Opaline red rump parakeet

deedee89

Oct 3, 2019
Hi everyone. A few months ago we said we would rehome this bird for a family friend as they were moving and couldn't keep it. We've done research and are pretty sure it's a opaline red rump parakeet but know nothing about birds. Its got free run of the living room and has massive cage which is always open. He or she is very nervous but we love him or her cwey much but we think he or she is missing companionship. Please could anyone help me in telling me If they think we have a boy or girl and which would be best as a companion boy or girl. Thanks everyone I hope my picture has attached having trouble

Attachments

• 20191230_192409.jpg
    20191230_192409.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,102
OP
D

deedee89

Oct 3, 2019
Hi we dont know the people we rescued from didn't know anything, sex of bird (male or female), breed or age. He/she is so nervous. I really hope it becomes tame one day

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome and thanks so much for accepting responsibility for this beautiful bird!!

I have no experience with parakeets and hesitate to offer advice. Hopefully members more familiar can post helpful suggestions.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Yep, it's a Opaline Red rump
Like all members of the Neophema and Psephotus family, they should always be kept either in pairs or in a colony, as they are normally flock birds
All Psephotus Grass parrots are flighty, so care should be taken to prevent it escaping or flying frantically
I would purchase a mate for it, and make sure to provide natural browse (if you are in Australia, I don't know your location), natural browse such as bottle brush and melaleuca (paperbark) varietys
The bird you have is a male, so I would pair it up with a female, because males can get aggressive towards each other
Make sure there are no places where, if you purchase a female, she can lay eggs (only if you don't want to breed them of course), because that will stop her from being triggered into breeding mode
If you would like to breed them, buy them a Grass Parakeet style nest box, and when they are breeding remember to feed plenty of calcium like shell grit, lightly baked egg shells and cuttlebone, as well as fruit and veges daily, but not too much fruit, just a small piece of apple, as it will send them hypo
Best of luck, and remember to ask plenty of questions because that's when good results happen with your birds
Thanks
Noah Till

OP
D

deedee89

Oct 3, 2019
Thank you sorry for the late reply, migraine wasnt a fab way to start the new year :(never mind. Im in the United kingdom England so I will get him a female as you seem to know your stuff. I thought males might fight so I'm happy to get a female for him. I'll make sure there are no nesting places, what sort of thing would they see as nesting places? I have a wardrobe in the room and he flies and perches up there so might have to try to discourage that as a possible nesting place when we get a mate. Hes really really nervous bird and very quiet so maybe a female will bring him out of himself :)

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
That's ok
Any sort of little places that are dark where the can crawl into or under is where they might lay eggs
More than likely they would lay eggs at some point, in that case just throw them out and after a while they would return to normal
Hopefully he will calm down a bit, if he doesn't don't be worried, that's the typical nature of Psephotus Grass parrots
Good luck
Thanks
Noah Till

OP
D

deedee89

Oct 3, 2019
Hi thank you again for your help before. We have had a contact in a garden centre near me in the UK that's found someone who has some red rump grass parakeets but has asked if they dont have opaline whether another variety would be ok for me? I just wondered if another variety of red rump grass parakeet (I think she said green something) would get on just as well with my bird? It it makes a difference to them as being a novice I've no idea. Hope you dont mind me asking. Thanks

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Ask as many questions as you want, that's why we have a Parrot Forum
Another variety of mutation would be fine, because you are not breeding them, but if you were to breed them I would have suggested to stick to the same mutation, to keep lines pure
Thanks
Noah Till

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Another variety of mutation would be fine, because you are not breeding them, but if you were to breed them I would have suggested to stick to the same mutation, to keep lines pure
Thanks
Noah Till
Mutation doesn't mean another species. Different mutations sure can be bred. They both are Red rumped parrots, babies also would be.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Thanks
Noah Till
Mutation doesn't mean another species. Different mutations sure can be bred. They both are Red rumped parrots, babies also would be.

I am saying to not mix mutations in order to keep mutation lines pure, so they don't get mixed into one big pool, because then lines can produce undesirable young
I don't think you would want to be breeding opalines, then all of a sudden a green appears
Not trying to be rude, but I am not sure where you came up with the statement thinking that I was referring to them as different species
Thanks
Noah Till

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Thanks
Noah Till

I am saying to not mix mutations in order to keep mutation lines pure, so they don't get mixed into one big pool, because then lines can produce undesirable young
I don't think you would want to be breeding opalines, then all of a sudden a green appears
Not trying to be rude, but I am not sure where you came up with the statement thinking that I was referring to them as different species
Thanks
Noah Till
That's nonesense. No one breed only one mutation. In some cases it is more danderous than different mutation. I don't mean opaline mutation but for example lutino in many species (I don't if red rumped parrot also, I'm writing in general) if parents both are lutino, babies can have traubles with their eyes.
Btw If somebody wants to breed 2 bird of one mutation, to me it's more intersting if there will be a combination with another mutation. I don't see any problem in it. Another species - budgie has a lot of mutations which are very common. I'm sure it's very hard to get one which isn't any spilt.

"I don't think you would want to be breeding opalines, then all of a sudden a green appears"

If you mean standard, it is genetically impossible. From two opalines have to be opaline babies. There can only be a combination, eg rubino (opaline lutino). I breed rosy Bourkes - it also is a opaline mutation. If some of my babies would be eg rubino I would be so happy

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Lady and gentleman, most of us are clueless as to the effects of Mendelian Genetics but marvel at the beauty. I'd personally love to learn more with respectful discussion!

OP
D

deedee89

Oct 3, 2019
Sorry to cause any friction. I'm not looking to breed any how just get a happy female for my Male. On that note I got a call today and in less than a week a female opaline red rump parakeet will be ready for me to get. Thanks for all your help so far Noah and everyone. What's the best way to introduce her to him? With other animals I'd say a separate cage so she has her own space, is that similar with birds?

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Sorry to cause any friction. I'm not looking to breed any how just get a happy female for my Male. On that note I got a call today and in less than a week a female opaline red rump parakeet will be ready for me to get. Thanks for all your help so far Noah and everyone. What's the best way to introduce her to him? With other animals I'd say a separate cage so she has her own space, is that similar with birds?

No worries, introduce him to her in a separate cage for a few days, then release her with him early in the morning, so she has a full day to settle down.
Good luck!
Thanks
Noah Till

Most Reactions

Latest posts