Our dear IRN passed away two days ago

wonderfulworld

Apr 24, 2021
My family got our IRN from Petco in the state of Utah when he was 5 months old in 2006. He passed away on 4/22/2021 at the age of almost 15 years in Texas. He moved with us to different states, different apartments. He was so elegant to see which brightened our days every day. He was not a Pet and never allowed my kids to touch him. My wife and I cleaned his cage every day, replaced paper in his cage, so he was friendly to us. I always had one-on-one with him eye-to-eye. He always liked it.

He was active until the afternoon. I accidently noticed that he could not move from the bottom of the cage where he plays often. His legs were paralyzed. I took him out from the cage to the floor. Within a few minutes, he took his last breath in front of me, my wife and two kids. We are still grieving, and can't accept that he is not with us.

I was thinking what I could do differently to prolong his life. So I though to ask, how long does a Ring Neck Indian Parrot live? Is 15 years a young age?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so sorry. What a painful loss that must be after 15 years. IRNS generally live 15-30 years, but there are reports of them living to 50 etc (30-40 seems to be the average).

There are many diseases (viral) that they can carry without symptoms (at least initially). Diet can play a large factor, as well as the use of scented products (such as aerosols, candles, Glade-Plug-ins, household cleaners, perfumes etc) or Teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs. Fatty liver etc or nutritional deficiencies can also impact this.

It's hard to say without a necroscopy. Some diseases, such as ABV can take up to 10 years to manifest, so it is really hard to know without testing, but I'd look into diet etc and ABV and PDD, although those are just common deadly illnesses that impact them (sometimes after many years).

It sounds like he was very well-loved, and I would say that quality is more important than quantity, although the other info I listed may help in terms of any future birds. Pleas know that ABV does stick around for ages on surfaces and in AC vents etc. It is important not to re-use anything and clean very very well if you plan to get another. ABV is very tough to kill, as is PDD.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm very sorry for your loss.. parrots are very special , and the bond runs deep.

I had study articles that found average for birds Amazon size and smaller is 20 years. This was an actual scientific study. Yes there can be birds that live longer.

An important factor in long life is excellent nutrition, lots of fresh veggies. Exercise also plays a big role, flighted birds get more exercise, closer to what nature designed them for. I have studies in my ornithology thread on this. Lack of exercise leads to break down in DNA and other biological changes.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Amazons live for ages though..."Amazon size"?

I am questioning the validity of this study based upon phrasing alone. Laura- you know I love you, so please don't take this question/commentary to heart.

If one attributes life-expectancy to size, then one must assume that it is a difference in care that alters longevity---- again, Amazons often outlive the majority of parrots..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This was other only scientific study i found. Average means so lived longer some less. There are lists of age range in lots of sites but they dint provide source points data. So who makes the range?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3289156/#!po=43.2039
" to meet these needs, we analyzed 83, 212 life history records of captive birds from the International Species Information System and calculated lifespan and breeding parameters for 260 species of parrots (71% of extant species). Species varied widely in lifespan, with larger species generally living longer than smaller ones. The highest maximum lifespan recorded was 92 years in Cacatua moluccensis, but only 11 other species had a maximum lifespan over 50 years. Our data indicate that while some captive individuals are capable of reaching extraordinary ages, median lifespans are generally shorter than widely assumed, "

" Amazona clades whose mean maximum lifespans were 15–25 years"

" Parrots have a reputation for being one of the longest-lived avian taxa (Prinzinger, 1993). This analysis of 260 species of captive parrots spanning the order Psittaciformes demonstrates that even closely related clades of parrots can differ dramatically in lifespan and duration of reproduction. While a few individual parrots have lived for nearly a century, the majority of parrots in captivity did not live much beyond two decades. "
Excerpt from link.

Noodkes no worries, if yiu have other science ir research that shows longer, I would like to read.

Last edited:
OP
W

wonderfulworld

Apr 24, 2021
We give him a few carrots, apple slices and grapes, one or two peanuts every day. In recently years, his favorite were peanuts. He also started liking cashew and raw almonds. Our house is built in 2013 and do regular AC service. We use non-stick pans like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00323P8DQ/ which is pet friendly.

He spent most of his time in the cage especially after the pandemic started last year. My family was going through much stress during the pandemic, so we did not care him roam around everyday. The whole kitchen is his on Saturdays and Sundays only.

He survived with us whenever we moved to different places and different environments. I thought he could live longer like 30 years because of his perseverance to survive in situations and my children had to take care of him.

We buried him after an hour after he passed away. There was no Vet Hospital opened in the evening when he passed away.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wonderful World,
Please know I'm not judging you. Man o man I know how much it hurts to loose them!!

I'm just providing information. Especially if yiur love fir parrots has you one day bringing home a new freind.

We her talk diet all the time, and changes and new information is always coming out. Grapes have little nutrition, same with apple, really they fall more into " treats" most agree feeding leafy lettuces, like romaine, things like bell peppers, hot peppers, sprouts, cooked sweet potatoes, squashes, ok so there is a huge list of safe healthy veggies.

For fruits their is more value in mango, pomegranate, deep color berries like black berries, raspberry, fresh cherry not pit.

I'm not saying you played any role in the death of your psrrot. I think he had a good life.

OP
W

wonderfulworld

Apr 24, 2021
Thank you for the diet info.

I have noticed that my IRN did not like anything of black or brown color. He likes anything in green.

I don't think I will get another Parrot because we both crossed our age of 50 years and we need to focus on our kids who are 10 and 7. I don't think any Bird can replace him who came to our life at a stage we needed somebody to teach us parenting.

He was an intelligent Bird. When we were in Ohio once, we got a call from our neighbor that our Bird escaped the cage. He broke the lock and escaped from the cage himself.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just provided info because you asked
""I was thinking what I could do differently to prolong his life. So I though to ask, how long does a Ring Neck Indian Parrot live? Is 15 years a young age?"

There are so many older parrots that need a good home, so don't let your age stop you , if things change.

They are so smart and special.

We honor the bond and the very real grief here. Im glad you have your human family to support you and love.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for the passing of your beloved IRN. May his beautiful memories give comfort and relief from sadness over time.

You may in the future desire parrot companionship at most any age. It is possible to arrange care for them in your absence given long life spans.

OP
W

wonderfulworld

Apr 24, 2021
Hi original name was KIWI. The shop did not know the sex. He did not have a ring neck when we brought him home when he was 4 months old, so we named him JESSY. He developed his ring neck in an year.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I made a small donation in Jessy's name to Cornell Univ vet program, directed to the parrot related studies and programs.

OP
W

wonderfulworld

Apr 24, 2021
I made a donation to a local Parrot Rescue place https://bird-haven.org/ based in South Dallas. I would like to donate a small amount to Cornell University Vet Program for Parrot study. Please let me know the link.

Jessy had a majestic look when he had all his feather on. He shed his feather once every year for 3 weeks. My colleagues used to make fun of me because why I choose Green as my favorite color.

He knew both of my and wife's feelings very well. A few times whenever my wife became sick, he sat at her feet every day. That was very unusual.

Most Reactions