Oil Paint

Iris227

Jun 1, 2022
Parrots
Mango - male opaline redhead lovebird; Frosty - male opaline blue whiteheaded lovebird; Muffin - wild green budgie; Cookie - lutino budgie
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if oil paints are ok for birds. The thing I'm concerned about is turpentine, which I am suspecting is bad for birds. For this reason I was thinking with switching to water based oils, but are there any threats with that stuff? Like, which one is better? Should I not use any at all? Should I only use one? If so, why?

Thank you!
~Iris​

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think water-soluble oils would be better and I’m going to try them. I like painting but I feel like acrylics can look really “cold”.

You don’t use a solvent like turpentine but wash brushes with soap and water and dilute the paints with water or another oil or aqueous medium.

I get bad migraines and fear that turpentine would set me off easily, if laundry detergent or deodorant or whatever give me migraines. I think this helps me be a better bird owner.

Last edited:
OP
I

Iris227

Jun 1, 2022
Parrots
Mango - male opaline redhead lovebird; Frosty - male opaline blue whiteheaded lovebird; Muffin - wild green budgie; Cookie - lutino budgie
Thanks! I also think that acrylic looks too dull after drying. That's why I don't use them.
Turpentine does smell like chemicals and you can get lung cancer from it, so that's why I werote. I was not sure about the effect on birds this might have.

Thanks for the reply!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very true, Artist oil based paints and the chemicals used to cut and clean-up are dangerous as the chemical off-gassing is very high and many are considered poisons for Humans. Remember that birds had been used for centuries to warn miners of dangerous gasses. What Humans are uncomfortable with will kill a bird.

Time to consider an outdoor (separate building) art studio to obtain the coloration you are looking for! Just remember, most of the product you are using /considering is classified as a poison for Humans and all recommend use in well-vented areas.
As an FYI: Check the country of manufacture as many have little or no regard for your safety, let alone your Parrot's.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think acrylic paints are quite safe but will be very cautious trying the water-soluble oils.

Enamel paints are dreadful as is the smell of drying oil paintings. I figure if it makes ME sick, what chance has a bird got?

But I really really hate leather shoe protectant. The worst smell of all.

Most Reactions

Latest posts