Oils (vitamin E or coconut)

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Is this product safe to use on parrot's feet?

Made with Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil and Tocopheryl Acetate.

Or organic virgin coconut oil, cold pressed, unrefined.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I’ll admit I’ve never understood this drive people have to oil or grease up their parrots feet. Just makes no sense to me.

But that wasn’t the question.

No need for vitamin E oil. Thats …a strange one I’ve never heard.

Coconut oil I have seen people use for this purpose. It IS safe.

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
My curiosity stemmed from two things (but I agree that other than a healthy, varied diet, a cuttlebone or calcium source, and a spacious, clean environment, most other things are not needed):

My avian vet applied some kind of oil/lotion to my birds feet. Interestingly, when discussing beak/nail trimming, she pointed out that is more for the owner and is not necessary - it doesn't happen in nature, she said, but would trim the nails if I wanted. She seems to take the more naturalist approach to care, and there is no pot of oil that wild bird's wade in that I'm aware of.

I was a bit alarmed to see a bald spot on my IRN's head, so in researching that, feedback from other's visits to their avian vet suggested that an aqueas lotion or vit E/coconut oil could be applied to help with comfort and aid in skin healing, for completely healthy birds. In my case, I think it is just part of a molt cycle and nothing to worry about yet. I just have not seen it happen this way before.

Last edited:

Most Reactions