Our New Parrot Is Biting Us

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I'm very,...happy that he has stopped biting me ! He found out that I'm boss. lol What helped was I stopped using my two fingers to step-up. At times when I read he's not in a good move, I only give him my arm. If he doesn't, I say ok, let me know when you want me to come get you and go into the living room. He'll say,...Hi ! or Hi-ya ! Hay ! and so on, so he'll then step up on my fingers. We think that at one time, a male handled him pretty harsh. Also, he HATES it when I put on a ballcap, he'll raise his umbrella and puff up his body feathers, then he'll try to go back as far as he can in his cage or fly to a chair in the living room or even in the dinning room. One I remove it, he'll stare at me and figures out it just papa. We believe that's why it took such a long time to accept me. The only change that hasn't happened is when Patty gets home from work, when he's on Patty, he'll still raise his umbrella and sometimes still hiss at me. But what's different, he'll be on Patty and run down to her feet talking then back up to her head, jump onto the back of the couch, run to me, and says HI....Hey There ! and run back. It's so funny !!! šŸ˜‚Probably 6 out of 10, he now jumps onto my stomach then jump up to the couch again......It's MUCH better now and we Love him dearly !!!
Thatā€™s great he is no longer biting you.

Iā€™ve been bit by parrots so many times Iā€™ve lost count. If you bump a little pin feather on my one conure you are for sure getting nipped at. I feel like Iā€™m the queen of avoiding getting bit, and could write a book about it at this point šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m sure as you, and your parrot start being around each other more youā€™ll learn a bunch of things he was taught from his past. I also adopted my parrot. He was 16 years old when I got him. My parrot learned some profanity in his past, and speaks them fluently. One of his owners had emphysema badly. My parrot coughs like humans. If you open a bag of chips my parrot will run to you immediately, and becomes relentless to get a chip out of your hand. I definitely donā€™t feed him chips. Some of the stuff is interesting that I learned.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thatā€™s great he is no longer biting you.

Iā€™ve been bit by parrots so many times Iā€™ve lost count. If you bump a little pin feather on my one conure you are for sure getting nipped at. I feel like Iā€™m the queen of avoiding getting bit, and could write a book about it at this point šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m sure as you, and your parrot start being around each other more youā€™ll learn a bunch of things he was taught from his past. I also adopted my parrot. He was 16 years old when I got him. My parrot learned some profanity in his past, and speaks them fluently. One of his owners had emphysema badly. My parrot coughs like humans. If you open a bag of chips my parrot will run to you immediately, and becomes relentless to get a chip out of your hand. I definitely donā€™t feed him chips. Some of the stuff is interesting that I learned.
We would all read your book about parrot biting!

But we soldier on.

Most Reactions

Latest posts