ouch...getting bit

Chrisja77

Mar 14, 2012
Marion, AR
Parrots
TAG - Cody
I have had my TAG for almost 3yrs. Cody bonded strongly with me until about 6 months ago when he starting biting me. I don't know what the deal is. He will come to me a lot of the time and hang out, acting just fine and then suddenly strike out at me. Also he took a chunk out of my hand recently when I tried taking him to his cage. Any ideas?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mishka my AG of almost 7 years also bit me for absolutely no reason, took a chunk out of my hand EINA

I then began picking him up with a stick until the lunging and biting stopped.

If I notice he wants to bit the stick comes out immediately.

Have you perhaps changed anything around, moved the cage etc, birds are very sensitive to any changes?

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Changes like tattoos, shirt color, jewelry, hair coloring or surroundings making him uneasy about coming out of the cage?? He's also at the age where they are hitting puberty, could be raging hormones.

OP
Chrisja77

Chrisja77

Mar 14, 2012
Marion, AR
Parrots
TAG - Cody
Great so I have a 15 yr old daughter AND Cody to cope with lol. No changes that I can think of. It is just odd because one minute I may be getting kisses and the next OUCH!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
CAGS and TAGS tend to be opinionated, and tend to want to be handled on their own terms, and be the one in control. And they have a beak like a scissors.

I trained mine to push fingers away if he doesn't want to. Persist and he will still bite. Only bird I own that is not allowed on shoulders (displacement biting issue.)

My guess is that is a component of this. Amazons and TAGS/CAGS are also notorious displacement biters...

Most Reactions