Older birds hard to tame?

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
I think i have tried everything everyone told me! I have tried every single little thing and this parrot is just too aggresive. Noone understands shes 18 never been handled. I need some hope.. i dont want to get rid of her..

Anyone have any tips?
Can anyone message me through pms? I really need someone that has time like me to lead me through its so difficult when the parrot is so aggresive!

She strikes when you pass her cage and also when wanting to clean her cage. Also i dont think its a girl its a boy reason why i believe this is because it was regurtiating food on my dogs nose for some odd reason he/she only likes dogs maybe the past? Maybe doesnt like its name?
Also i wouldnt like to grab her with a towel its not nice, i havent done it so dont assume i believe its unfair
Anyone please help i would really appreciate it!!

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
I think i have tried everything everyone told me! I have tried every single little thing and this parrot is just too aggresive. Noone understands shes 18 never been handled. I need some hope.. i dont want to get rid of her..

Anyone have any tips?
Can anyone message me through pms? I really need someone that has time like me to lead me through its so difficult when the parrot is so aggresive!

She strikes when you pass her cage and also when wanting to clean her cage. Also i dont think its a girl its a boy reason why i believe this is because it was regurtiating food on my dogs nose for some odd reason he/she only likes dogs maybe the past? Maybe doesnt like its name?
Also i wouldnt like to grab her with a towel its not nice, i havent done it so dont assume i believe its unfair

what type of parrot do you have ?didnt you knew her background before adopting her?? she is 18 and she may had a horrible life do you know the background?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not that long ago, near all Parrots had been Wild as the vast majority had been Imported! The reality is that near everyone stated with a Wild Parrot and near everyone was successful!

What has been lost between then and now is two things!

- Parrots have no natural reason to trust Humans! Humans, must provide a solid reason, with every contact that they are worth Trusting!

- Building trust with a Parrot takes time sometimes a very long time and that has been fully forgotten.

It is as hard and as long as the Human makes it!
Parrots are not the same as Dogs, which have been breed to accept Humans!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Great posts above. Thank you for coming here to try and help your feathered friend.

Where in this wide world are you located? What kind of parrot is this?

I think we need more background from you.

1. How long have you had her? HOW did you acquire her (adoption/handraised, etc). Was she ever tame before you?
2. What is her diet like?
3. Has she been to a certified avian vet for a complete check up, including blood work?

These answers will begin to form the groundwork for a way to move forward.

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
Great posts above. Thank you for coming here to try and help your feathered friend.

Where in this wide world are you located? What kind of parrot is this?

I think we need more background from you.

1. How long have you had her? HOW did you acquire her (adoption/handraised, etc). Was she ever tame before you?
2. What is her diet like?
3. Has she been to a certified avian vet for a complete check up, including blood work?

These answers will begin to form the groundwork for a way to move forward.

Ive had for her one month now, family member gave her to me most probably was mistrested.

I dont believe she was ever tamed or friendly with anyone in particular.

She seeds and veggies and fruits more veggies than anything.

Never been to a vet before was planning on taking her, however the whole covid thing messed it up

Im from new york USA and she is a hispanolian parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Not that long ago, near all Parrots had been Wild as the vast majority had been Imported! The reality is that near everyone stated with a Wild Parrot and near everyone was successful!

- Parrots have no natural reason to trust Humans! Humans, must provide a solid reason, with every contact that they are worth Trusting!

- Building trust with a Parrot takes time sometimes a very long time and that has been fully forgotten.

I was just thinking the same thing. People have made freinds with wild caught adult parrots ( for I pray we never snatch parrots from the wild ever again!l) so we know you can make friends.

I always urge to break everything's down to tiny steps with positive reinforcement. When people are starting at point like this, they always want to rush and that doesn't work.

You can even start with the bird looks at you, you say good bird and go drop a treat in their treat dish abd walk away. You can say hi, then walk up out a treat in the fish and walk away, you realest several times a day. You work up to them wsito or moving toward you and the treat fish for a treat.

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020

Anyone have any tips?

what type of parrot do you have ?didnt you knew her background before adopting her?? she is 18 and she may had a horrible life do you know the background?

Dont know much but know she was put in the smallest cage and people barely interacted with her because when i came over their house she was put in the smallest cage and noone ever put her attention and was always covered with a towel

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You are describing a cage bound bird that is not tame, and has never been bite pressure trained.

This bird will not step up because it has never been taught to step up.

This bird will also bite because the bird has never been taught not to bite.

This bird needs touch training. It needs socialization. It needs bite pressure training. It needs to learn to trust first and foremost.

This bird will also be aggressive around the cage, because the cage is the nest, and it will defend the nest to the death. The nest is all it has in the world. Without the nest there is no food, water, shelter or protection.

THIS is a project!

YES I know how. YES I've done it, many times. I've got a lot of the basics already posted somewhere on this site. BUT it is do-able.

Step one: Get the bird groomed and clipped. A clipped bird will be less aggressive.

Step two: Put the bird out on a playstand or a boing away from the cage... (the territory is the aggression trigger.) Let the bird get used to being outside the cage. Personally, I liked to use a boing on a hangar that I could move from room to room...

Interact with the bird, but mostly wait for the bird to want to interact with you. Ignore the bird when he or she is out on the playstand. Let the bird get your attention... then give the bird attention and treats. Slowly gain the bird's trust.

Then start with the basics... step up. no bite. touch training.

Then socialize, socialize, and socialize some more.

Should take somewhere between 2 to 4 months.

My red lored amazon was so aggressive when I got her that they were going to put her to sleep... that was somewhere around 18 to 19 years ago.

She's a love everyone, out and about, shoulder bird now. Has been since about four months in...

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
You are describing a cage bound bird that is not tame, and has never been bite pressure trained.

This bird will not step up because it has never been taught to step up.

This bird will also bite because the bird has never been taught not to bite.

This bird needs touch training. It needs socialization. It needs bite pressure training. It needs to learn to trust first and foremost.

This bird will also be aggressive around the cage, because the cage is the nest, and it will defend the nest to the death. The nest is all it has in the world. Without the nest there is no food, water, shelter or protection.

THIS is a project!

YES I know how. YES I've done it, many times. I've got a lot of the basics already posted somewhere on this site. BUT it is do-able.

Step one: Get the bird groomed and clipped. A clipped bird will be less aggressive.

Step two: Put the bird out on a playstand or a boing away from the cage... (the territory is the aggression trigger.) Let the bird get used to being outside the cage. Personally, I liked to use a boing on a hangar that I could move from room to room...

Interact with the bird, but mostly wait for the bird to want to interact with you. Ignore the bird when he or she is out on the playstand. Let the bird get your attention... then give the bird attention and treats. Slowly gain the bird's trust.

Then start with the basics... step up. no bite. touch training.

Then socialize, socialize, and socialize some more.

Should take somewhere between 2 to 4 months.

My red lored amazon was so aggressive when I got her that they were going to put her to sleep... that was somewhere around 18 to 19 years ago.

She's a love everyone, out and about, shoulder bird now. Has been since about four months in...

Thank you for your tips, but how do i put her on the perch or on something else so she will get used to being outside the cage? This gives me hope!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
To facilitate moving the bird from cage to stand, Don't use your hand, arm or a towel. Get the bird to step up on a wooden perch you hold in your hand. The bird has been mistreated for a long time; to gain it's trust and be able to train is going to be a long time project. Are you willing to spend a set amount of times a day to facilitate this? Birdman666 is correct but it will be (for you) a big and long term project. I would be willing to help, on facebook i am the same name; send me a friend request or get a moderator to send me a pm for contact info. jh

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
To facilitate moving the bird from cage to stand, Don't use your hand, arm or a towel. Get the bird to step up on a wooden perch you hold in your hand. The bird has been mistreated for a long time; to gain it's trust and be able to train is going to be a long time project. Are you willing to spend a set amount of times a day to facilitate this? Birdman666 is correct but it will be (for you) a big and long term project. I would be willing to help, on facebook i am the same name; send me a friend request or get a moderator to send me a pm for contact info. jh

I couldnt find your name on fb, i am willing to give it my all i have a lot of time on my hands and would like to gain trust with the bird again

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
I’m reading up on the Hispanolian, and it doesn’t look good. It seems the vast majority of these come from the illegal trade and not bred in captivity. They’re difficult to breed outside of their natural environment. Mostly native to the DR and Haiti (hence “Hispaniola”) but also Puerto Rico and some other nearby islands.

So yours was probably snatched from a tree hole as a baby, or netted as an adult, with an absolute horrible life between then and now. I’m not as optimistic as others here about your chances.

Are you ready to spend a good 4 or 5 hours a day (or more) just spitting in a chair near him and talking calmly? For like a week?

If so, you might see a noticeable difference in behavior, because this calls for some extreme measures. If no improvement, start seeking out a professional or very experienced bird keeper who will take him. Don’t just dump him on someone who can’t handle the situation.

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Try this, [ame="https://youtu.be/fRneaq9JXvM"]Taylor Trains an Amazon Parrot - YouTube[/ame] and I am [email protected] or on facebook. OK ? jh

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I didn't read for extreme detail, but have you tried leaving the cage door open during the day (when you are around to make sure she is safe) and just going about your business while placing things she like on the cage-top (without you standing over her)?
1 month is NOTHING--I got a rescue and she took 3 months to step up even though she knew how and was not cage-bound, so be patient (I know it's really hard)...build trust...

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
Patience and in extreme cases like this; a limited but regular training forum of pointer / clicker and bonding seems required. It may take months to get there. [ame="https://youtu.be/FkD2HBXScAU"]Large or Aggressive Parrots - YouTube[/ame] Is also informative. I use the search window on youtube.com a lot. Noodles123 is also correct. By making a routine time to do things you can help stage things through the day. Google your bird and its' age for dietary requirements. Experiment and find its' favorite treat. Contact me via a moderator if need be. jh

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
Aright guys so i got the parrot to step up on a stick, thing is now i feel as if i pushed the bird to do it because when hes on the stick he likes to get to the end of the stick and bite me what should i do if this is happening?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Stop pushing it.
Read his signals and don't scare him.
Did he have any prior experience or exposure to this stick or did you just stick it in there?
Why did you want him on the stick and not your arm?
I am a believer in training with my hands because it keeps me accountable in terms of reading them and not pushing too hard (bc I don't want a bite, obviously).
I'm not saying that using a stick is always bad, but it's easy to be too pushy and miss cues when you are using a potentially scary, foreign object.

Last edited:

Ceri

Aug 6, 2020
Bozeman, MT
Parrots
Jade & Jasper - Meyers - Adopted from Rescue - estimated age is 5 or 6.
I adopted 2 bonded rescues that have been cage bound their entire 5 or 6 years of life. I have to recommend you familiarize yourself w/ the "rules of 3". 3 Days, 3 weeks and 3 months. Watch this

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_RD7PFJMc&lc=Ugy03mnhPcbbRLq-6gd4AaABAg.9DRZWDPSeJV9DSswXPU7jU"]Watch This[/ame]

This video may help you. Some rescue birds are more difficult than others but you have received excellent advice here in this thread and i highly recommend you be consistent in these next years with your new bird.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Superb advice! Taming a wild/semi-wild parrot requires a different mind set!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Anyone have any tips?

Aright guys so i got the parrot to step up on a stick, thing is now i feel as if i pushed the bird to do it because when hes on the stick he likes to get to the end of the stick and bite me what should i do if this is happening?

Best to proceed at your bird's pace. Do you feel a reasonably close bond? This thread offers helpful techniques: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Have you tried reward of tiny bit of favorite snack such as almond, walnut, or seed? Repeat successful efforts before advancing. Clicker/Target training may be helpful: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

Don't be discouraged, older birds are capable of becoming tame. I had to separate a pair of breeding Goffins in their thirties due to male aggression. The female seemed interested, so I worked with her intensely for about a month. She is now about as tame as her hand-fed offspring. Just a few no-go areas such as touching her feet, but she will perch on my shoulder and cuddle.

Most Reactions