May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
Green cheek conure "squeakers"
CAG"Barney"
Is it possible to paint a bird cage? And if so with what? Or should i get it re powder coated? And where could I do that and what are the general costs for that?

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Re-powered coated is best, but yes you could repaint, I think it's krylon you can use, not 100% sure

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
You'd need to find a powdercoater in your area and get a quote. I got a verbal rough idea over the phone for a small cage I have, it was a few hundred dollars. Basically, the cost will depend on the size of the cage which determines how much product they need to use. There are different types of powdercoating, talk to them and make it clear you need their most "bird safe" product, the one without the zinc.

For regular painting, you need child-safe paint and you need to do it, and then leave it for some time (like a month or something) so that it dries very well and any fumes being given off by the paint have dissipated.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Is it possible to paint a bird cage? And if so with what? Or should i get it re powder coated? And where could I do that and what are the general costs for that?

If you take it somewhere to have it done professionally, they will most likely want to sandblast it first. The cost adds up VERY quickly.

Triordan is right, the Krylon paint is safe (once dried). :)

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
I priced sand-blasting and powder coating a cage and it was cheaper to buy new :(

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
and it was cheaper to buy new :(
The reason I was/am looking at doing it is because the cage is not one currently available, it's a good size for what I want (or what I wanted, before I bought her a new cage). In many cases, it wouldn't be cost effective, but if you've got a really good, solid cage, it can still be worth it.

Dec 23, 2013
There has been no lead in any paint for over 30 years...wire brush it and sand the frame pcs...prime and paint..paint and leave it outside for a few days..it will "flash off" and completey dry much quicker...install bird...enjoy

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
If you have a bird that chews cages I would only get a powder coat because it will be harder to chip. Otherwise repainting it yourself is fine.

Most Reactions

Latest posts