Owner's guilt and worries about the future

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I hope this post doesn't sound like a therapy session, but ever since my Quaker had surgery back in January, my nerves have been more shook up than usual. Please don't judge me, I get that by plenty of people (mostly non bird people though).

I was 22 going on 23 when I adopted my Quaker. Then I was 23 going on 24 when I adopted my Sun Conure.

I thought I had a bright future ahead of me and that my birds and I would have a great life in our own place which I would own. I would be working an amazing career and making a great salary.

Fast forward, I am 40 and going on 41. The girls are 18, and while we are still together, I am kind of back where I started in my 20s. I was never able to get off the ground and make those big dreams. I had lost jobs, failed at getting a special certification, worked with a start-up company that went under, started a side business that failed, never bought a condo, etc. Now at 41, there is still a lot of guilt and worry that sits with me when I am alone with my thoughts..

Now granted I work (two jobs to add to full time) but I don't make a lot of money. I am living with my parents and renting off of them because that's the only rent I can only afford. Also, I actually have a great relationship with my parents. My father is my best friend and my mother and I are pretty tight. I am the youngest of their three girls and thank God they still love me even though I would be considered the family loser.

I will be honest, if I had known at age 22 that my life would be a series of failures, maybe I would not have adopted birds. But of course, if I can't remember life pre Sunny and Nikki. I just feel really bad and worried for the three of us, especially them. I don't want to fail them and don't ever want to have to rehome them, ever.

I am grateful for the great relationship I have with my parents. I am grateful for them allowing me and my birds to rent and live with them, but obviously given that my parents are older than I am, this is not a permanent living situation. So I worry about where I will end up in the future when that day comes. It's one thing when it is just you that you have to look after, but add two senior birds in the mix and that changes things.

I worry about getting in a freak accident and dying before my birds even though I made arrangements for that should that happen.

I just get really triggered when I read bird stuff and they will make a point to the perspective of bird parents that you have to have a great income and basically money to take care of a bird. After reading all that stuff. It's amazing my birds are still here. I tell you by the grace of God they are alive today.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Where to start?

The answer is likely you coming to terms that spending a bunch of time on what could or should have been is wasting your time not moving ahead! Sitting in place spinning your wheels will never allow you to move forward.

Reality! The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow! And That will be True long into the future1 Somedays will be cloudy and it will rain, but the Sun Keeps Coming Out!

What you do with that reality will make all the difference.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have to be very thrifty!
I fight the worry cycle constantly. With poor health a d excessive medical bills..ugh
But I try and enjoy the little things every day. I love nature and look for all the little beauties around me. Tiny wild flowers beautiful wasps, and flying critters. I've gotten 4 neighbors planting pollinators flowers. That brings me peace

Most Reactions

Latest posts