s even more white than he had before. He had a bacterial infection that was treated with antibiotics when I first got him but he’s now a healthy boy.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I found this older thread discussing different colours in a Sun's flight feathers. Lots of interesting info here:

White Sun flight feathers

He really does look healthy, and it sounds like it isn't uncommon according to the link. Those feathers are really stunning! I'd be watching him non-stop, waiting for those feathers to moult so I could keep them..lol

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I found this older thread discussing different colours in a Sun's flight feathers. Lots of interesting info here:

White Sun flight feathers

He really does look healthy, and it sounds like it isn't uncommon according to the link. Those feathers are really stunning! I'd be watching him non-stop, waiting for those feathers to moult so I could keep them..lol
It’s not common from what I’ve gathered I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a health related concern. I’d post pictures of the tail but I’d have to lift it up, and it’s almost spring. All 3 of my parrots are… well in a “nesting” mood. I don’t feel like trying to argue with Charlie trying to mate with me if I lift up his tail.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
It’s not common from what I’ve gathered I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a health related concern. I’d post pictures of the tail but I’d have to lift it up, and it’s almost spring. All 3 of my parrots are… well in a “nesting” mood. I don’t feel like trying to argue with Charlie trying to mate with me if I lift up his tail.
LOL, I don't blame you a bit for that!

Most Reactions