Our BFA recently lost her mate

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Our bfa was bonded with a sweet lilac who suddenly passed of a stroke. We have let her grieve for a few weeks but she’s still just not her happy self which I understand takes time but we really do think she misses having a companion as that’s what she’s always known. We have more than enough room and love to give to find her a friend. We are not just getting another to make her happy we are getting another because our house was just happier and we miss that. Our question is should we get another lilac or are there other birds that typically get along with bfa’s I know there is never a guarantee that they will bond or even be able to be housed in the same room. We would love a too pionus or eclectus but I’m not sure if that’s a safe option. They will never ever be caged together but we would like for them to be (in time) be able to roam freely in the bird room and play on the jungle gym together. We are prepared to house in separate rooms for a while and even forever if that’s what is needed. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Also is it best to get same sex or male/female. We will never breed they are just our family members which is the main reason that I didn’t really want to get another amazon. But if that’s going to be the best fit for them to possibly get along happily then that’s what we will do.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry to read about your Lilac Amazon passing, always a very sad occurrence, especially when its sudden like that.

My little Yellow Shoulder Amazon got on famously with a friends BFA when we had play dates with them. Cant say its true for other YSA, though.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am sorry for your loss and I understand better than most I think.

I had a bonded pair of amazons. Orange wing amazon male/Red lored amazon.
My OWA died first. Not sure of the cause but symptoms were like several small strokes or seizures.

I Would say it put my RLA into mourning for around 4 months.
I gave her extra attention and spent more time with her but it wasn't what she needed.
I had a (and still have ) a yellow nape amazon but he is only bonded to me and was no comfort to Pacho.
Pacho the RLA followed my Orange wing amazon in death less than a year later through my .... missing signs of the problem and well IDK I sometimes think she did what she did deliberately .

I totally understand having that hole in your live your Lilac amazon has left.
Having a multi-amazon household is entertaining enough you don't need TV.

If it was me I would try for a bird as close to your BFA as possible.
I would also do at as soon as is practical. Don't jump at the first amazon that comes across your view but when it's right I think you will know it.
And if the new bird chooses you then your off to a good start no mater the reaction of your current bird.

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Sorry to read about your Lilac Amazon passing, always a very sad occurrence, especially when its sudden like that.

My little Yellow Shoulder Amazon got on famously with a friends BFA when we had play dates with them. Cant say its true for other YSA, though.
Thank you! I will look into the yellow shoulder because I’m not familiar with them.

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
I am sorry for your loss and I understand better than most I think.

I had a bonded pair of amazons. Orange wing amazon male/Red lored amazon.
My OWA died first. Not sure of the cause but symptoms were like several small strokes or seizures.

I Would say it put my RLA into mourning for around 4 months.
I gave her extra attention and spent more time with her but it wasn't what she needed.
I had a (and still have ) a yellow nape amazon but he is only bonded to me and was no comfort to Pacho.
Pacho the RLA followed my Orange wing amazon in death less than a year later through my .... missing signs of the problem and well IDK I sometimes think she did what she did deliberately .

I totally understand having that hole in your live your Lilac amazon has left.
Having a multi-amazon household is entertaining enough you don't need TV.

If it was me I would try for a bird as close to your BFA as possible.
I would also do at as soon as is practical. Don't jump at the first amazon that comes across your view but when it's right I think you will know it.
And if the new bird chooses you then your off to a good start no mater the reaction of your current bird.
Thank you so much for the advice we were kind of thinking the sooner the better but we do want to take our time and be sure we make the right decision for all of us.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As well advised above, please take the time to allow you Amazon to adjust to the recent lost of a long time friend. Such relationship are deep and they need the time to understand what has happened and they are still part of this family. Spend the time with your Amazon and assure lots of one-on-one time.

When you begin looking for an Amazon remember to let the new Amazon choose you! This as noted above helps greatly in developing that all important bond with the Humans. Also allow the Amazons to see each other from afar to garner some time and exposure with each other.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for your loss, and my heart goes out to your BFA as well.
Watching them grieve is just as hard as grieving ourselves.

We have an OWA who is bonded with my Blue-headed Pionus. The Pionus runs that relationship, and if Slater (OWA) wasn't as attached to him Talli would be in trouble with some of the stunts he pulls.

I know that you will be able to find the perfect friend for your BFA and yourself, one day it will just feel right.

Most Reactions

Latest posts