Opening a bird rescue

SamBeben

May 8, 2019
Parrots
African Grey, Moustached Parakeet
Hey all!

I'm looking to open a bird rescue somewhere within the next 10 years and I was curious what other experienced bird owners would like to see out of a rescue?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
safe cages (no zinc, lead , nickle) and serious screening of adoptive parents--if birds don't get adopted, a long-term situation where they have a home with daily, positive interaction, a large cage, proper nutrition and out-of-cage time.

A legally required return policy if they do get adopted and life throws a curve-ball, or if they cannot handle the bird due to behavioral issues (hoping that would be screened out, but it happens, I am sure) potentially micro-chipping to verify identity/re-sale issues. Also, a promise not to breed the bird...
As well as, very clear clear clear education on fumes, chemicals and ptfe/pfoa/ptfe/pfcs AND how these are non-negotiable in a bird house..and being very cautious about adopting birds to first-time owners in tenuous situations..including those in noise-sensitive housing, or those reliant on their parents.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am curious. What is the business model for a parrot rescue? I really would like to know.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A business model for a Bird Rescue? That is a great question as a 'For Profit' model has no foundation for success. A 'Not For Profit' has a somewhat better chance but, I have not seen one survive longer than 20 years.

Some General Notes:
- Verification of Local Laws regarding operation of this kind of Business, i.e. local law(s)
- Legal Documentations are required at State Level, Registered Business!
- Federal Documentations are required to obtain a 501 classification!
- The above needs to be in place for 'others' to donate: money and stuff and/or to have a working relationship with Bird Clubs, Public Organizations, etc...
- A method of having a continued flow of 'money' is necessary as your personal starvation will not provide enough funds to keep it running.
- Support of a local Avian Medical Professional is critical. As any Parrot coming in needs to be examined!
- Receive /Surrender /Buy /Sell Agreements.
- A supply of individuals that are willing to provide their time for Free to care for the Parrots.

Last edited:

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
I've contacted 2 rescues before I picked up Winston on Craigslist. Both encounters were somewhat negative. I wanted a rescue that is more willing to educate, more willing to listen, and more willing to not be critical right away.

The first rescue shot down pet owning parrots right away (granted it was operating more like a sanctuary than rescue even though they have adoption). When I ask the rescue what would they suggest to future bird owners, she said "GET MORE THAN 1 BIRD! They are flock animals!" Honestly, she didn't educate me on what to expect in parronting. She just showed me how depressed her birds are before being surrendered. This rescue assumed pet owning parrots is bad, very bad.

The second rescue was a little better. They were willing to work with me to a certain extent, but the vetting process did not make me feel comfortable at all. They want to know if I have vet reference, and I informed them no because I moved across states and have not had a pet in the area. They first said ok then they came back after a few days assuming "cuz you don't have a vet reference, I don't know if you can afford a bird. You know, I spend thousands on my rescues." Hello, couldn't you just simply ask if I understand and can afford the expense of owning a parrot?

I completely understand that rescue operation is not easy, and you must vet each applicants. But I feel the parrot community is overly critical. Not every good owner would fit into a box. Not being in the box does not mean you would be a horrible owner. If you do open a bird rescue in the future, I wish you can be happy doing what you will be doing, but still be curious in your applicants. When you are curious, you ask questions. When you don't enjoy working with your applicants, you demand and hold back all the birds.

Just my 2 cents. I recognize my rescue encounters are very limited, and there must be great rescues out there.

Last edited:
OP
SamBeben

SamBeben

May 8, 2019
Parrots
African Grey, Moustached Parakeet
I am curious. What is the business model for a parrot rescue? I really would like to know.
I'm currently in college so I don't exactly have a plan right now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts