Over-eating?

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi y'all. Missy had escaped but with a huge amount of work on my part, and the help of some truly wonderful people, I was able to catch her, 6 days after the escape. When I finally managed to grab her, it was raining, she was soaked and... in my opinion, was nearly done. She was weak and starving. I was blessed to have been able to catch her, VERY blessed. It was 8pm when I caught her, daylight savings here so it's usually light until 9:30 pm, complete dark at 10pm.
Directly after catching her I fed her the neo mix because it was all I could think of that would give her a fast food injection of nutrients with the least amount of effort. She wolfed that down and I then made some egg and biscuit mix because again she was weak and it needed to be nutrient rich, she ate a lot of it but was so tired. I let her sleep and when she woke I gave her some more of it, she wolfed it down. She then happily went to her cage with Gracie and slept. I got up thru the night to check on her and she was fine.
The next day all she could do was eat and sleep. Eat and sleep, eat and sleep, eat, and sleep... She would rarely fly, just too exhausted and weak I dare say.
It's now day 4 of her being home and... well... I am now worried she is over-eating. She eats, and eats, and eats. It's looking promising that maybe now, she will ease off on the eating as she is now flying around like she used to, she has something else to do other than sit there and eat, but as I am saying this, she is eating.... millet, which is there mainly for Gracie, as Gracie is not adapting to a change in her diet. That's on another post.
Am I worrying over something that will settle in time or has anyone else had a bird that simply won't stop eating?

Attachments

• 20220107_063806.jpg
    20220107_063806.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 60

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Try removing the food and if she's calm about it, give it back to her briefly and then remove it again. In time she will learn that she should not be overeating. You can also just cut back on how much you feed.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Try removing the food and if she's calm about it, give it back to her briefly and then remove it again. In time she will learn that she should not be overeating. You can also just cut back on how much you feed.
Wonderful. Will do. Many thanks

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Let her eat. I'm sure she lost a lot if weight. She will regulate herself.
Escape burds can loose 25% of body mass in a few days!
Definitely let her eat
I'm so glad you got her back

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts