Oh my gosh! I get to work with parrots!!!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
My parents surprised me and signed me up to work at a parrot rescue place!!! I just need to fill out the papers and I'm golden! I have wanted to go there sooooo bad! The best parrot rescue in WA! :D :rainbow1:

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Thanks! That will help me lots because I would love another bird but now is NOT the time so I will be around parrots of all types!! :D

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I've done that. Be prepared for bites, bruises and broken fingers ^^

It is very rewarding! You will love it. Just don't get discouraged. You will see a lot of terrible things, but know that you are making a difference, and changing bad to good.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Congratulations!

I will add though - be careful, because any illnesses or diseases any birds there have can be passed along to your bird via you.
I'd suggest taking a shower and changing your clothes once you get home, before you interact with your conure :)

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Congratulations!

I will add though - be careful, because any illnesses or diseases any birds there have can be passed along to your bird via you.
I'd suggest taking a shower and changing your clothes once you get home, before you interact with your conure :)

Yes absolutely! I heard hydrochloric acid works great at washing away grime ;-)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Good for you, working at a parrot rescue sounds like a rewarding experience for a parrot lover. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations! This is going to be such a wonderful experience for you, and I am hoping you will tell us all about it:)

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Thank you everyone!!! :D I am very excited! :)
Mekaisto: I thought of that. I wondered if I should change clothes and shower.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Wow congrats!!! You'll have to let us know of your rescue adventures ...when do you start??

And definitely change your clothes (put them in the washer right away) and shower when you get home. Also, I'd go as far as designating a specific pair of shoes that you wear only at the rescue... Don't wear them in your house.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Most rescues have quarantine procedures in place. As long as you have been working with the quarantined birds I wouldn't worry too much...

I did that for 5+ years. None of mine ever got sick once. And, actually, at the time I had 11 birds, and all but three of them CAME FROM there...

You will be amazed at how much you learn in a short period of time once you start handling them all the time. That's where I learned it.

OP
kq_fan

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Thanks birdman! I hope maybe one day my family can adopt one from there! I love to adopt from shelters, that's where I got Lilo from! :) I'm not quite sure when I stray but I will post how the first few days will go! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts