onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I don’t consider this to be a real behavior issue but I just find this quirk interesting. Ona goes to a sleep cage every night. I am normally the one who puts her to bed and gets her up. I cover the cage, tell her goodnight, etc. In the morning as soon as she hears me she begins calling “step up” and I uncover her and get her out to start our day.

Within the last couple of months, strangely she will only step up for my husband when coming out of her sleep cage. Her cage has this little door bridge that lowers down and she always climbs out onto the bridge when you open the door. At first she wouldn’t step up for my husband either. Then he discovered that if he tells her good morning, turns around and switches on the light, then comes back - she will step up immediately. I tried the same thing and never works for me. Works for him every time. For me, she accepts a cuddle but if I hold out my finger for a step up she goes back in the cage! I usually have to pick her up and she gives me a grumpy tiny pinch. Afterward she is totally fine and happy to be up. I always joke that she’s just grumpy in the mornings but I find it so odd that she will step up for him and not me - especially since she’s more bonded to me. 🤷‍♀️

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Also should add: I haven’t actually tried training or anything with this. I bet if I got out a safflower seed I could easily get her to step up easier and maybe eventually she’d just stick to the pattern and do it. Might be worth tying at some point, idk.

I’m just so curious and confused about why she does this. If only I could read her little birdie mind…

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Also should add: I haven’t actually tried training or anything with this. I bet if I got out a safflower seed I could easily get her to step up easier and maybe eventually she’d just stick to the pattern and do it. Might be worth tying at some point, idk.

I’m just so curious and confused about why she does this. If only I could read her little birdie mind…
Syd won't either out of his sleep cage. I have found he will if I offer him a piece of perch and he sees that I have a seed in my hand. Often he likes to take his time and climb on top of the cage to survey his realm before he agrees to come with me. We have now added a visit to the bathroom first thing and he dispenses his first big plop in the loo which is great. He then performs a little ritual dance as I flush which is really comical. Then he transfers to my shoulder and the day can start. I do think he changes with the available light, but sometimes I just wonder if he just doesn't want to get up yet.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Opie has started climbing his door and basically doing a chin up to get on top l, rather than stepping up, all while saying "step up" 🤣 Also just first thing in the morning.

🤷🤷🤷🤷

For him my only guess as to what changed is that he has a little routine on the morning of "wanna gimme kiss" and on top of his door is my face height, compared to when he'd step up on my finger then have to be brought up to my face height? I dunno.

It's cute that she has a different routine for you vs your husband :) I have no idea why she changed up her pattern but I bet you're right that a little reinforcement of the behavior you do want will work a charm for smartie Ona 😍

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Well it sounds like she's not the only one who has weird morning behaviors :LOL: The only thing that really worries me is we plan to have a bird sitter in October and I hope she doesn't pinch her in the mornings getting up, heh. I guess since she's a bird sitter she's probably used to it....

Most Reactions