Odd quaker molting behavior

GunnyQ

Mar 18, 2019
Media
Hey yall!

I would like some feedback about Gunnys new behavior that recently started... I'd say friday I noticed alot of downd and semi plume on the cage floor, didnt think much of it since they all seem intact and also hes been having alot of quills on his head/neck area so safely assumed hes molting.. well today I was watching Him and he seemed extra agitated with his feathers.. hell attack His wings then youll notice he plucks his downs. Hes got lots of dandruff and hes not plucking where he would normally (had an issue when I first got him and that was primarily chest and neck). Hes also very moody but wants to be loved more than usual... suggestions?

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I know for a fact Quakers get very moody when Moulting
All that you have mentioned has to do with irritation, because of all the pin feathers opening up and the powder that comes from them proves to be very irritating, like us humans with dandruff
Bathe him regularly to help with the irritation
Thanks
Noah Till

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree with Noah. Extra baths help. As does a but more protein like scrambled eggs, a couple of nuts, a bite if boiled chicken..
Mine just molted and you will see down , and they will remove a few old feathers..
If you think it's more include a picture and we see if it looks like feather destruction behavior.

OP
G

GunnyQ

Mar 18, 2019
Media
Thank yall so much for the info! I'm taking him to work with me tomorrow so our avian vet can look at him just to make sure he doesn't need any additional help. I ordered the harrisons high potency food thatll be in tomorrow so thatll help him out. I feel so bad because I'd love to help him preen but hes just too sensitive right now. Hes still full of himself... especially when people come over.. hes a ham. Hopefully hell molt this phase quickly!! Poor baby just wants cuddles and probably to have no feathers.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well I feed mine extra protein this molt, and they did much better. :)
I'd love Quakers if you can't tell by my albums!!
So show off your bird weove to see a picture of him!!

OP
G

GunnyQ

Mar 18, 2019
Media
This is Gunny aka Gunderson. He really appreciates all the love from his avian family!! Quakers are the sweetest!! He is a little over a year old. He loves the camera and being videoed so of course I have more videos than pictures lol!! This when I first got him so hes a little rough on the chest feathers but hes much more handsome now!

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_053959_861.jpg
    IMG_20190513_053959_861.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 69

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He is very handsome! Did you do DNA test to know boy?
My Penny plucks her neck, did so before I got her, sometimes she stops but the least bit of household upset she's back at it

OP
G

GunnyQ

Mar 18, 2019
Media
Well thank you! Hes a mommas boy for sure! When I got him the previous owner had already done that. He loves to quack like a duck... thanks to my husband!

OP
G

GunnyQ

Mar 18, 2019
Media
Here's a more currrent picture of my goofball

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191103-190715_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20191103-190715_Snapchat.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 59
OP
G

GunnyQ

Mar 18, 2019
Media
Thank you thank you!!! Hes definitely come a long way. Oh thank you on the kitchen compliment too. I LOVE my house but the kitchen is my ultimate favorite! Lots of counter space for the birds to run around on!

Most Reactions

Latest posts