Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Now what am I going to do.

I had a Dr. apt today and when I was looking up the address with google maps I noticed a pet shop near by.
Online it looked like they had birds so I figured it was worth a stop.

The first bird I see at the very back of the store is a beautiful Congo African Grey.
I snapped a picture and can upload later if interested.

Talking with the salesman I find out.
He is a HE and his name is Mr. Bird.
He is 15 years old.
HE belongs to the store and is not for sale.
He really likes me, he was regurgitating to me in less than 30 sec.
He appears to be an a really bad diet of seeds with a large number of sunflower seeds included.

I feal so much like I did after seeing Bella for the first time.
I want to go back to the store.
I want to play with the bird.
I want to talak to the owner and try to talk him into it.
I would "like" to have a friend/mate for Bella if it would work out that way.

Sigh

I know I am in the right place to talk about this as so many here have been through the same thing.

Texsize.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My goodness, Wes, I don't know what you're going to do - I don't know how you've managed to resist trying to persuade the owner to allow you to adopt that bird even for *this* long!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I know how you feel ! I was at petsmart 2 weeks ago getting doggt stuff when I saw they had a GCC, unusual for this store, mostly parakeets. THe little guy flew immediately to me, and was begging for scratches thru the bars of the cage. SO wanted to take him home!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Here is a photo of Mr. Bird.

Mr Bird.jpg

Thinking about going back this morning if I can talk the other half into going with me.

Want to see if I can get hold of the store owner and at the least leave my name an ph#.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have been there so many times that I have stopped visiting any Pet Stores and/or Rescues. So many Parrots pick-up that I'm a Parrot Person and most commonly want to interact. We are strictly a single Amazon Home and as a result, I have totally stopped!

Not being cruel, but there needs to be a point that one needs to stop and remember that sometimes it is better to love the ones you have and believe that another may become one too many.

Dear friend, your responsibilities are extensive with both Parrots and Humans. Time to focus your limited time and energies.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have searched for the large bird photo thread and came up empty.
Don’t want to start a whole new thread.
Just snapped this cute picture of Bella with a lot of her chest feathers growing in.
BE887A06-D5AC-4DE8-B173-5F0C296A5D1A.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have searched for the large bird photo thread and came up empty.
Don’t want to start a whole new thread.
Just snapped this cute picture of Bella with a lot of her chest feathers growing in.
View attachment 43136
She's looking fantastic, Wes! 😍

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have been there so many times that I have stopped visiting any Pet Stores and/or Rescues. So many Parrots pick-up that I'm a Parrot Person and most commonly want to interact. We are strictly a single Amazon Home and as a result, I have totally stopped!

Not being cruel, but there needs to be a point that one needs to stop and remember that sometimes it is better to love the ones you have and believe that another may become one too many.

Dear friend, your responsibilities are extensive with both Parrots and Humans. Time to focus your limited time and energies.
This was totally me today when I was talking to a rescue organization. I even told the person that from here on out, I can no longer foster any animal. It just gets to be too emotional letting them go and keeping anymore would spread me too thin for my current animals which wouldn't be fair either.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

A man’s got to know his limitations.
Clint Eastwood.

There is a YouTube channel with a woman in Florida that has 22 species of parrots.

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
I feal so much like I did after seeing Bella for the first time.
I want to go back to the store.
I want to play with the bird.
I want to talak to the owner and try to talk him into it.
I would "like" to have a friend/mate for Bella if it would work out that way.

I had a very similar experience, years ago. A pet store I happened to go into, a parrot clear at the back, in a filthy cage - a cockatoo. As soon as she saw me, she was on the bars of her cage, trying to get to me, saying "Hi, baby" over and over again. I stroked her beak through the bars, she grabbed hold of my finger with one claw and didn't want to let go. I stayed and talked to her for probably an hour. I asked the guy at the sales desk, and he told me the same thing you were told - store bird, not for sale. It killed me. I left and made myself not go back, but I still think about that poor, sad, lonely bird at the back of that shop.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I know how you feel ! I was at petsmart 2 weeks ago getting doggt stuff when I saw they had a GCC, unusual for this store, mostly parakeets. THe little guy flew immediately to me, and was begging for scratches thru the bars of the cage. SO wanted to take him home!
I had the exact same experience at petsmart, it was a green cheek conure also and it came right up to the front of the glass enclosure to play with my fingers..doing summersaults ...
2 more visits and I bought him , after 1 hour I was holding him in my hand and scratching him head and neck... almost 2 months later and I couldn't be happier with him.

Tom S

Aug 16, 2022
Same thing with me I go to the pet store each week and there is this GCC and when I stick my finger out in step up mode he jumps and flies all the way to the front cage bars like if he was doing a flying step up maybe he does this for everyone?

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
I had the exact same experience at petsmart, it was a green cheek conure also and it came right up to the front of the glass enclosure to play with my fingers..doing summersaults ...
2 more visits and I bought him , after 1 hour I was holding him in my hand and scratching him head and neck... almost 2 months later and I couldn't be happier with him.
This is him 1 hour after I opened tcardboard box and let him loose in his cage

Attachments

• 20220715_084637.jpg
    20220715_084637.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 62
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yah I wanted to.
and tell them cleaning up the bottom of the cage might be a good idea.
Just a mess of seeds no paper or anything to collect droppings.

But walking in and telling them that they are doing it all wrong…… I don’t think it would work.

I have not gone back.the place has a very late opening. Not till 11:00 am.
by that time it’s over 90 deg F.
After the news I got AT the Dr. I don’t think there is much I can do to help him out.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
"Not being cruel, but there needs to be a point that one needs to stop and remember that sometimes it is better to love the ones you have and believe that another may become one too many."

The way I feel about wives!
Or you could move to the Middle East, like my ex.

Most Reactions

Latest posts