Oil Diffusers

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
I canā€™t burn candles or melt wax with my parrotā€¦ Iā€™ve read oil diffusers are safe with certain oilsā€¦ what do you guys say? Birds have a smell in small rooms and I need to mask the bird smell XD

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
no no and no. no scents are safe for birds. Especially when they're concentrated like oils are.

Boil orange peels and cinnamon sticks
I live with my parents because Iā€™m seventeen and I donā€™t have a hot plate in my room šŸ˜…

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
When you boil things like orange the oils are what puts that scent into the air, so I figured itā€™d be safe to diffuse since itā€™s essentially the same thing

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Unfortunately they're not at all the same thing :(

Essential oils are made by extracting the chemicals that provide the scent, and then combining them with a carrier oil. So it's firstly an extremely concentrated version of what you'd smell just peeling an orange, and it's in oil.

A diffuser works by spraying teeny droplets of that oil into the air. These can be breathed in by your bird, and even if the particular essential oil compound is not a toxic one, can cause respiratory issues.

I haven't found any studies that say it's safe, so for me, that means it's a hard no.

I haven't noticed a major odor with my ringneck, but I do notice where I volunteer that the conure poops definitely smell more "bird-y". Not as strong as a chicken coop, but it is noticeable.

If you think that might be part of it with your conure, maybe you could experiment with different ways of managing poop cleaning? Like try paper towels instead of newspaper (soggy poo newspaper smells bad to me lol), or try a different cleaner (I use Oxyfresh gel diluted 1 tablespoon in 32oz water because it is safe without needing to rinse a ton and I can just go to town with a wet washcloth on all the bars/perches).

Another thing to think of is that fabrics will hold smells way more than your cage will. I notice it a LOT when I've had elderly furry pets. You could try washing your bedding more often, and your curtains and throw rugs if you have them too.

If you have a carpet, vacuuming more might also help, since maybe all the teeny feather dust particles can add up? I'm not sure on that one, I have asthma so I'm over the top with vacuuming ;)

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Unfortunately they're not at all the same thing :(

Essential oils are made by extracting the chemicals that provide the scent, and then combining them with a carrier oil. So it's firstly an extremely concentrated version of what you'd smell just peeling an orange, and it's in oil.

A diffuser works by spraying teeny droplets of that oil into the air. These can be breathed in by your bird, and even if the particular essential oil compound is not a toxic one, can cause respiratory issues.

I haven't found any studies that say it's safe, so for me, that means it's a hard no.

I haven't noticed a major odor with my ringneck, but I do notice where I volunteer that the conure poops definitely smell more "bird-y". Not as strong as a chicken coop, but it is noticeable.

If you think that might be part of it with your conure, maybe you could experiment with different ways of managing poop cleaning? Like try paper towels instead of newspaper (soggy poo newspaper smells bad to me lol), or try a different cleaner (I use Oxyfresh gel diluted 1 tablespoon in 32oz water because it is safe without needing to rinse a ton and I can just go to town with a wet washcloth on all the bars/perches).

Another thing to think of is that fabrics will hold smells way more than your cage will. I notice it a LOT when I've had elderly furry pets. You could try washing your bedding more often, and your curtains and throw rugs if you have them too.

If you have a carpet, vacuuming more might also help, since maybe all the teeny feather dust particles can add up? I'm not sure on that one, I have asthma so I'm over the top with vacuuming ;)
I always stay on top of cleaning his cage and itā€™s not his excrement itā€™s just that birdy dusty smell lol he bathes in clean water wnd everything just has that dusty bird smell, and Iā€™ve been trying to find ways to cover it

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I always stay on top of cleaning his cage and itā€™s not his excrement itā€™s just that birdy dusty smell lol he bathes in clean water wnd everything just has that dusty bird smell, and Iā€™ve been trying to find ways to cover it
get a lavender plant that you can put on your windowsill

chookov

Feb 2, 2023
Parrots
25yo female B&G
hello, just stumbled upon this forum looking for something else and came across this post.

as a practicing aromatherapist of nearly 40 years, i wanted to comment on this:
"Essential oils are made by extracting the chemicals that provide the scent, and then combining them with a carrier oil. So it's firstly an extremely concentrated version of what you'd smell just peeling an orange, and it's in oil."

PURE, UNADULTERATED essential oils are NOT made by "combining them with any carrier oil" - you can add carrier oils to the EO's for application purposes, but they are not an intregal part of the EO constituents.

Orange oils, (and most of the citrus oils) are usually produced by EXPRESSION - which (to put it simply) is to say the peels are cold pressed in a specialized machine, and what comes out of the peel is the "essential oil". if you take a piece of orange peel and squeeze it, the little droplets that fly out of it is pretty much what you will get in REPUTABLE orange essential oil. it is only as "concentrated" as it is when extracted. there is no further concentration of the constituents after extraction.
if you have an oil that has anything added to it, it is not a true essential oil.

Citrus oils have one of the largest yields per amount of raw material, and are relatively inexpensive to produce, so they are rarely adulterated - but what you need to make 100% sure of, is that you are getting, again, PURE, UNADULTERATED, Essential Oil, that will have it's botanical name clearly stated, (in the case of orange oil: Citrus sinensis, or Citrus aurantium) and not a "perfume oil" or "massage oil", and that you are getting it from a reliable essential oil producer - not walmart, not amazon, not a discount drug store, and definately not a 'home goods' store.

While I completely agree with Cottonoid about not using a diffuser directly in the vicinity of a parrot that can not freely get away from it, EOs can be safely used with and around parrots, but you REALLY need to know what you are doing, (which ones are safe to use and how to use them)

One of the biggest places people get bad advice is from MLM distributors (think young living and doterra) DO NOT EVER LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE - they are trained to get as much money out of you as they can and rarely, if ever, have any real training on the safety of using EOs. Their claim of being the "purest" and "safest" so they are "superior to all other oils" everywhere and can be used for everything is total hogwash. I'd use the other word I'd prefer to, but dunno if swearing is permitted :)

In closing, I will not offer any unsolicited advice here, but I have been using EOs for specific purposes with my B&G for over 15 years - got her when she was 7 - and she has never been harmed by them . . . but then again I have decades of education and know what i'm doing.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'm gonna have to disagree with the above. "has never been harmed" is just saying they havent died or gotten actively ill. Smokers can smoke for decades with little to no issue until one day they're diagnosed with lung cancer and dont have long.

Parrots have much more sensitive lungs than us. For example, non stick pans can kill them very fast. There have been studies that show non stick pans arent entirely safe for humans either.

Just because a parrot isnt showing any outward signs of problems, doesnt mean there arent problems developing internally.

An all seed diet isnt going to outright kill a parrot. however it does damage their liver and shorten their longevity significantly.

essential oils are relatively new to the market. sure they were around for awhile but they havent been as pushed and as popular as they are now. We do not know the long term affects of being exposed to essential oils in humans, let alone birds. However we DO know that similar products harm birds and harm their longevity.

I stand firm by essential oils of any kind, not being worth the risk.

chookov

Feb 2, 2023
Parrots
25yo female B&G
I'm gonna have to disagree with the above. "has never been harmed" is just saying they havent died or gotten actively ill. Smokers can smoke for decades with little to no issue until one day they're diagnosed with lung cancer and dont have long.

Parrots have much more sensitive lungs than us. For example, non stick pans can kill them very fast. There have been studies that show non stick pans arent entirely safe for humans either.

Just because a parrot isnt showing any outward signs of problems, doesnt mean there arent problems developing internally.

An all seed diet isnt going to outright kill a parrot. however it does damage their liver and shorten their longevity significantly.

essential oils are relatively new to the market. sure they were around for awhile but they havent been as pushed and as popular as they are now. We do not know the long term affects of being exposed to essential oils in humans, let alone birds. However we DO know that similar products harm birds and harm their longevity.

I stand firm by essential oils of any kind, not being worth the risk.
While i can fully appreciate your valid concerns, as I stated, I have been a practicing aromatherapist for NEARLY 40 YEARS.
What i hope you are refering to when you say
essential oils are relatively new to the market.
is the RECENT EXPLOSIVE PROLIFERATION of people selling "essential oils" (with a wide variance of quality and purity), due to the expansive reach of social media and MLM's. The majority of these sellers are dispensing unqualified, and potentially harmful advice.
I AM NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE.

Available evidence suggests that humankind recognised the power of aromatics as early as the Neolithic Period, which ended some 4,000 years ago. In 1928 French perfumer and cosmetic chemist Rene M. Gattefosse published his book Aromatherapie, showing the use of essential oils as antiseptic, antibacterial skincare and coined the term "Aromatherapy" - which has become today's popular "buzzword".

To be perfectly clear, I am not recommending in any way that you do anything you are uncomfortable with.

What I was specifically commenting on was the misinformation of what exactly essential oils are.
To address another one of your blanket statements, there actually have been "long term studies" done, with resulting research papers published, as to the efficacy and safety of using EO's. You just have to know where to access them.

My raptor (she not really but she thinks she is) has at least yearly whole-body checkups, including bloodwork, with a Certified Avian Veterinarian. If she had been harmed in any way by any usage, it would have been noticed. This is not to say I inundate her with their use, but I have, and do, refer to them when the situation allows for it.

After 20 years of parrot care and ownership, and 40 years of EO continuing education and practice, I am educated enough to know that teflon and 'all seed' diets are bad, and otherwise make concerned decisions regarding her safety and care.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
You are also not a scientist that has done extensive research into the longterm affects of essential oils on BIRDS. 40 years isnt long for a macaw. They can live 80+ years. You've only been using essential oils around her for ~15. Shes young. A blood work doesnt show everything.

Again, studies have not been done on the long term affects of essential oils on birds. Key word, BIRDS.

you're free to take whatever risks you want, but since there have been lots of studies and experiences of similar products being extensively dangerous for birds, I'm happy enough keeping essential oils and similar products, far away.

chookov

Feb 2, 2023
Parrots
25yo female B&G
I am not here to argue. you do you, boo
You have made your opinion on Essential Oils abundantly clear. Repeatedly. I can respect that.

I would, however, appreciate you not making assumptions on what I am or am not, my qualifications, or any research I may be privy to.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
If my assumptions are wrong, the please do share with some peer reviewed scientific journals about studies concerning the long term affects of essential oils on parrots. Or really any animal. I am more than happy to learn more if there are indeed these journals saying essential oils are safe in the long term.

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Yā€™all šŸ’€ I was legit just asking about essential oils or any natural things I can use in my room to help suppress the bird smell.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This has been an interestingā€¦ā€¦ discussion and I donā€™t have a whole lot to add.
I tend to have a sensitive sense of smell and with 9 birds in a 1,300 sq. Ft. House I donā€™t smell them.
My wife claims she smells them but IMHO her sen of smell is nowhere close as good as mine.

we had a rose called Brandy that had the wonderful delicate smell she insisted it had no smell .

on the other hand my primary care physicianā€™s office as an essential oil diffuser and I am sooo glad that my n95 mask removes most of the smell itā€™s the one place I am happy to wear the stupid thing.

Considering all the things that can harm or outright kill a companion bird I would only accept what my certified avian vet recommended.
They are, in the end the only expert I would listen to on this subject.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Please keep posts on a friendly, positive note. No one on here is a Certified Avian Vet, or an avian research scientist. All we can do is present our opinion on a given topic, based on experience and knowledge gained, applicable to your own parrot. Readers can take that at face value, but please keep in mind we have many members who are from all parts of this wide wonderful world and wide ranges of experience. Thanks all.

chookov

Feb 2, 2023
Parrots
25yo female B&G
I did not want to come on here being all uppity (and possibly rude) by immediately tossing out my complete Curriculum Vitae - I am not one to be of frequent use of social media and have no desire to document my entire life on such.

But to lay all of the posited and incorrect assumptions to rest, I AM a scientist. To be precise, a biologist - with a special interest in veterinary science with regards to alternative medicines for animals, as well as a Clinical Aromatherapist and Master Herbalist. Two studies I am currently involved with include using EOs and hydrosols specifically for wound management on captive parrots, and a study using cold-processed THCa for tumors in dogs - which is showing absolutely incredible promise! I hold no desire to be attacked for sharing my education and expertise, and what results there have been so far with regard to the studies.

Just because YOUR vet does not recommend something, (perhaps because it directly affects their bottom line?) does not inherently mean it cannot be used safely with proper knowledge and application. It never has, and never will be, my intention to force anything on anybody.
Take what you need and leave the rest . . .

So, cheers you lot, then.
That is all.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have given-up on suggesting that individuals not use this or that around their Parrots!

All of the items in questions have strong marketing groups in place and "people" buy into the instant abilities of the magical "this or that" overwhelms our tiny voices!

Hence forward, my answer is going to be: Do what Ever You want, just do not call me when your Parrot is sick /dying. Reality is; Humans have used birds to die, if dangerous whatever are present! If they want to use their birds in a like manner, so be it!

Hard, yes, but that's the truth I am faced with. Not my bird, Not my problem!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Two studies I am currently involved with include using EOs and hydrosols specifically for wound management on captive parrots, and a study using cold-processed THCa for tumors in dogs - which is showing absolutely incredible promise! I hold no desire to be attacked for sharing my education and expertise, and what results there have been so far with regard to the studies.

That sounds really fascinating. Our small animal vet has reccomended CBD oils for our dogs, Iā€™m very interested to see what THCa can do. (I know those arenā€™t the same thing, although I must admit, my bachelors is in visual artsā€¦LOL!)

Iā€™m sorry you have had a hard time here with your first post. I think a lot of us here are very wary about EO use around parrots for the same point you keep making, which is that itā€™s trendy now and most readily available products are cut with chemicals and delivery oils that are not bird safe. I assume the concern here is that someone will not fully read or understand what is being said, and pop over to a grocery store and buy a Febreeze oil defuser or something and be totally shocked when their bird becomes ill. I understand also though that other peoplesā€™ reading comprehension isnā€™t your responsibility.

We all care a lot about our birds and donā€™t want to put them at unnecessary risk - and that can spark debate! I suppose we should be glad this wasnā€™t a wing clipping thread; those go for blood quickly! ;)

I hope you will reconsider and stick around, as I imagine you have a lot of interesting perspectives as a long time parrot owner & biologist.

Most Reactions

Latest posts