Oh crap...

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Morning all from way down in Tasmania. Quick questions for y'all.
1/ Do parrots (IRN) poop less as they get older? I tried to search the web but couldn't find this specific question answered. Missy will be 4 months on Jan 5th and poops like every 14 minutes. I try to catch them all but.... the sneaky little buggers must have legs and run and hide to come out after, I have done what I think is a thorough poop cleanse (and no, not the bird poop mask).
2/ And you may automatically think of the first question when I ask this but I'd just like some of your opinions and experience in this please.... I've been told that if I get two birds, I will not have such a connection with them as I would with one bird, but I can't help but feel somewhat bad that Missy doesn't have a feathered friend to share her life with too. I mean, I got a second dog for my girl Lola for when I am not able to be one on one with them, or I have to go out. Thing is, Lola is a weird dog.... she don't care either way - and that applies to Lola and Missy too. Missy and Pyper seem to be breaking the ice together.... slowly. And no. I don't leave Missy out of her cage if I am not at home.
She is still a baby and still learning along the way and I am too... but I can't help but feel she must feel something when she looks outside at the Galahs flock sitting on the power lines en masse.
Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• baby feathers.jpg
    baby feathers.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 88

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Morning all from way down in Tasmania. Quick questions for y'all.
1/ Do parrots (IRN) poop less as they get older? I tried to search the web but couldn't find this specific question answered. Missy will be 4 months on Jan 5th and poops like every 14 minutes. I try to catch them all but.... the sneaky little buggers must have legs and run and hide to come out after, I have done what I think is a thorough poop cleanse (and no, not the bird poop mask).
2/ And you may automatically think of the first question when I ask this but I'd just like some of your opinions and experience in this please.... I've been told that if I get two birds, I will not have such a connection with them as I would with one bird, but I can't help but feel somewhat bad that Missy doesn't have a feathered friend to share her life with too. I mean, I got a second dog for my girl Lola for when I am not able to be one on one with them, or I have to go out. Thing is, Lola is a weird dog.... she don't care either way - and that applies to Lola and Missy too. Missy and Pyper seem to be breaking the ice together.... slowly. And no. I don't leave Missy out of her cage if I am not at home.
She is still a baby and still learning along the way and I am too... but I can't help but feel she must feel something when she looks outside at the Galahs flock sitting on the power lines en masse.
Thanks in Advance.

Hello MissMac and Missy, It is a good idea to observe our bird closely the way you do. If you notice less poop, it points 👉 to several things....

1.....she eat less (on cold day)
Home remedy
= keep her warm, offer high energy easy to digest food Banana 🍌 boiled pumpkin 🎃

Introduce a variety of food to her will be as much fun as training her.

Post in thread 'How to get my cockatiel to eat fruit' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/how-to-get-my-cockatiel-to-eat-fruit.91574/post-946126

2....slow digestion
home remedy
= give ripe papaya, yogurt, a pot of fresh basil, easy to digest food

Then wait a few hours to see that her poop speed return, you will also see red papaya poop in healthy bird after papaya feeding. Here's how to detect health issues by monitoring bird's poop........

Question2
I love your caring thoughts for Missy.
There are many things to do with intelligent baby like Missy but......

As for.....Getting 2 birds
....what's the worst that could happen?
Well, if they fight, you will be in the middle of it. From our experience, some fights not only draw serious blood but crippled. Last I heard was a friendly introduction turned into a wound that needed 5 stitches.

So I recommend that you spend a minimum of 1 to2 hours every morning and evening evening as training time with her. Let her enjoy her afternoon naps during the day and teach her to play alone in her cage too. These are my recommendation for Missy.......

1) teach her to be independent

2...bubble carrier for taking Missy with you when you can.

3.....large cage with new toys frequently and toy rotation. Diy foraging toys

4...teaching simple commands such as step up, stay, go home, potty training

5....fun training such as recall training and indoor flights

Post in thread 'Long-Distance (Indoor) Flight' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/long-distance-indoor-flight.91602/post-945883

Please keep us posted

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hello MissMac and Missy, It is a good idea to observe our bird closely the way you do. If you notice less poop, it points 👉 to several things....

1.....she eat less (on cold day)
Home remedy
= keep her warm, offer high energy easy to digest food Banana 🍌 boiled pumpkin 🎃

Introduce a variety of food to her will be as much fun as training her.

Post in thread 'How to get my cockatiel to eat fruit' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/how-to-get-my-cockatiel-to-eat-fruit.91574/post-946126

2....slow digestion
home remedy
= give ripe papaya, yogurt, a pot of fresh basil, easy to digest food

Then wait a few hours to see that her poop speed return, you will also see red papaya poop in healthy bird after papaya feeding. Here's how to detect health issues by monitoring bird's poop........

Question2
I love your caring thoughts for Missy.
There are many things to do with intelligent baby like Missy but......

As for.....Getting 2 birds
....what's the worst that could happen?
Well, if they fight, you will be in the middle of it. From our experience, some fights not only draw serious blood but crippled. Last I heard was a friendly introduction turned into a wound that needed 5 stitches.

So I recommend that you spend a minimum of 1 to2 hours every morning and evening evening as training time with her. Let her enjoy her afternoon naps during the day and teach her to play alone in her cage too. These are my recommendation for Missy.......

1) teach her to be independent

2...bubble carrier for taking Missy with you when you can.

3.....large cage with new toys frequently and toy rotation. Diy foraging toys

4...teaching simple commands such as step up, stay, go home, potty training

5....fun training such as recall training and indoor flights

Post in thread 'Long-Distance (Indoor) Flight' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/long-distance-indoor-flight.91602/post-945883

Please keep us posted
I have no health reasons listed for the poop question. I just wanted to know if parrots poop more as babies and less as the grow. Again, not asking for health reasons.
As for training time. She, at nearly 4 months, looses interest in training after about 15 minutes, and I had heard, to not do long training sessions and to keep it to 10 - 15 max. I think anything longer would lessen the chance of her becoming independent and more reliant on me.
My opinion on the Bubble carriers is still undecided. When I go out she is put into her cage and I go out. I don't see the need to take her with me everywhere I go. I feel that she might feel less than safe in a bubble carrier on my back with nothing but clear acrylic between her and the whole world and me, no where in sight.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lol just got your title;)
Birds have a simple digestive system. They are designed to eat little amounts all the time, and it passes through them pretty quickly. I know mine poop about every half hour. They seem to have an average poop size, but can have smaller or larger poops.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think every 15 min is about right for a bird the size of an IRN or Quaker. I think my Quaker goes about ever 10-15 minutes. I haven’t timed it though.

I’m guessing babies eat more than adults and probably poop more, too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts