Okay, just some new links for pictures and videos

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh my look at those babies, boy they have grown so much haven't they. And their colouring is just amazing. :D

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Oh they are all way too adorable!!! You got a couple of little cuties. It must be so much fun to be watching them get bigger!!!

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I am so proud of them all. Pix and Serenity are such incredible parents and in my opinion many human parents could take some lessons on loving and caring for their babies. They are tender, kind, strict but compassionate and nurturing. They protect them (even when they really don't need to) but let them try things safely. This last week (ok, maybe 4 or 5 days at most) Jade has been showing interest to leave the nest. He's been sticking his head and shoulders out of the nest door and this morning he's been putting one little foot up on the edge. Serenity and Pix are watching him closely, but letting him discover, but there to stuff him back in if they feel he is going too far too fast.

Question: does anyone know when they should be put in their own cage? I have had some say they put the babies in their own cage I can't remember at what age, but put the father in to feed and ween them during the day and the father back in with momma at night. Any thoughts, advise, opinions on this?? I had Jade and Tango in their cage yesterday to visit it and try it out (with momma and poppa there too) and they seemed to be quite happy. They barely all fit in the nest box and with Jade looking at wandering out of the nest, well I am a little nervous in the sense I don't want him to fall and get hurt.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Are they eating anything on their own yet? Kito was about 10 weeks old when I put him in a bigger cage(not the one hes in now), I padded the bottom of it so he couldn't hurt himself and made him a cosy corner, well in the corner so he could cuddle up and sleep in comfort. I also had food/water in his dishes on the floor and put a perch very low to the floor, just in case he wanted to sit a little higher.

When I first got Kito home he was 8 weeks approx, so he's been in a small cage since then.

If they are eating on their own it would give mom and dad a break, even if for a little time. How old are they now?

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Jade will beak at things (soft stuff like bananas and fingers and such) and I offered them both some ground up pellets mixed up with some water which they gobbled up (just did it to see if they'd like it). I also know that they have at least had the other foods I give to momma and poppa (I've seen their little beaks a little blueberried hehe). Jade is one month and two days old today and Tango is 29 days old today. Man, they are so old!! :O

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Jade will beak at things (soft stuff like bananas and fingers and such) and I offered them both some ground up pellets mixed up with some water which they gobbled up (just did it to see if they'd like it). I also know that they have at least had the other foods I give to momma and poppa (I've seen their little beaks a little blueberried hehe). Jade is one month and two days old today and Tango is 29 days old today. Man, they are so old!! :O

My instincts would tell me to try it for a while, just to see how they all get on, but then once the babies are out, are you prepared to hand feed if necessary, just incase mom and pop don't take them back. Is something to think carefully about. Oh hang on a mo, I'll be back................................

Back again, thought I had this somewhere, take a look at these, the movies aren't the best quality but you can see what its showing ya.

http://www.parrotparrot.com/lovebirds/handfeed.htm

It makes for some interesting reading. (there is also a part one.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Yesterday I put them all in the babies cage while I cleaned momma and poppa's and they all seemed to be quite content. I have it sitting beside momma and poppa's cage, and it is equipped with two very low perches, some plastic rings (Jade was playing with them - SO cute!), and, because they were just visiting, a small dish of water (which Jade played in - SO cute!). I have doubled newspapers over the grate as Tango was having troubles getting his footing, and a wooden perch on the bottom held fairly still between two of the grate bars. They all had a nap in there, momma and poppa up at the top snuggled up and the babies in a corner on the floor. Jade and Tango are grooming eachother, Jade even does something that could be translated as feeding Tango (SO CUTE!!) and they seemed quite happy in there. I think I will sort of ween them into being comfortable in the new cage. Momma and Poppa were a little upset when I put Jade and Tango in the new cage and both parents even nipped at me. I think I will get them all used to the idea while Serenity and Pix are in their own cage, and put Jade and Tango in their cage while handling them.

Will let you all know how it progresses.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds good to me, babies are obviously happy in there and it gives them more room than the nest box, especially as they are getting bigger. Once they start climbing about you could put more newspapers down just to stop them when they fall. Keep us informed. :D

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I was thinking put them in (at least during the day with at least poppa having access) during the day and maybe back in the box (for now) for the night. I will see if they will eat any food on their own though (soft stuff like banana, blue berries, pumpkin, and maybe some lettuces) and see how they go. I will do my "normal" thing today though and start that tomorrow morning (its 1:30pm here now). Tango will be practically a month old then and with Jade taking such sweet care of him I am sure they will be fine. Jade, by the way, is so very nurturing towards Tango. Tango is definitely the younger sibling.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds good, it will give everyone a break, them from "parronts" and mom and dad from "babies" (its now 21.45 here, nearly time for my beauty sleep, I need loads of that :D)

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Their coloring is so gorgeous and they have the personalities to go with their coloring ... bright, happy and friendly.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Wow! :eek: Those kids are growing really fast! :)

They are gorgeous! :) Have they started playing (with each other? maybe toys?) or are they still too clumpsy? :D

Well I would follow your plan, until you are sure that the babies can feed themselves, then letting them more and more time in their own cage..Will this make the parents breed again?Do they breed once a season?Do you plan to let them breed again this year?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

They are so cute anyway... :):)

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Oh hush - no more babies right yet !!

The babies are just over 4 and 5 weeks old now, and yes, Jade is playing with ring toys and trying to get Tango to play with him. Tango is still not as advanced as Jade, but next week they aught to be playing quite well together. Also, yesterday while I had the babies alone in their cage, Jade climbed way up the side! I'm talking right to the top (well, before the arch part)! From the bottom up maybe 18 inches ... and he got back down. He is also able to drink on his own from a shallow dish. I think he will wean quickly.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
What a big progress he has made! :)

I'm sure Tango will follow Jade's steps and they will be playing together short time...:D

It must be really fascinating to raise baby parrots, I only have experience on raising baby canaries, but parrots are far more playfull and funny.. :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
In no time at all, you'll have them both playing with everything. :eek: and I do mean everything. :D

Most Reactions