Ouch! The Ugly Side of Parrot Ownership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
I’ve been wanting to make this post for awhile now for the sole purpose of educating those that are new to parrot ownership or even to those that are just scrolling through the forums.
Although there are always going to be great experiences and deep honor in knowing that we get to give our feathered friends our love and care, this post is going to highlight one of the ugliest points of parrot husbandry, aggression. No one wants to deal with it, but this is always going to be an inevitable aspect of parrot ownership whether we are equipped to encounter it or not.
Why do parrots get aggressive? Many reasons. One of them being the onset of puberty. Puberty for parrots is similar to that of a human, but in a birds biological timeline. Parrots that enter puberty are experiencing rapid bodily and emotional changes due to raging hormones that can also alter their behavior for a brief period of time as they transition from baby to adult. Puberty in parrots can make them bitter and more reluctant to cooperate in normal routine and even leads to aggressive behaviors toward their caretaker simply due to the fact that they can feel their bodies change in a way they haven’t experienced before, causing them to lash out and get out of character from the once innocent baby bird we knew.
Maybe your parrot is older or already finished with puberty? This sort of cycle between sweet and bitter changes with birds as the seasons change. When the weather is changing from warm to cold or cold to warm, or the daylight cycle alters, parrots (just like their wild brethren) can instinctively feel this change and act accordingly with it through hormonal behaviors. These could be nesting, mating, or acting more aggressive. Especially with mating behaviors, parrots seek out a favorite person in the household and try to mate with them, and if the favorite person doesn’t accept their advances, then the bird will most likely bite or attack because their wants are being denied. Additionally, parrots molt during these times where their old feathers fall out to form new ones. These pin feathers are pretty uncomfortable for them and is also another reason they seem more finicky and angry.
Parrots can also be aggressive due to them being poorly cared for. This can include poor or improper avian diets, improper housing, unsanitary housing, no out of cage time, or even as far as abuse or neglect. While all unfortunate, parrots have emotions and reactions just like humans do. They can sense, feel, and see. So if their most basic needs are not being met, then they are going to feel that and react in a negative manner as they get older and keep living under poor conditions. Parrots in small cages, with no out of cage time, or lack important nutritional needs, are more likely to become aggressive to others simply because they associate humans with continuously putting them in these sort of conditions, which makes parrots very scared and vulnerable. Some parrots also have a history of abuse or neglect which can make them more untrusting of humans to even handle them, thinking everyone is going to keep treating them the same way. It’s very sad.
Finally, parrots can also be aggressive due to disruption in routine. Parrots are super sensitive, and by personality, some more than others. Someone in the household has probably done something that ticked off the bird and they can get aggressive and start biting or lunging simply because they are one to hold grudges. Parrots can also lose trust in their humans because of small nuances that they simply do not like. Because what we may think is not a big deal, is everything in a parrots eyes. Fear, such as being in a new environment, can also factor into their aggressive nature and should also be considered when taking in a parrot.
While very heard of, it is so important to reiterate the ways in which to stop or minimize aggressive behaviors with pet parrots.
The main way to get parrots to minimize aggression is to redirect those aggressive behaviors onto something else. Get your bird to be interested in something other than getting at your finger. This redirection of behavior and interest takes some time for very aggressive birds, but patience is key. For some, this can take as little as minutes. These ways of redirection can also get your parrots more opportunities of enrichment and mental stimulation, which is crucial in their care.
Some ways to redirect aggressive behaviors are:
1. Target training
2. Foraging toys
3. Getting parrots used to shredding and destroying toys
4. Outside time
5. Trick training

Just to name a few.

The last thing I wanted to discuss was the lack of education in our part as the caretakers of these birds. This lack of education and unawareness of parrot aggression and their level of sensitivity makes us doubt or question ourselves or blame it on our birds, leading to the birds ending up rehomed. With a lot of birds already being rehomed due to many reasons, it all mostly stems from our lack of education, which should not be the case. It’s important to research, it’s important to volunteer, it’s important to gain experience with these creatures so as to make sure that sending them off to another home or an adoption facility is the last thing on our minds. For the sake of our feathered companions.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
This was very well written! I couldn't agree with you more. In the United States shelters are full. Some are full to the extent that they cannot take in any more rescues. There are circumstances that are not preventable, and then there are the very sad stories where a situation was completely preventable. I myself volunteered at a parrot shelter. It was a very positive learning experience. Most people on this forum have a good amount of experience with parrots, and some I would consider experts that could probably give vets a run for their money (this would not be me). I just wished people would realize when you see Macaws, Amazons, Eclectus parrots, cockatoos, and so many more that cost thousands of dollars sitting in recues... there is a reason. Parrots can be very challenging at times. They have their adorable, loving, funny moments as well. I don't think I could not own a parrot. There are dog people, cat people... Then me a bird person! I only have 2 of them. That being said I'd be a crazy bird lady if my husband would allow it ha ha ha ha. I also know that I can't provide enough time for more parrots. Anyways, thank you for the well written post. Hopefully it will help someone make a good educated choice before buying a parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
parrots are more work than any other animals and pets i have had. More work than horses, more work than dogs, more work than cats, more work than bunny, more work than hamster or gerbils.
Only my saltwater seahorses compared in the amount of time and dedication, but they didn't scream or bite ;)

Parrots are very intelligent and thst comes with needs, they are very social and not solitary creatures and that comes with needs, and they are active , evolved to cover a lot of territory and that's hard to provide for, unacceptable to spend a majority of their time in a cage. And to me unacceptable to have wings clipped , as their respiratory system is linked with flight, their only major muscles are linked with flight, how their brain process information is linked with flight, as a prey species flight is how they escape stress, as intelligent creatures freedom of movement and being able to self direct movement by their natural locomotion of flight is omg important!

People's expectations that a parrot is kept in a cage just waiting till you have time, or expectations that they should just stay put on a t bar or play stands, needs to change.

They suffer physiologically in a way we do not tolerate in any other creature, especially ones we call pets

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
A prime example of this is... I got my covid booster shot yesterday (no, I'm not going politcal there is a point). I was so tired today. I tried to take a nap on the couch, and Nico climbed down his stand, up the sectional couch, across the sectional couch to the other side, and then jumped down on my chest as I was sleeping. I screamed bloody murder! I also didn't get a nap today as Nico felt that him getting attention was more important. I think people really do think parrots are more for looks/decoration when they buy them? I'm not exactly sure. They do make for horrible ornaments! They really can't sit still ha ha ha ha.

moon1964

Jun 8, 2018
Washington
Parrots
double yellow-head amazon...Angel
blue-front amazon...Blue
mine don't fly and not because there clipped...i have clipped in the past cause i would take them outside to bathe them.. and now they think there still clipped but mostly they because i have an aggressive one and i don't want him attacking me. they do fly only when scared

op2myst

Jul 12, 2014
northern Illinois
Parrots
Tasha, an Alexandrine parakeet of unknown age
parrots are more work than any other animals and pets i have had. More work than horses, more work than dogs, more work than cats, more work than bunny, more work than hamster or gerbils.
Only my saltwater seahorses compared in the amount of time and dedication, but they didn't scream or bite ;)

Parrots are very intelligent and thst comes with needs, they are very social and not solitary creatures and that comes with needs, and they are active , evolved to cover a lot of territory and that's hard to provide for, unacceptable to spend a majority of their time in a cage. And to me unacceptable to have wings clipped , as their respiratory system is linked with flight, their only major muscles are linked with flight, how their brain process information is linked with flight, as a prey species flight is how they escape stress, as intelligent creatures freedom of movement and being able to self direct movement by their natural locomotion of flight is omg important!

People's expectations that a parrot is kept in a cage just waiting till you have time, or expectations that they should just stay put on a t bar or play stands, needs to change.

They suffer physiologically in a way we do not tolerate in any other creature, especially ones we call pets
This is very well said and I feel this information is underappreciated. Pamela Clark, an experienced parrot behaviorist, once told me, "Every thinking person who owns a parrot eventually comes to the conclusion that they should not be pets." I suspect they may feel the emotional pain of separation and rejection much more strongly than we do, as in the wild they are never separated from their mates, except by death or capture. We cannot provide them with the majority of their wild needs such as flocking, choosing mates, raising young, flying free, and using their considerable intellect to find food, avoid predation, raise young, and survive. My Grey cries with such feeling every time I leave the house unlike any other companion animal (or my children!) have ever done. And so many captive parrots worldwide are in frankly deplorable conditions. I wish it were unacceptable to keep them as pets, and that environmental tourism was the norm, to see them in their wild habitat with minimal interference and generate capital to prevent their habitat loss and extinction.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is very well said and I feel this information is underappreciated. Pamela Clark, an experienced parrot behaviorist, once told me, "Every thinking person who owns a parrot eventually comes to the conclusion that they should not be pets." I suspect they may feel the emotional pain of separation and rejection much more strongly than we do, as in the wild they are never separated from their mates, except by death or capture. We cannot provide them with the majority of their wild needs such as flocking, choosing mates, raising young, flying free, and using their considerable intellect to find food, avoid predation, raise young, and survive. My Grey cries with such feeling every time I leave the house unlike any other companion animal (or my children!) have ever done. And so many captive parrots worldwide are in frankly deplorable conditions. I wish it were unacceptable to keep them as pets, and that environmental tourism was the norm, to see them in their wild habitat with minimal interference and generate capital to prevent their habitat loss and extinction.
I agree..
so I'm only taking re homes
Even then I feel Im Not doing enough
We had a member from a northern European country. She said they had laws that parrents had to raise the chicks, but you could socializ them , only special present rejection were you allowed to hand raise. You had to have 2 parrots never one only , and a very large enclosure.
I hope that is true and is were parrot keeping is headed

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I agree..
so I'm only taking re homes
Even then I feel Im Not doing enough
We had a member from a northern European country. She said they had laws that parrents had to raise the chicks, but you could socializ them , only special present rejection were you allowed to hand raise. You had to have 2 parrots never one only , and a very large enclosure.
I hope that is true and is were parrot keeping is headed
My budgies are all bought from a pet shop, but in the future I will only be taking those in need (rehomes, disabled in petshop etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts