so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It was 1989. I remember the year very well because it was the year my son was born.

I was happy with my 2 amazon parrots and not looking for more. But there was this pet shop next to the bank I went to every week. I was in the habit of walking through the pet shop for seeds or toys or whatever.

When I walked in the saleswoman was chasseing an amazon parrot around the floor. She had a perch in her hand and was trying to get it to step up onto the perch. The bird was in High Gear and running away as fast as it could. The picture that formed in my mind was crystal clear in an instant.

There was a T stand in the middle of the shop and I am sure the bird had been placed there. The woman had walked passed the bird too quickly and startled the bird into escape. She did not want to get bitten and the bird was afraid of the perch and the large saleswoman.
I got in front of the bird and lowered myself to her (the birds) level and offered my hand. The bird stepped onto my had right away and I set the bird back onto the T stand.

I learned that the bird was 7 or 12 years old I don't remember exactly and had been taken to the shop to be sold. I went right back to the bank and got the money and bought the bird right away.

We named her Pacho after one of my mother-in-law's bird of the same breed (red lored amazon):green1:.

She was in a separate cage at first but due to the closeness of Plumas's cage the would groom each other through the bars. Eventually we tried them out together in the same cage and they have got along ever since.

She if friendly with me and somewhat friendly with my son. There have been some mating between Plumas and Pacho but never had eggs. We were not trying to breed them. We only put them together because the got along well with each other. We did not know or suspect she WAS a she until the difference in behavior became um obvious.

So that is how I ended up with 3 amazon parrots.
It was not planed out, just happened. I love them all.

texsize

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sounds like it was meant to be! They're both beautiful birds. I especially love the color of Red Lored. They are striking in person.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for sharing Pacho's story! Plumas and Pacho's long enduring bond is deeply touching. It's great to know some parrots have not only a fantastic home and the best of care but true happiness as well.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am crazy about my flock but I always wanted to explain HOW I ended up with so many.

The next bird was Lucky and he is the cockatiel that got me started on those little darlings.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I can't wait to hear your next story!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Beautiful pair, wonderful story!
Thanks, Tex.

I totally understand what you mean about wanting to explain yourself and your choice of bird(s)!
:52:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Sometimes the best things in life are unplanned! I so love how Pacho and Plumas have bonded, their life is so enriched because you happened to walk through that store, and listened to your heart:)

Most Reactions