Opinion On Using Foster Hen

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
So I have two separate parrotlet pairs currently sitting on eggs. One pair should be close to hatching. As in the next day or two. Should be. However, they are not a proven pair, and I do not have a good feeling about the pair in general. I managed to catch mom out of the nest box today and candled the four eggs she has, and all of them are clear except one. The past few days, I've noticed her spending more time out of the box, and I am starting to think she is losing interest, but I don't want to lose the one viable egg, because it looks like it should be hatching in the next day or so.

The other pair just started laying this week. They are my really good proven pair. The produce excellent babies, they are wonderful parents. Pretty much an ideal breeding pair. I want to take the one egg from the pair I have a bad feeling about and give it to my good pair.

However, I don't know if it would cause an issue because the egg is about two weeks ahead of her clutch. I would end up pulling the baby, if it hatches, to hand feed before her actual babies hatch, but I don't want to sacrifice her babies for a shot in the dark. Like I said, she is a really good mom, they are both really good parents, they raised a clutch of 6 last time. If the age difference in the eggs isn't an issue, I will give her the egg from the other hen so it has a better chance. If the age difference in the eggs will be an issue, then I will leave the one egg with the uncertain hen and just hope for the best.

I know people use breeding pairs to foster for other pairs often, and successfully, I just never have before and don't know if the age difference will be a detrimental factor. Anyone ever experience this?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
First, as you know, none of my breeding experience is with parrotlets.

In my experience that would most likely lead to the foster mom not properly hatching out her own clutch. I only foster when the eggs in switching were laid within a few days of each other. Otherwise it can mess up the breeding rhythm and you can lose both clutches. My suggestion is to let the new pair have a chance, but be prepared to intervene if things go south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts