onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My Ona girl came home from the breeder weaned on Pretty Bird pellets with a small amount of Cockatiel seed mix added in. Iā€™ve stopped adding the seed mix and am now using that for training treats. She eats just the pellets fine. In fact sheā€™s a little piggy and eats practically anything we put in front of her.

Opinions on pretty bird pellets? Link here: https://www.greatcompanions.com/product/pretty-bird-daily-select-bird-food/bird-supplies

Sheā€™s getting fresh veggies too.

Edit: link above doesnā€™t list ingredientsā€¦ this one does: https://www.prettybird.com/breeder-select.html

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
My first conure was raised on Pretty Bird Pellets, as were my first cockatiels. They did okay on them, though they are a bit expensive. SOme people don't live the fact they use dyes to color their pellets. I can't remember if they still do that.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think the colored pellets make bird droppings more ā€œstainingā€ to clothes, carpet, and furniture, so I donā€™t feed them and transition a bird off of them. However, when Lucy broke her leg and stayed at the UW vet clinic, thatā€™s all they fed. She wouldnā€™t eat a bit of it and I had to bring her regular zupreem. (UW clinic seemed to think she was a brat but Iā€™m glad she got her birdie needs met.)

I know that Jasper (Meyers) prefers the fruit blend zupreem that Willow refuses to his natural zupreem.

Jasper likes bright colored toys, too, where Willow is scared of them. I have always thought the colored pellets were a marketing tool aimed at owners. Who knows?

(Thereā€™s a ā€œchicken thoughtsā€ comic strip about this but I canā€™t find it.)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm not a fan of coloured pellets, not only because colours are unnecessary but also because they can change the colour of the droppings, making it harder to tell illness.

Here is a good list of pellets and ingredients:

Most Reactions